Hi guy. 

I friend of mine just tuned his new (only 8600km on the clock) Golf 7R Facelift equipped with the latest and new DQ381 7-speed DSG gearbox. 

Today there is only one player Tuning this gearbox. 

It is TVS Engineering from the Netherlands. 

APR is working on it. 

I have the 7R prefacelift and DQ250 6 speed DSG box.

My first initial test drive did not impress me mutch. The new 7 speed gearbox is not as smooth as my 6 speed gearbox. 

And under WOT and LC. The box is acting up badly. It's like on/off during shifts. 

As I am at APR stage 1 Hi torque file and TCU sw. Hi was eager to tune his car. 

So today was the day at last. 

The car was flashed with APR ECU stage 1 Hi torque sw v2.3.1 and 98 octane MAP. 

And TVS Engineering TCU stag 2+ sw. 

Now I can only say Wow! It's hard to describe, but the car has transformed. I already knew that the car would be fast, but we did not expect that the gearbox would transform the car in this way. I must say I can't understand how Volksvagen messed up this gearbox by making the stock OEM software so badly. 

Now with the TVS sw the car is so smooth and the shifts are so fast. My friend is all over the moon,  and super pleased with his new car. 

Guys. I really can't recommend this TVS sw enough for all of you DQ381 / 7 speed boxes. 

Even if stock ECU sw. (no tune) I would recommend this TCU sw from TVS Engineering. It's is really amazing. 

Cheers. 

Thanks... this is very interesting as I'm on the 7speed DSG and plan on APR or simular high torque stage 1 map and do worry about the clutch's handling the extra torque...

I hope this system is brought to the UK soon.

Many thanks 

On 20/10/2017 at 21:39, PocketRocket said:

Hi guy. 

I friend of mine just tuned his new (only 8600km on the clock) Golf 7R Facelift equipped with the latest and new DQ381 7-speed DSG gearbox. 

Today there is only one player Tuning this gearbox. 

It is TVS Engineering from the Netherlands. 

APR is working on it. 

I have the 7R prefacelift and DQ250 6 speed DSG box.

My first initial test drive did not impress me mutch. The new 7 speed gearbox is not as smooth as my 6 speed gearbox. 

And under WOT and LC. The box is acting up badly. It's like on/off during shifts. 

As I am at APR stage 1 Hi torque file and TCU sw. Hi was eager to tune his car. 

So today was the day at last. 

The car was flashed with APR ECU stage 1 Hi torque sw v2.3.1 and 98 octane MAP. 

And TVS Engineering TCU stag 2+ sw. 

Now I can only say Wow! It's hard to describe, but the car has transformed. I already knew that the car would be fast, but we did not expect that the gearbox would transform the car in this way. I must say I can't understand how Volksvagen messed up this gearbox by making the stock OEM software so badly. 

Now with the TVS sw the car is so smooth and the shifts are so fast. My friend is all over the moon,  and super pleased with his new car. 

Guys. I really can't recommend this TVS sw enough for all of you DQ381 / 7 speed boxes. 

Even if stock ECU sw. (no tune) I would recommend this TCU sw from TVS Engineering. It's is really amazing. 

Cheers. 

@PocketRocket I'm based in the UK, I got in touch with TVS last year after doing extensive research on them. I had excellent communication with Dirk, and they were very helpful and forthcoming with information. I did all this before I actually took delivery of my new Facelift R in July 2017. The idea was to drive over to Holland and get TVS to flash my the DSG. I've not been able to make the journey just yet.

I have now covered 6700miles in my car, and you are totally right, the 7speed dsg is awful. Everything you noticed is true, it is definitely not a smooth box, your observations are spot on, on WOT especially in S and manual shift, the snatch or shunt in the dsg between 3200-3900rpm shifting from 2-3-4 is awful.

I've noticed this since having run the car in. I thought it may be bedding in, but 6700miles later it's still not smooth. Again your observations of the on/off character of the box are correct. In D the on/off nature of the gearbox as it goes through the gears 1 through to 5 feels like surges as if your pressing the throttle and then taking your foot off, pressing the throttle and then taking your foot off.

