Revo Vs JF Automotive Stage 1?

I've been researching into various stage 1 maps. I previously ran a tuning box on my old diesel A3, and whilst that gave a good performance boost, I'm more leaning towards a proper map this time. I'm not totally decided upon it, but thought I would get some feedback from the rest of the community. I will probably be looking into doing this in due time, once the cars factory warranty expires.... (plus time needed to save up for it) I'm not fussed really in taking it any further than a stage 1 map...

I know from reading the forums that there are several reputable companies out there including REVO, APR, JF Automotive etc, but I'm also aware that sometimes the tuner simply uploads the generic supplied map to the car without any dyno checking/tweaking at all, where as at other sites they thoroughly check the car before/after and "tweak" that baseline generic map to your cars engine..

The two I'm looking at (based on my readings on various forums/websites etc) are either the REVO Stage 1 or JF Automotive Stage 1.. Both appear not to be "chasing figures" as it were, but seem to concentrate more on driveability from what reviews I've read. I've been in touch with JF Automotive and they mentioned that they check the car over fully before dynoing, then "tweak" their generic map to the cars engine.. I can't find too many reviews on here for JF Automotive maps though - does anyone have one and if so what do they think of it?

My local REVO dealers are either VASMotion or MDM-Technik - what are peoples experience with them? Or if anyone has had both REVO and JFA maps - does anyone have any comparison info? I'm not in any hurry to make a decision, just looking to be as informed as possible really.

PS - and before anyone suggests Rick at Unicorn development - he is the other end of the country from me so not really an option...

How do you find their map to drive in terms of performance/usability/benefits in fuel economy etc? (I'm talking normal driving here, not ragging it btw as I appreciate that one would not see any benefits in the last one if pushing it!😆 (more interested if when cruising)

Hi

I've just had a stage 1 Revo with Mdm Technix and I'm very pleased with the results (382bhp) and service they offered. 

Firstly they use a racelogic to do real on road data logging (dyno's can read high if not at up properly). 

Secondly the service was first class. 

Thirdly Mark (mdm) personally races Golfs. 

Fourthly, they said they would be happy to remove the map  free  of charge for any warranty work and then put it back on again for free. (this went for the Revo carbon intake kit as well). 

The other thing to consider when looking at these things is how local are the tuners to your location (as things can go wrong). 

Also most maps etc will give you very similar results (within 10-15bhp of each other) and your not really going to notice that difference. 

• 1 year later...

I have had both maps revo on my MK7 gti PP very good, opted to go with JF on my7.5R after researching & feedback from some forum members the map is great performance epic  and had DSG map as well I think Revo & APR maps are good but too costly previous cars I’ve had mapped Subaru / evo/ bmw using reputable dealers have always been sub £400 so don’t see why revo/apr chsrge £750 !!

Emailed JFA earlier asking about pricing as thinking about getting stage 1 soon to compare with Revo and below is the info that I got back if anyone is interested.

We can offer the JFA Stage 1 Performance engine remap for your vehicle giving an increase in power of up to 60-70BHP and 100Nm of Torque over and above manufactures figures. Although peak power numbers (like these above) help sell tuning, its only half the story. If your looking for a true driving transformation then you will benefit more from mid range power that holds all through the rev range giving vast improvements in drivability for day to day driving. One more important factor to remember is engine safety, we design our software to achieve the highest possible performance whilst maintaining the vehicles’ longevity and drivability without compromising on reliability. Up to 15% more fuel efficiency can be achieved from the JFA eco-Blue remap and as much as 10% from our Performance option. 

We perform a health check first to establish that there isn't any underlining faults, then if you opt for a dyno session we will data log selected engine parameters on the dyno to use this data to create a custom calibrated map for your engne. This is then followed by further dyno sessions and a power graph print out.

As with all of JF Automotive's tuning work, we provide a 30 day money back guarantee, lifetime software support backed with our fully comprehensive underwritten insurance for added peace of mind.

JFA Engine Remap £395.00 Inc Vat

Optional Extras;
  • JFA Gearbox Update-Tune £195.00 (Our gearbox TCU update offers the following benefits over and above our engine tune. faster gear shifts, smoother gear changes, faster reaction to paddle shift inputs and increased efficiency.)
  • JFA Dyno Session £90.00
  • Performance Air Filter £POA
  • Performance Exhaust £POA

Total for Stage 1 Engine & DSG with Dyno is £680 Inc Vat.
  • 1 month later...
On 12/11/2018 at 19:17, Aquanaute said:

Emailed JFA earlier asking about pricing as thinking about getting stage 1 soon to compare with Revo and below is the info that I got back if anyone is interested.

We can offer the JFA Stage 1 Performance engine remap for your vehicle giving an increase in power of up to 60-70BHP and 100Nm of Torque over and above manufactures figures. Although peak power numbers (like these above) help sell tuning, its only half the story. If your looking for a true driving transformation then you will benefit more from mid range power that holds all through the rev range giving vast improvements in drivability for day to day driving. One more important factor to remember is engine safety, we design our software to achieve the highest possible performance whilst maintaining the vehicles’ longevity and drivability without compromising on reliability. Up to 15% more fuel efficiency can be achieved from the JFA eco-Blue remap and as much as 10% from our Performance option. 

We perform a health check first to establish that there isn't any underlining faults, then if you opt for a dyno session we will data log selected engine parameters on the dyno to use this data to create a custom calibrated map for your engne. This is then followed by further dyno sessions and a power graph print out.

As with all of JF Automotive's tuning work, we provide a 30 day money back guarantee, lifetime software support backed with our fully comprehensive underwritten insurance for added peace of mind.

JFA Engine Remap £395.00 Inc Vat

Optional Extras;
  • JFA Gearbox Update-Tune £195.00 (Our gearbox TCU update offers the following benefits over and above our engine tune. faster gear shifts, smoother gear changes, faster reaction to paddle shift inputs and increased efficiency.)
  • JFA Dyno Session £90.00
  • Performance Air Filter £POA
  • Performance Exhaust £POA

Total for Stage 1 Engine & DSG with Dyno is £680 Inc Vat.

Thanks for sharing this. 

Today, just a few weeks later, I emailed them and received the standard generic reply as above, except the remap has increased in price by a whopping £100 and the DSG remap has also increased in price by a whopping £100. So adding a massive £200 hike when just a few weeks ago, the total price was £680 as per your above reply from JF Automotive. 

I never cease to be amazed and alarmed by the significant and sudden price increases we experience in the UK on a regular basis.