RSS Fast-Road Setup for MQB MK7 Golf, 8V A3/S3

With over 400HP easily achievable on the MQB platform it’s so too easy to neglect the all-important handling.

35791987754_7c17392432_z.jpg

The RSS Fast-Road Setup matched with Bilstein B16 coilover kit for the MQB vehicles has been meticulously engineered over the course of 2 years with a blend of fast-road and track use. Enabling you to get the maximum enjoyment from your MQB on the open road.  

35791982764_b616f04138_z.jpg

You will feel the car much more composed in roll, heavy acceleration and heavy braking. The result? Being able to place and hold the car in places, at speeds you never thought was possible. With all of this you would probably come to expect a harsh ride quality? Not with the combination of the RSS Fast-Road Setup and specially setup Bilstein B16 dampers. A harsh ride quality is often the combination of incorrect spring and damping rates, which thanks to our development you won’t find here.

35795019664_dd5d2c309a_z.jpg

Don’t take our word for it, this is a 400HP+ MK7 Golf R IG @mikerg's  feedback:

“Car before was unsteady and the uplift when accelerating was ridiculous. After 250 miles, yesterday car felt unreal. Bolted on the road and taking corners with it was never this fun, it allows me to have confidence on where to place the car on the road. Ride quality is outstanding in comparison to the stock ones and taking in consideration that this coilovers are considered fast road and track ready.”

36489072181_cdbe71a58e_z.jpg

For those seeking even more  performance, we can also supply Powerflex bushes which allow us to further refine the geometry suspension setup.

Track day junkie? We also supply a whole host of track day tested parts and special setup to optimise your MQB for the best lap times.

If you are interested in optimising your MQB for fast-road or track use don’t hesitate to get in touch by dropping me a PM, calling us on 02380558636 or emailing sales@regalautosport.com

35791993664_2bb5dbabee_z.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With over 400HP easily achievable on the MQB platform it’s so too easy to neglect the all-important handling.     The RSS Fast-Road Setup matched with Bilstein B16 coilover kit for

Thanks! For DCC cars we do not have a setup for damping as this is controlled by the controller, neither have we spent anytime developing on DCC cars. The fast road geometry which we have spent consid

Did Bilstein build the B16 kit for the R after their extensive testing or are you saying you tested the out of the box B16 kit and request custom Spring rates upon your own testing?  Many tuners

Did Bilstein build the B16 kit for the R after their extensive testing or are you saying you tested the out of the box B16 kit and request custom Spring rates upon your own testing? 

Many tuners supply Bilstein and KW coil kits but none normally have the knowledge over and above the manufacturers unless they are race prepping and using custom spring and damper rates.

On 20/08/2017 at 03:44, PocketRocket said:

Nice writeup. 

So this is your own springs combined with the Bilstein dampers? 

What about DCC cars? 

Any new geo settings you can share with us? 

Thanks! For DCC cars we do not have a setup for damping as this is controlled by the controller, neither have we spent anytime developing on DCC cars. The fast road geometry which we have spent considerable time developing will likely benefit your car dramatically though! 

23 hours ago, James42 said:

How much would the bushes and setup be if I've already got b16s ?

You have mail 👍

22 hours ago, Msportman said:

Did Bilstein build the B16 kit for the R after their extensive testing or are you saying you tested the out of the box B16 kit and request custom Spring rates upon your own testing? 

Many tuners supply Bilstein and KW coil kits but none normally have the knowledge over and above the manufacturers unless they are race prepping and using custom spring and damper rates.

We work directly with Bilstein, have championship-winning experience in VW Cup, participated in Porsche Carrera Cup and BTCC. There are a lot of "race prep" companies that really don't know their way around a car. 

The RSS fast road setup is the best setup for fast road use. My car is now a little too track focussed for daily driving with the AR-1 and Clubsport combination. I truly find driving a car which has the same spec as mine apart from stock wheels/tyres with the Bilstein B16 with our damping and fast-road geo more fun, as the performance is always there when you need it and its so easy to access. 

For sure the Clubsport and AR-1 do handle better, but the compromise in ride quality, noise and having to get heat into the tyres doesn't make the experience favourable IMO. 

