Dave R

Hesitation under acceleration

Had my R for around a month now. I'm really happy with it, although there is a slight hesitation when accelerating (throttle at approx 50 %) from low rpm, almost like a Miss fire. it then picks up and pulls really well with no flat spots and the power seems to build strongly throughout the rev range. It's not a problem (I hope) just wanted to know if this is normal for the R engine? Mine has manual gearbox. 

Cheers

Dave R 

I don't know....I am thinking a blown engine....low rpm....could it be magic, sorry, a little bit of turbo lag? 

still doesn't beat the guy who complained about the 'triangle' of missed coverage by the wipers...

40 minutes ago, Dave R said:

Had my R for around a month now. I'm really happy with it, although there is a slight hesitation when accelerating (throttle at approx 50 %) from low rpm, almost like a Miss fire. it then picks up and pulls really well with no flat spots and the power seems to build strongly throughout the rev range. It's not a problem (I hope) just wanted to know if this is normal for the R engine? Mine has manual gearbox.

I've had something similar since new, on a DSG.  It's difficult to explain - it feels like a plug is dirty and there is a drop in power momentarily.  If I floor it, there's no issue though!  It's noticeable when pootling around town and I haven't managed to ignore it in 14 months of ownership...

Thanks for the reply Bob. Owned several turbo cars previously And I'm aware of turbo lag thanks.  This is an initial judder/ misfire which lasts for a split second when accelerator is pressed. Not been present on any other turbo cars I've owned, hence the question..

2 minutes ago, Dave R said:

Thanks for the reply Bob. Owned several turbo cars previously And I'm aware of turbo lag thanks.  This is an initial judder/ misfire which lasts for a split second when accelerator is pressed. Not been present on any other turbo cars I've owned, hence the question..

what gear/what RPM? - I think you already know you need to take back to dealer...R has very little lag

It's booked in for Apr stage 1 in a couple of weeks. The guy who is carrying out the work says that he will carry out a diagnostic health check before carrying out the remap I'll let him know about the judder. He's been a vw man for 20 years plus so I'm sure he will pick up on anything that's not right. 

10 minutes ago, kopiter said:

I've had something similar since new, on a DSG.  It's difficult to explain - it feels like a plug is dirty and there is a drop in power momentarily.  If I floor it, there's no issue though!  It's noticeable when pootling around town and I haven't managed to ignore it in 14 months of ownership...

Sounds the same. Maybe just a characteristic of this engine. Like you say, only seems present when driving around town. 

1 minute ago, Dave R said:

Sounds the same. Maybe just a characteristic of this engine. Like you say, only seems present when driving around town. 

this is very wrong from an owner of two Mk7 Rs

Cheers
Dave R 
Could be the usual throttle lag - there's hesitation due to the signal from the pedal to the engine. Pedal box should sort it out. There's a thread on it within the forum mate.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Cheers
Dave R 
Try looking through this mate - it's a common problem.

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12165-Pedal-box-for-DSG

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Bob said:

but he is talking about a misfire!

I'm  just not very good at explaining it! It's not a misfire just a very brief hesitation! Pedal to engine delay seems right. Thanks for the links I'll look into them 👍🏼