Sign in to follow this  
DREWSR

Deep Black Pearl

Dare I change my colour and go for DBP

Really worried about how hard it will be to keep the dreaded paint swirls off it,

anyone here got one ? do you maybe regret getting this colour ? or what do you do to keep it looking good?

cheers

Andy

I have a Deep Black Pearl R. I love it when it's clean but getting it clean and keeping it that way is a labour of love. 

I sometimes regret my colour choice, nearly swapping for Oryx and then nearly getting an Indium but both times things fell through and the change never happened. I doubt I'll have a black car again. But if you have the time, facilities and more importantly the patience and skill then it's well worth it!

My car is by no means perfect but look at her... 😊

IMG_2646.thumb.JPG.a3774e4f1c5171740a4f884a3ce0b46c.JPG

7 minutes ago, ashleyman said:

I have a Deep Black Pearl R. I love it when it's clean but getting it clean and keeping it that way is a labour of love. 

I sometimes regret my colour choice, nearly swapping for Oryx and then nearly getting an Indium but both times things fell through and the change never happened. I doubt I'll have a black car again. But if you have the time, facilities and more importantly the patience and skill then it's well worth it!

My car is by no means perfect but look at her... 1f60a.png

IMG_2646.thumb.JPG.a3774e4f1c5171740a4f884a3ce0b46c.JPG

Your car looks great!  When youve nailed the detailing on a dark car its very rewarding and looks awesome!  As per my previous Black Mk5.

Any slip in the regime or a visit to a high street car wash and its trashed. Will never give into winter laziness again - using these guys who rub the paint with what seems like brillo pads! 

Now having completely flipped to Oryx i love the look.  The maintenance in theory should be the same but its very forgiving.  Something that irritated me with the black was the fine layer of brown dust that appears after day one! 

The white seems to look clean even when theres a layer of grime on it.  Ill still be out doing unneccesary OCD detailing on it though.

A slight gripe is the brown brake dust on the black diamond cut wheels. Not sure about paint stone chips yet.  Ive touched one up on the lower bumper and cant tell it was ever there.

Photos dont quite capture the same wow factor when an Oryx white car has been detailed but it does look great in person!  Perhaps too much light and no perecived reflection.

r32.jpg

14 hours ago, DREWSR said:

Dare I change my colour and go for DBP

Really worried about how hard it will be to keep the dreaded paint swirls off it,

anyone here got one ? do you maybe regret getting this colour ? or what do you do to keep it looking good?

cheers

Andy

I have DBP and no regrets at all.  It's my 4th pearl black performance Golf so was under no illusion as to the effort needed to keep it looking well.  

DBP (as is case with the mid and darker colours) shows swirls more readily than the lighter colours so if you are concerned about these things then it needs careful consideration because maintaining DBP to keep swirls at bay is a hard work and cab be time consuming  - it is a labour of love, (one I relish myself), it certainly helps if you are into detailing - you might find it leads you into detailing, so the time factor is not to be underestimated if you want it to look its best. 

The key to keeping DBP looking it's best is:  adequate time to spend on it; regular maintenance; good and careful and washing/drying/sealing techniques; a decent set of detailing gear/products, but.........an enthusiasm for detailing is probably the number one necessity, and number two necessity is......a DA. 😝

There's some recent pics (and many others) of mine in this thread:

And lots of pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Here's some DBP flake:

27982757541_b15417ee0a_o.jpg

7438d97d4d0813d0a5cec0a40813eab6.jpg

27982763641_d23f0c190c_o.jpg

27982762461_2c9b588006_o.jpg

4227d941d9e0faeaaf5465f4d9eb38be.jpg

8aa46e3db77dfa68adb0d9c8fb4a780f.jpg

52467415db3063d9092730e7f2fcd894.jpg

2a2bd66c390302eddd1d6aa4b5b19441.jpg

With a decent protection product DBP can be greatly enhanced. 

It's also worth flicking through this thread to see the flip side of DBP, because it ain't all shine and sparkle! 😂

7 hours ago, DREWSR said:

Their is no doubt that looks fantastic I can even see you in the bumper taking the picture,

That's the look I'm after Black everything, oh I just don't know....

Go for DBP mate, looks amazing clean - but even better dirty. 🐒  😗

I have DBP with the black Pretoria wheels and it is fantastic. It has GardX on it, which makes cleaning very quick and easy as long as you keep on top of it. Clean it every week and it'll only take 20 mins to wash and dry with a mirror like finish.
But keeping a black car clean is another thing......
When the GardX wears off (probably a year, don't listen to the salesman), I'll get it polished and ceramic coated to keep swirls at bay.

87c04ccd6da91f08e7938def7c2900e9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My last Golf was a DBP - never again!

Look great when just clean/washed/detailed.

I accept that living in the country makes life worse in this particular aspect, but just a mile or two would destroy any finish, heavy dust or mud splashes, and the back-end was just a nightmare, being a dirt magnet and all :).

How to keep it clean and shiny - close garage doors and do not use!!

Oh, and you will need several coats of quartz and a decent DP to maintain.

Love it when it's clean, makes me depressed when it's not but come on . . . even on a cloudy day  . . . . 

It's awesome, mine is Gtechinq protected with Crystal Serum Light and Exo top up - still has swirls but not too bad.

iPNXu3.jpg

I gave mine a days worth of polishing with my DA after getting it and its into a pro tomorrow to finish the job and get it ceramic coated.

As others have said, its a labour of love. I dont think time is really a major issue though if you are prepared to spend the hours on a full detail and good protection at least twice a year. Do that and maintenance washing and a proper carefull drying wont take long the rest of the time.

In winter I only use citrus pre wash then snow foam and bilberry wheel cleaner and rinse it off as the roads are so bad. This is a quick and easy contactless wash that keeps it pretty clean and swirl free over the winter. (Ive had other pearl black cars before)

My old A3 was ebony black (pearl) nightmare for swirl marks and seemed to be always in need of a wash ha ha. The DA polisher made good work of it, not perfect but was alot better. I loved that car and the colour but vouched id never have black again. So went and had a rising blue Roc now the lapiz R lol also bad for swirl marks ha ha cant win. I quite like the idea of the gtechniq ceramic coating, my freind with a merlin purple S3 8v just had his done and its beaut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had two DBP cars now an no problem.

The whole black is harder to keep clean is crap - the car is just as dirty regardless of colour. I would rather have the satisfaction of it looking incredible when cleaned than have it looking average, or perhaps boring, in other colours...

Also those who say it swirls easy/more easily, that's just poor washing technique...

I always tend to go for black cars these days - it's worth the effort imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow just wow,

Some of these pictures of your cars are awesome and I can tell its a labour of love

I like the black I really do but something is  telling me not to do it, definitely would not have the time you guys put into your cars

though I am a proper 2 bucket washer and really look after my cars.

Going to have a look a dealers this weekend to see it in the flesh hopefully can make up my mind,

Still have a little time to decide not even got a build date yet , come on VW.

Thanks for the help

Andrew

13 minutes ago, DREWSR said:

Wow just wow,

Some of these pictures of your cars are awesome and I can tell its a labour of love

I like the black I really do but something is  telling me not to do it, definitely would not have the time you guys put into your cars

though I am a proper 2 bucket washer and really look after my cars.

Going to have a look a dealers this weekend to see it in the flesh hopefully can make up my mind,

Still have a little time to decide not even got a build date yet , come on VW.

Thanks for the help

Andrew

In the sun, you just can't beat it. When I wash my car it usually takes me 4 hours for the exterior and 1 or 2 for the interior.

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.fde2715ffaa98105b81936fb785d46e0.JPG