New R - Annoying 'features'.

There's a couple of things that are really annoying on my new R.

1. The way the revs blip when changing gear over about 4k. I guess its to help match the revs with leisurely gearchanges, but when pressing on, makes it harder to get a fast and smooth change.

2. That ridiculous red warning icon flashing up on the dash, together with the loud beeping when the car thinks you haven't seen and braked for a situation. Pretty dangerous IMHO as it diverts your attention from the perceived hazard (such as an oncoming car innocently moving into its filter lane to turn right). Is there a way ti disable it?

I never though the R would be such a nanny state car!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If that's the worst features you've found (one of which you can just switch off as already stated) then I'd say that makes it a pretty impressive car 😁

The auto systems in my Type R were more forgiving and I quite liked them, this Golf though, I'd rather have it all turned off.  I feel we're given these "safety" features to counter the distracti

Yes looking at the front badge on my car, downside is the badge doesn't look as nice as the old one but at least crisp packets won't stick to it and you haven't got the ugly square box lower down

1 hour ago, Andygo said:

There's a couple of things that are really annoying on my new R.

1. The way the revs blip when changing gear over about 4k. I guess its to help match the revs with leisurely gearchanges, but when pressing on, makes it harder to get a fast and smooth change.

2. That ridiculous red warning icon flashing up on the dash, together with the loud beeping when the car thinks you haven't seen and braked for a situation. Pretty dangerous IMHO as it diverts your attention from the perceived hazard (such as an oncoming car innocently moving into its filter lane to turn right). Is there a way ti disable it?

I never though the R would be such a nanny state car!

The Front Assist red warning can be a pita and is often triggered by cars some distance ahead making a left turn.  If it really bothers you, Front Assist can be disabled from in the menus on the infotainment unit. In CAR - setup - Driver Assistance - Front Assist.  Some cars have a button on the end of the indicator stalk that also brings up the Front Assist menu on the DIS, but not all have this button.  

The electronic steering lock not coming when you open the door unless you remember to turn the ignition button off once you’ve stopped.
Which then means closing the door turning the ignition on and off again and then opening the door. That does my head in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, there is a lot to like about the R, loads of good features, love the handbrakey thing (which I thought I world hate, lol), love the infotainement/dash stuff, just a tad underwhelmed by the nanny state stuff.

Maybe i'm a bit old school, maybe getting Porsche withdrawal symptoms - my boxster s, carbon ceramic brakes, active suspension, etc. Cant have it both ways, lol.

Actually, I can, as its still up my drive!

Anybody want to buy my 17 plate R, 1600 miles old?

Only thing that bugs me is when I forget to disable the stop/start and the engine cuts out just before you come to a stop and steering goes dead whilst still moving, albeit very slow and coming to a halt.

Easy fix, just have to remember to disable the stop/start every journey 

Had a dodgy situation unfold on me at the beginning of this week, it actually scared the out of me but this is what happened, dropped the Mrs at work, on my way home at 30-35mph with no cars in front of me but a few 3 to 4 cars back, driving along, sun comes out, reach for the top pocket with my sunnys stashed in and just putting them up to my face and bang, car stops dead, and I mean dead, thought the gearbox or wheel hubs had seized, either that or I'd run into an invisible Predator spacecraft, the guy behind me had kittens and my dash is lit up with the red car with hazards either side of it, I indicated and pulled to the side of the road and got out to check the car over, I find the culprit, a foil crisp packet was stuck to the front sensor and triggered the brakes and stopped me dead, what's the chances, 1 in a million, but had it happened on the motorway, it would have been touch or go whether I'd saved the car, spoke to VW and they said that would deffo trigger it, as that's how they test the cars upon delivery/PDI, they suspend a piece of tinfoil from a cars roofrack on a stick and drive towards it, it triggers, the car stops and the car gets a tick in its box. It's a great feature but when something like that happens, it does make you question the safety features actual safety to you, the car and other road users!!!