6 hours ago, Ash-Regal-Autosport said:

Thanks! For DCC cars we do not have a setup for damping as this is controlled by the controller, neither have we spent anytime developing on DCC cars. The fast road geometry which we have spent considerable time developing will likely benefit your car dramatically though! 

You have mail 1f44d.png

We work directly with Bilstein, have championship-winning experience in VW Cup, participated in Porsche Carrera Cup and BTCC. There are a lot of "race prep" companies that really don't know their way around a car. 

The RSS fast road setup is the best setup for fast road use. My car is now a little too track focussed for daily driving with the AR-1 and Clubsport combination. I truly find driving a car which has the same spec as mine apart from stock wheels/tyres with the Bilstein B16 with our damping and fast-road geo more fun, as the performance is always there when you need it and its so easy to access. 

For sure the Clubsport and AR-1 do handle better, but the compromise in ride quality, noise and having to get heat into the tyres doesn't make the experience favourable IMO. 

I agree with your observations regarding noisy tyres needing heat to get them to the optimum operating window. Certainly as you say the car is leaning very much towards Motorsport and the track  environment.

I suspect you can really soften up the Clubsports like the KW's which I've used.....you just need a spare set of wheels and road tyres.

Agressive camber is a pain to keep changing from track to road every time you plan track days IMO......you need a company and tech's that are reasonable in cost as well.

Have tried B16's and Superpro wishbone kit out of interest.....I know it's only 1/2 a degree neg but would be quite a subtle change for fast road.?

Nah, for me, I get enjoyment from taking my car out on track more so than my daily 2 mile drive through the centre of Southampton to work. So there is little gain going to the expense and time of changing spring rates just for comfor every track day just to get a little more ride comfort on the road. The only change I need to make is a second set of wheels with street tyres, less noise, work from cold and softer side wall. 

This setup we are talking about on this thread is for customers who want to optimise their car for road use using our fast-road geometry settings and add another level by installing a Bilstein B16 kit with our damping setup. Both engineered over the course of 2 years with a blend of fast-road and track use. Enabling you to get the maximum enjoyment on the open road. 

For those seeking even more  performance, we can also supply Powerflex bushes which allow us to further refine the geometry suspension setup.

Drop me a PM if you have any specific questions 👍

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, patselby said:

Thnxs to all at regal autosport just picked golf r up drives very nice and feels very planted
Cheers Pat

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

What compression settings are you running for the road use?

I spoke to Regal recently & VRS Re the B16 DCC kit they make....basically it’s not track suitable or a viable upgrade over stock factory DCC.

I was advised to go either KWV3 or B16 with a DCC delete.

For the amount of use I get on circuit unless I get a unit fail I’d only swap out my suspension at that point.

Id like to try before I buy a B16 DCC kit but following their advice I’m holding off.

What compression settings are you running for the road use?

I spoke to Regal recently & VRS Re the B16 DCC kit they make....basically it’s not track suitable or a viable upgrade over stock factory DCC.
I was advised to go either KWV3 or B16 with a DCC delete.

For the amount of use I get on circuit unless I get a unit fail I’d only swap out my suspension at that point.

Id like to try before I buy a B16 DCC kit but following their advice I’m holding off.

I’m not DCC so not sure sorry feels very compliant on road so Road hope to get on track b4 yrs out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Msportman
Car does drive very well on road
-2deg neg camber on front grip off my a52 yoko semi slicks is unreal warm up soo quick i thort it prob b little firmer?! But got sum more clicks on adjusters to play with sorry not too much help

Pat

Even in wet grip superb!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By purplepulser
      So I've just come back from MRC Banbury, after having the full intake hardware fit treatment, including muffler delete, along with their Custom Stage 1 ECU and TCU remap.
      I can safely say I'm so impressed with the results.

After intake stuff fitted

Car sitting waiting to go on the Dyno, it was a fantastic day weather wise. Clear blue skies and sunny, but cold. Good for intake temps.

Dyno Results
      Power wise, from stock run with intake hardware fitted, it made 323ps. 
      After the 2nd dyno run following the remap, it made 395ps.

