IanC

MK7.5 R LED Dipped Beam Adjustment

Morning - I looked on this site for advice on adjustment but my new 67 plate R 7.5 (the new black trim etc) seems to be different than earlier models so thought I'd post it here.

VW set them low so one turn each side, of the WHITE Allen plastic screw, has lifted them enough not to dazzle - might even get a bit more but I'll try it out for a while.  It is on the top of the headlight cluster.

The side to side (lateral) adjustment (black Allen plastic screw) is right by the wings and is marked with L or R so no doubting this one.

No need to fart about with the software stuff.

Picture below

IMG_0686.jpg

It must be different to my early 2016 R, on mine there is a white plastic screw on top of the headlight cluster which states "right" with a pointy arrow and the white plastic screw at the bottom of the cluster which states "up" with a similar pointy arrow. Having played with them, it is definitely the bottom screw which adjusts up and down. 

Thanks for this post mines a joke at the moment because I’ve got coil overs on which has dropped the car a good 30mm so would you say 2 turns of the screw for mine ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've forgot which way I turned it now to be honest.  I also forgot to suggest in the post that this is best done when it's dark and park so the lights are shining on a brick wall around 10M away or if you've got a good eye, a fence etc.  Make a note of the beam level, and look at the position of the Allen key and move it one turn observing where it ends up.  If it starts to go down then turn it back to the original position then go one turn the other way

I would suggest you then go out for a drive and look at the beam on parked cars and if below the boot level at say 20 M then take it on a country lane and see what it looks like on dip.  Look at oncoming cars, if you can see the line on the bodywork.

If one observes a naughty sign from the driver, this may be deemed as useful feedback that they may be a little high.

I assumed out of respect for our fellow R owners that they have the ability to judge this - my kids, who are now in their 30s, know not to ask me such questions. ;-)  

Yes - I'm an old git brought up in the days of British Leyland shite and having to set dwell angles.  

This was a great help, looking at previous information that the lights were self levelling and could not be adjusted this easily.

i can confirm 6mm Allen key and turning anti-clockwise to raise. Raised 1 turn and will see how it goes and make sure don’t get flashed.