5 minutes ago, MattM7R said:

Had a dodgy situation unfold on me at the beginning of this week, it actually scared the emoji90.png out of me but this is what happened, dropped the Mrs at work, on my way home at 30-35mph with no cars in front of me but a few 3 to 4 cars back, driving along, sun comes out, reach for the top pocket with my sunnys stashed in and just putting them up to my face and bang, car stops dead, and I mean dead, thought the gearbox or wheel hubs had seized, either that or I'd run into an invisible Predator spacecraft, the guy behind me had kittens and my dash is lit up with the red car with hazards either side of it, I indicated and pulled to the side of the road and got out to check the car over, I find the culprit, a foil crisp packet was stuck to the front sensor and triggered the brakes and stopped me dead, what's the chances, 1 in a million, but had it happened on the motorway, it would have been touch or go whether I'd saved the car, spoke to VW and they said that would deffo trigger it, as that's how they test the cars upon delivery/PDI, they suspend a piece of tinfoil from a cars roofrack on a stick and drive towards it, it triggers, the car stops and the car gets a tick in its box. It's a great feature but when something like that happens, it does make you question the safety features actual safety to you, the car and other road users!!!

That's pretty scary.  The radar sensor design of the original mk7 attracts debris. Every time I wash mine I'm fishing leaves out of the recess.  Hopefully addressed now with the sensor in the VW badge on the facelift, very unlikely to get crap sticking to that.  

6 hours ago, Booth11 said:

That's pretty scary.  The radar sensor design of the original mk7 attracts debris. Every time I wash mine I'm fishing leaves out of the recess.  Hopefully addressed now with the sensor in the VW badge on the facelift, very unlikely to get crap sticking to that.  

Yes looking at the front badge on my car, downside is the badge doesn't look as nice as the old one but at least crisp packets won't stick to it and you haven't got the ugly square box lower down

2 hours ago, ExSkoda said:

Yeah the square radar box is hideous and spoils the front line of the car, so the move to have it behind badge is a good one, for lots of reasons, just a shame the badge is not as nice as the original, but guess you can have it all ways.  😕

11 hours ago, MattM7R said:

Had a dodgy situation unfold on me at the beginning of this week, it actually scared the emoji90.png out of me but this is what happened, dropped the Mrs at work, on my way home at 30-35mph with no cars in front of me but a few 3 to 4 cars back, driving along, sun comes out, reach for the top pocket with my sunnys stashed in and just putting them up to my face and bang, car stops dead, and I mean dead, thought the gearbox or wheel hubs had seized, either that or I'd run into an invisible Predator spacecraft, the guy behind me had kittens and my dash is lit up with the red car with hazards either side of it, I indicated and pulled to the side of the road and got out to check the car over, I find the culprit, a foil crisp packet was stuck to the front sensor and triggered the brakes and stopped me dead, what's the chances, 1 in a million, but had it happened on the motorway, it would have been touch or go whether I'd saved the car, spoke to VW and they said that would deffo trigger it, as that's how they test the cars upon delivery/PDI, they suspend a piece of tinfoil from a cars roofrack on a stick and drive towards it, it triggers, the car stops and the car gets a tick in its box. It's a great feature but when something like that happens, it does make you question the safety features actual safety to you, the car and other road users!!!

Sounds scary , I've had a few moments myself.

thats probably why VW moved the sensor to the VW badge on the facelift.

just so you know it's not just a VW thing , guy at work has a brand new 5 series BMW and he has the square sensor like the mk7 in the lower part of the front grill , and if BMW are fitting that on a £50k car then there is a very good reason for doing it. 🤓

24 minutes ago, robdfr said:

Sounds scary , I've had a few moments myself.

thats probably why VW moved the sensor to the VW badge on the facelift.

just so you know it's not just a VW thing , guy at work has a brand new 5 series BMW and he has the square sensor like the mk7 in the lower part of the front grill , and if BMW are fitting that on a £50k car then there is a very good reason for doing it. 1f913.png

Not neccessarily! £50K cars are not immune from design faults..