Sign in to follow this  
.Griff.

M140i Ownership - Considered all the options and went for a...

Plenty of R's left at the bottom of the hill in Ebbw when the snow hit - my M135i was sat outside the house at the top...

Winter wheels/tyres and the right use of TC have as much if not more to say about competency 

The R was appalling in the recent snow on the Bridgestones from the factory.

Remember I'm driving both of these day to day right now. The M135i is getting a handful on winters but its still p*ssing it down enough with a low enough road temp to leave them on for now. Once its consistently above 12'ish degrees then the 19's will go bak on.

The R Hearse is on WinterContact 850 winters too nowb but as theres only one set of wheels it'll stay as is but then its still a fair bit colder/wetter in wales than the south coast!

This is the thing - tyres - Mine has a full set of PS4Ss on and the handling in all weathers is just ridiculously good. I drove back from Tregaron at the end of January - never had so much fun - even blipping the throttle to match the gears and engine speed on downshifts. 150 miles with two stops in just under three hours - just brilliant and the manual box wasn’t a chore either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Currently looking at one of these but not sure if it would be too frustrating after getting so used to how planted and surefooted the R is... lots of big discounts out at the moment though, plus you can actually get hold of one and it’s not in a big car park on the continent somewhere

Also find myself feeling like if I do go rwd again, should just do it properly and get the m2...

You happy with yours? Any spec you’ve not got you wish you did? MPE worth having?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, keano said:

Currently looking at one of these but not sure if it would be too frustrating after getting so used to how planted and surefooted the R is... lots of big discounts out at the moment though, plus you can actually get hold of one and it’s not in a big car park on the continent somewhere emoji849.png

Also find myself feeling like if I do go rwd again, should just do it properly and get the m2...

You happy with yours? Any spec you’ve not got you wish you did? MPE worth having?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're curious - happy to let you have a blast in mine depending on where you are of course!

Lots of the BabyBMW guys are picking up the M135i's due to the depreciation on the 140 at the moment due to the discounts.

11 hours ago, keano said:

I'll start with the M2.

If you mean an S55 M2 Competition then go for it. An amazing car.

If you're referring to the N55 M2 then I wouldn't bother; not enough difference from the M*40's to justify the price difference.

As for my car, yes very happy indeed. Spec wise in hindsight I would have added adaptive cruise control and maybe rear-view camera but that aside I'm happy with spec I chose.

As for the MPE. I didn't pay for mine so in that sense yes it was worth having. Would I pay for it. You know what yes I would. Looks and sounds much better.

If you need any specific information please feel free to ask. 

I think the DCT gearbox is better than the 8 speed though isn’t it? Plus I think the engine on the N55 with the MPE sounds better. They needed to sort the suspension though although that can be sorted with an aftermarket upgrade. Shame they didn’t get it right in the first place.

DCT is only available in the older coupe or M2.

8 speed is one of the best boxes there is.

Not a single failure known of unlike the DCT.

They can develop a whine on 2/R - people don't realise they are closer to a manual box than a slush - they actually run shafts for gears and a clutch.

They fit it to big Mercs, the Quadrofoglio and many more 500+bhp cars so it is understressed in the M135/140i.

12 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

I think the DCT gearbox is better than the 8 speed though isn’t it?

Not necessarily. I had an E82 N55 135i with DCT previously and it's a good box don't get me wrong but the ZF8 is an amazing box. There's a reason it's so widely used and fitted to Maserati's, Jaguars, Bentley, Aston Martin, Alfa, BMW etc.. 

12 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

Plus I think the engine on the N55 with the MPE sounds better.

As above I had an N55/MPE combination in my last car. Personally I prefer the B58 soundtrack, especially at higher revs.

As above I had an N55/MPE combination in my last car. Personally I prefer the B58 soundtrack, especially at higher revs.

I’m toying with an M240i because A) I’m a bit disillusioned with VW at the moment and B) the 140 is just butt ugly - plus I found the seating position in the ordinary 120d bloody awful although I’m not sure how close to the 140 the seating position is - I’m just getting the urge for a six pot engine as I don’t think they’ll be around for long. It’s a pity I can’t find a 240 with adaptive dampers as I know the M suspension of old was pretty poor but I’ll have to test drive one to see. I think the 8 speed auto might suit the 240 better than the manual though.

Very nice
My friend has one in exactly the same colour and spec.

Im going to take a punt next week atone in my local BMW dealership. I do like the Shadow Edition. 

M2 Comp still on my list but may have to wait for a while till prices come down.

Good luck on the prices coming down! They’re not moving much on the older M2s but I think some BMW dealerships are being arrogant over prices.

4 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

plus I found the seating position in the ordinary 120d bloody awful 

5 door or 3 door? 

I have an F21 3 door and the seating position is spot on. 

5 door or 3 door? 

I have an F21 3 door and the seating position is spot on. 

I can’t remember tbh mate - it was a hire car and my back was in bits after a drive to Southampton and back. The Hyundai i30 I had the following week was far more comfortable!

48 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

I’m toying with an M240i because A) I’m a bit disillusioned with VW at the moment and B) the 140 is just butt ugly - plus I found the seating position in the ordinary 120d bloody awful although I’m not sure how close to the 140 the seating position is - I’m just getting the urge for a six pot engine as I don’t think they’ll be around for long. It’s a pity I can’t find a 240 with adaptive dampers as I know the M suspension of old was pretty poor but I’ll have to test drive one to see. I think the 8 speed auto might suit the 240 better than the manual though.

This one caught my eye recently.

Note the adaptive suspension.

I think the M2 comp is just too aggressive looking..attract unwanted attention?

The M240i is understated by comparison and has many of the attributes of its big brother

(i entered a false post code for the motors.co.uk search)

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-51451129/?i=0&m=mcp