35 profile tyres too harsh for bad roads

Hi I recently bought a late 2016 golf R and really impressed so far. I have owned and modded Impreza and Evo in the past and the acceleration and overtaking ability for under 300bhp is amazing! Poss helped by the DSG obviously.

The one thing I am finding though is that even in "comfort" it's still crashes about and gets unsettled at higher speeds. Our roads up here are pish though! Not so much the pot holes as the bumpy Unevenness. 

It has the 19" Prets and was wondering what difference the standard 18s may make? 

I have P zeros on 19 Prets and do not find them that bad.

we do plenty back roads B Roads and Unclassified.

even on the M54 with its crap surface, popping car in to comfort sorts it.

admittedly I have come from 19 Bridgestone runflats - so metal wheels would be an improvement ;)

i assume pressures are setup on all corners?

12 minutes ago, Tark said:

It's Pirelli P Zeros on at the moment. Do you think swapping to Michelin ss would help then? Just assumed it was down to the lower profile of the tyre but would be great to be able to keep the pretorias as they look good 

I had P zero before the Michelin be it on a different vehicle but they tramlined and skipped all over the place on uneven surfaces. 

I run 38psi all round 

And did so on the Bridgestones. 

5 minutes ago, Gavras said:

I have P zeros on 19 Prets and do not find them that bad.

we do plenty back roads B Roads and Unclassified.

even on the M54 with its crap surface, popping car in to comfort sorts it.

admittedly I have come from 19 Bridgestone runflats - so metal wheels would be an improvement ;)

i assume pressures are setup on all corners?

Ye will def check pressures but only had service check from dealer 2 weeks ago. I live in w coast Scotland and our main trunk road is horrendous! It's lumps and bumps like the tar was just layed over the top of bogs lol. If you get a good section it's fine though. 

Just now, Tark said:

Ye will def check pressures but only had service check from dealer 2 weeks ago. I live in w coast Scotland and our main trunk road is horrendous! It's lumps and bumps like the tar was just layed over the top of bogs lol. If you get a good section it's fine though. 

Definitely check your tyres if had a service.

mine where on 41 when I had mine delivered.

have had it previously with dealers / garages setting tyres too high.

yeah, I can imagine what roads are like there lol.

we go up to North Scotland regularly and the standard of road does degrade a fair bit.

Hi I recently bought a late 2016 golf R and really impressed so far. I have owned and modded Impreza and Evo in the past and the acceleration and overtaking ability for under 300bhp is amazing! Poss helped by the DSG obviously.
The one thing I am finding though is that even in "comfort" it's still crashes about and gets unsettled at higher speeds. Our roads up here are pish though! Not so much the pot holes as the bumpy Unevenness. 
It has the 19" Prets and was wondering what difference the standard 18s may make? 

I'm afters a full set of Prets for mine as I have the 18" Cadiz, if you hate the ride that much, I'd happily swap you mine (4 perfect wheels and X4 new Avon ZV7 tyres)
But seriously, I had the same with my previous car running 19's on 35 profiles, if your running Pirellis like I was, swap them to another brand, you'll probably find it drastically improves, I went to Conti's and the car felt 10 times better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that's why I want a set for mine, they look amazing on the R, actually been into TPS today to get a new air filter for mine and also a pollen filter/air filter for my wife's TT and asked if they can get hold of the prets, there answer, yes sir, we can order them, would you like to know the price?? Followed by would you like to bend over the counter and close your eyes or do you want to see us shafting you!! Lol

Enjoy your hols, you'll soon be back enjoying the R, just with a suntan!!

Love the Prets, had the choice of a car next to mine with them on but lower spec and I went for the spec but wished I could have haggled a deal where they swapped the wheels aswell. I'll get some one day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just switched from Conti 5Ps to Michelin PS4S (both 19s on 35 profile) and the difference is very notable.  The ride on the PS4S is much less crashy, and they just soak up bad roads better, and are considerably quieter. It's like a different car in some respects.  Best tyres I've had.  Worth the high cost imo.

I've been at odds with my P Zero's since getting the car in Feb. I've had 3 cars with 235/35/19's and this Golf has the worst ride. Unsettled at high speed, slightly crashy, I'm convinced its the tyres. All at 38 psi. I've tried 36 psi, 41psi. The Michelin PSS on my RS were very good, just felt like they supported the car's weight properly. I liked Conti 6's too.

Might eBay these Zero's and go for PS4s's. 

These PZero's are for fast saloon cars though, not sports cars like the OE PZero's on Porsches. I wonder if VW just supply tyres with whoever they get a deal with, not whats best for the car.