I've not really been able to enjoy the car at all, and so only last week took the car in to a dealer for it to be looked at. I went out with a technician and showed him the fault with the way the dsg was changing, he was surprised somewhat. Living the car with them to sort it out was a big waste of time as they could not replicate what I had shown them. SO we went out a 2nd time and again the box was snatchy and unsmooth in it's delivery. They took me out in  brand new facelift to see if the new car would do it, and guess what, the new car with 9 miles on was just as bad. The "Master Technicians" conclusion was this is how they are programmed from the factory and therefore there is no fault  with the gearbox.

I have been contemplating swapping the car for a manual R or even a manual GTi Clubsport Ed 40 out of desperation, as the dsg has not been a pleasant experience unless your really on it, but how often can u accelerate like that on public roads if at all.

But I'm glad I've come across your post as you've taken away any doubts i may have had about using TVS. Might be an idea to contact them to ship their tool to flash the dsg.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Tal said:

I have now covered 6700miles in my car, and you are totally right, the 7speed dsg is awful. Everything you noticed is true, it is definitely not a smooth box, your observations are spot on, on WOT especially in S and manual shift, the snatch or shunt in the dsg between 3200-3900rpm shifting from 2-3-4 is awful.

I've noticed this since having run the car in. I thought it may be bedding in, but 6700miles later it's still not smooth. Again your observations of the on/off character of the box are correct. In D the on/off nature of the gearbox as it goes through the gears 1 through to 5 feels like surges as if your pressing the throttle and then taking your foot off, pressing the throttle and then taking your foot off.

I've not really been able to enjoy the car at all, and so only last week took the car in to a dealer for it to be looked at. I went out with a technician and showed him the fault with the way the dsg was changing, he was surprised somewhat. Living the car with them to sort it out was a big waste of time as they could not replicate what I had shown them. SO we went out a 2nd time and again the box was snatchy and unsmooth in it's delivery. They took me out in  brand new facelift to see if the new car would do it, and guess what, the new car with 9 miles on was just as bad. The "Master Technicians" conclusion was this is how they are programmed from the factory and therefore there is no fault  with the gearbox.

TVS DQ381 DSG software will be my first mod once I collect my new ordered 7.5R 😄

They have very good experience of tuning the latest 7-speed gearbox and I know this because there is ton of DQ380/DQ381 using TVS DSG software with great success in their China market. Can be found from their Facebook or TVS dealer in China.

Me too myself had experience of their DQ250 DSG software on my previous FWD A3 with 660NM torque and I would say their DSG software is the best and the smoothest after I tried totally SIX different DSG softwares (incl. 3 big brands 😂).

Guys. 

Thanks for the thumbs up. 

This is for real. 

I can't explain how much of a different the car became. It's unreal actually. 

How VW messed up this is, I can't understand. 

The other thing is how this has not blown up the forums. If you have driven the DQ250 box first and then the DQ381. 

I would never bought the 7.5 R... 

8 hours ago, a3scott20 said:

TVS DQ381 DSG software will be my first mod once I collect my new ordered 7.5R 1f604.png

They have very good experience of tuning the latest 7-speed gearbox and I know this because there is ton of DQ380/DQ381 using TVS DSG software with great success in their China market. Can be found from their Facebook or TVS dealer in China.

Me too myself had experience of their DQ250 DSG software on my previous FWD A3 with 660NM torque and I would say their DSG software is the best and the smoothest after I tried totally SIX different DSG softwares (incl. 3 big brands 1f602.png).

I think it was your @a3scott20 thread that I came across last year over on the Audi forums?

Did you drive over to them in Holland and have it mapped or was yours the one where you ordered the software cable?

There was also an A3 that TVS actually collected from the UK too, mapped and then shipped it back. Yes they have that service available too!!!

The problem I found was that the TVS trail in the U.K. went cold. The boys that had the TVS TCU software done seemed to disappear or stopped posting updates or giving any further feedback down the line.

I was a little apprehensive to say the least to drive all the way to Holland to have the DSG flashed and then to find it wasn't all that it was cracked up to be.

After reading @PocketRocket and @a3scott20 posts, and if indeed A3Scott is the same person whose posts I followed on the A3 forum (there was also videos posted on TVS website of this A3 and a video of the drive home if i remember correctly), I am definitely in no doubt now that this is the way to go for the TCU map. I was 90% sure before but am 101% now.