Torque, from stock, it made 413.89Nm (305.27lb ft)
      After the 2nd dyno run following the remap it made 547.63Nm (403.91lb ft)

One the brakes side of things, I decided to assess the direct OEM replacement hooked discs all round, along with braided lines from HEL. Pads, I've gone with Ferodo DS3.12 for the front, and Ferodo DS2500 for the rears.
      Front 

Rear

I purchased this totally stock car back in Dec 2020, and although it was quick, I always felt it was holding back a lot. An example of this is that I could be on a dual carriageway doing 50mph for instance and floor it, and it would pick up speed ok (relatively speaking) but there didn't seem to be any urgency to it. I always got the impression it was constantly restricting the boost and fuel, deliberately limiting power, just to maintain its factory output figures. In stock form, most of its speed seems to be concentrated in bursts from standstill up to about 60mph. 
      I had some time to test the results on my 100 mile drive back home!

Now, its completely different. Everything about it is urgent. From standstill, not using launch control, it really punches in the power, and the DSG shifts are now more aggressive and quicker. I now get the sense of being pushed back in the seat while accelerating in every gear. The power delivery doesn't stop either, it just keeps going until it hits the rev limiter and then upshifts.  If I put it in manual mode, it is just that, and it wont upshift until I change and will bounce off the rev limiter.
      And then there is the noise. I can hear much more of the intake noises. Makes a massive difference. Oh and it pops and bangs a lot more in race mode!

I don't have a draggy, so I can't test its 0-60 times, but I imagine its going to be less than 4 seconds.

Looking forward to Mallory Park on Thursday.

What does everyone think? Any questions, let me know.
      As always, let me know of any further recommendations.

• By a3scott20
      Modding List Update - July 27 2020 Edited

Performance: (503WHP & 644NM)
      -TurboTechnics V5 Turbo
      -TurboTechnics LHD Intake Pipe
      -RacingLine Oil Catch Can System
      -RacingLine R600 Intake System
      -Fluidampr Crank Pulley
      -APR High Pressure Fuel Pump
      -APR Intercooler System
      -APR Silicone Boost Hoses
      -Aquamist HFS4 Meth System Direct Port Injection
      -VW Akrapovic Titanium axleback
      -HurricaneSport Catted Downpipe
      -PagParts Walbro 525LPH Low Pressure Fuel Pump
      -Torqbyte PM4 High Power LPFP Controller
      -LiteBlox LB28XX LiFePO4 Lightweight Battery
      -KakaRakis Performance Billet Intake Manifold
      -Grams 70mm Larger Throttle Body
      -CSF Engine & DSG Coolant Coolers
      -iABED Engine Oil Cooler Kit

Software:
      -HurricaneSport ECU Stage3 with Multiple Maps (1.8, 2.0 and 2.2bar)
      -HurricaneSport TCU Stage3
      -United Motorsport Gen5 Haldex

Interior:
      -EZT Carbon/Napa Edition Steering Wheel
      -Corbeau RRS Seats
      -BFI Heavy Weight DSG Shift Knob with Giallo Taurus Air Leather
      -LEYO DSG Shift Paddle
      -AEM Boost Gauge
      -Aquamist Meth Flow Gauge
      -Aquamist 10L Internally Baffled Water Tank

Chassis:
      -KW DCC Suspension
      -Eibach Front & Rear Sway bar
      -APR MQB Pendulum Mount
      -Unibrace UBQ
      -Unibrace XBQ
      -APR S01 Silver Forged 19" Wheels
      -Goodyear Eagle F1A5 19" tires

Braking:
      -Alcon Car89 Brake System w/380mm Discs & ENDLESS MX72 Plus Pads
      -Rear 370mm Discs upgrade w/ PMU R800 Pads

Exterior:
      -Maxton Design Full Body Kit
      -Carbon Fiber Lightweight Vented Hood

Hello everyone,

This is Scott from Taiwan 😀 I am here since January but was just lurking around and watching everybody's build thread.

After 4 months waiting, dealer told me the car has finally arrived and asked me if I would like to see the car before the official pick-up date, it was really excited for me so I went to the dealer....

Car Spec: LapizBlue | 7-Speed DSG (DQ381) | DCC | Dynaudio | Pretonia |ACC

My previous car is AUDI A3 Sportback 2.0T FWD DSG, and was running Pagpart's EFR7163 big turbo kit that made 530WHP & 660NM. The reason I got rid of my 7163 A3 is because I would like to play something different but AWD car, running big power 530WHP on a FWD car was really really terrible once WOT, kind of scary to drive the car at that time.

• By SamClarke97
      Can anyone help?

I've just had 13mm front & 16mm rear spacers fitted to my Golf R. I currently run 18inch Pret's from VW. Can anyone recommend springs to fit to this setup? I'm looking at 15mm Eibachs, to avoid rub but to reduce the arch gap.
    • By Jacobrownoly
      Hi all, Needing some help here.

Just spent most of the day today installing my Blistein B14 coilovers to my MK7 R (non-DCC) along with brand new uprated top mounts.

After the installation, along with a few ups and downs on the ramp getting the car height right, the car was done!  

First impressions the height looked perfect and overall the drive is much better.

Problems started to occur then turning the wheel full lock both ways at a stand still and when turning at low/creeping speeds. There is absolutely no noise what so ever now when going over bumps slow or fast, its just when turning at very low speeds! 🤬 

The creaking and knocking is horrendous when doing this and I have no idea why it should be this bad. 

We took our time with the instalment and made sure everything was tighten up as it should be. The car feels a lot better at normal speeds but its only when at a stand still or going very slow and turning that I am getting this awful knocking. 

The car will need to get alignment some time this week which may or may not make things better, but surly the alignment can't be that off to cause this kind of noise.

Any ideas what else to check or what this may be?

Really annoying when you spend good money on parts and it seems to cause more problems.

Many thanks. 

• By Batch
      Thought I’d start my own thread to avoid clogging up all the others on here! 
      So 5th March my new PCH car arrived, an R estate in Tornado Red. Only extras I specced were the paint and Dynaudio upgrade; I didn’t want to go mad on a lease car but didn’t want plain white, and having had B&O on my S3 I had to have the premium audio option! Also to be honest I’m not a fan of the leather interior for the R and much prefer the look of the cloth/alcantara (and since having the car can honestly say these are the best seats I’ve ever been in!). I’d owned the S3 outright so it was almost top-spec give or take a couple of items. It was also quite highly-modified running suspension and brake upgrades, VWR intake and inlet bits, Milltek DP and MTM Cantronic unit (which was superb).
      As much as I wanted to spec Prets, I couldn’t justify the expense on the monthlies as I had all the kit from the S3 to swap over including a set of custom-finished REVO RV019s. So the car arrived on the standard, “unusual” shall we say Cadiz wheels...

By the Wednesday, I’d had the wheels, intake setup, dog bone mount and DP swapped over and given it a good wash after its trundle down from Cardiff. The swirls and contamination in the paint of a brand new car are frankly horrific so I’m planning on a full correction then several coats of CC Platinum Paint and Oracle in the next week or so...

The MTM unit wouldn’t work so it was either pay to recode it or sell it on and go for another option; that decision was made for me by the purchaser or our S3 offering a good price for it with the car. Likely to go for a SHARK STS with Stage 2 map.

Next up was a set of carbon fibre mirror caps; not a fan of the satin chrome ones which to me belong only on an Audi S/RS and I wanted something to tie into the gloss black details. These were popped on in five minutes by Martyn at M.D. AUTOBAHN at Gatwick,can’t recommend him highly enough so anyone in the area look him up!

And to bring me up to date, last Friday saw a set of VWR/Racingline springs go on. I very nearly went coilovers after road testing a C5 RS6 on KW V2s last autumn but wanting to keep costs down I opted for these. Not disappointed in the slightest - there is NO discernible compromise in ride quality, the damping is not affected by the shorter and stiffer springs but it sits much nicer and the handling is improved no end! I had Eibachs on my last two S3s and these springs I feel are better than them. Certainly the 8V sportback (so MQB still) was a lot crashier and harsh on them whereas this just feels perfect!

Quick before and after but the car has settled a bit more since.

Got to admit so far I fully love this thing - tech, seats and comfort all better than the S3 which suddenly feels a bit dated. The gearbox is excellent, with the 7th gear making a real difference to fuel economy and cruising, only thing it needs is the extra power and torque the S3 had. And this looks awesome! Can’t be a meaner looking estate around at the moment surely?

For those of you interested I’ll keep this updated as I go. Already regretting just having it two years!