As I said before I did extensive research on TVS last year and found that HGP Turbo in Germany use TVS software for the DSG (and maybe even ECU but not 100% about that) and they've put to market some of the fastest and most reliable MK6 and 7 Golfs out there, not to forget their awesome V6 Golf R conversions. Harding Performance in Australia use TVS DSG software. I found a lot of the Asian VW tuning market use TVS software also.

Rumour has it that some of the big players, and I won't mention names as I'm poor and don't want to be sued, buy the software from TVS and then make there own tweaks. In a similar way that LG and Samsung sell their TV panels to Panasonic, Sony and the like, and they then put their own electronics and software behind the panels.

This software update/upgrade will help me fall back in love with driving my 7.5R again.

For those that will not be going down the DSG tcu flash, there is a work around....drive the pants off your R and it changes super smooth high up the rev band past 4200rpm....so yes it is smooth, if your prepared to lose your licence or take some cars out in front of you Death Race style 😃

I also agree that it is very surprising that all the people with the facelift models aren't complaining on here, my guess is that they don't know any different having not driven a prefacelift or a dsg box before and think it is the norm. I took extensive test drives out in a prefacelift DSG R and it was smooth, I went out in a new facelift R before I put my order in for mine and couldn't say I noticed anything untoward, but it's when you actually live with a car that you notice the niggles.

My friend has just purchased a facelift GTi performance with the DQ380 7 spd DSG box which is fitted to fwd cars, and that is super smooth, no matter how i tried to make that box throw a wobbler it wouldn't. 

It is simply and purely down to VW rushing this out and not doing the necessary due diligence when programming the software for the DQ381...VERY SAD INDEED!!!

2 hours ago, Jon R306 said:

Isn’t some of this down to the soft gearbox dog bone mounting. ?

Won’t a simple insert like the revo or 034 overcome some of these negatives.

This may go some way to mask the problem but I believe you will still here the thud from the gearbox or still feel the on/off nature of the dsg mapping.

In S mode depending on throttle pressure the change point for each gear is not optimal either.

TVS addresses everything in their software from all the info I've read on what they do.

Very interesting and I’m following this in great detail thanks guys.

my facelift R DSG has now past 10kmiles and find some simular situations but nothing different from My previous last 3 PDK gearbox s so it must be mainly SW issues. 👍

I've been itching to modify the car, but due to Warranty woes I've not bothered, but have since decided to go the JB4 route for my kicks.

I think the JB4 coupled with the TVS TCU map will be an amazing combo till the warranty expires.

Also, just back on the TCU software, TVS can actually lock the software down so it cant be written over, even by the dealer!! 

Don't think you'll go to far wrong with TVS Engineering.

I went over to Holland last year to see them, very impressive set-up and the guys there are really knowledgeable.

Some monster Golfs were in for work, the older generation types.

Just talking to them before Christmas sure they said they had a UK Agent out in Aylesbury Buckinghamshire but can't remember for the life of me who it was now.

Regards

Damian Mac Donagh

1 hour ago, Damian Mac Donagh said:

Don't think you'll go to far wrong with TVS Engineering.

I went over to Holland last year to see them, very impressive set-up and the guys there are really knowledgeable.

Some monster Golfs were in for work, the older generation types.

Just talking to them before Christmas sure they said they had a UK Agent out in Aylesbury Buckinghamshire but can't remember for the life of me who it was now.

Regards

Damian Mac Donagh

@Damian Mac Donagh considering what you've done to your car, which is a labour of love, yes I follow your thread 😀, that's a massive credidation for TVS in my book.

Isn't Alex of AKS based in Aylesbury? That's the only reputed establishment I've heard of in those parts but there's no mention of TVS software on their website.

But it's not a bad idea to go out to TVS and let Dirk loose on your car with his laptop, after speaking to him last year I believe they have 100s of maps to choose from to suit everyone's driving style. They'll even road map your ECU or TCU if you so wish.

I remember asking him I wanted VWR racing car style shifts and he said no problem we can do whatever you want 😀