Rob2k68

ROB2k68 Lapiz R Collection & Build thread

Some have noticed that I've jumped across from the S3 8V forum where I spent the last 2 1/2 years with a nicely specced Daytona Grey Sportback, during my ownership that became somewhat of a modfest taking it to stage 2 with too many other mods to list but needless to say it had uprated suspension and brakes together with tasteful exterior and interior mods. One thing that I set out to do was to keep it subtle and I think I managed that so the theme for the Golf is OEM+.

I'm planning not to go too crazy on this one but it'll certainly benefit from lessons learned with it's MQB sibling. I've a list of mods which I've grouped into Interior/protection, mechanical & electrical and hope to keep this thread updated as I go along.

After a 15 1/2 week wait ""hopefully"" my collection day will be tomorrow as promised by the dealer. I've asked them only to remove the transport film and nothing else so I can take it home and give it the two bucket treatment so interesting to see what state it's in after spending 10 days at either port. It's booked in for a pro detail of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black in early December.

A few pics of the old ........

95217ECA-1C58-4905-8B29-A3FCB4EB6FA5.jpeg

EF2D4BD9-657A-402B-BBC7-70367D36F438.jpeg

DISCLAIMER : Although a hobbyist mechanic since I got my first car over 30 years ago (eek!!), an engineer by trade and an avid fiddler (not the musical type) I'm no VAG Technician or professional mechanic so if you follow anything that appears below please do so at your own risk.

Some have noticed that I've jumped across from the S3 8V forum where I spent the last 2 1/2 years with a nicely specced Daytona Grey Sportback, during my ownership that became somewhat of a modfest taking it to stage 2 with too many other mods to list but needless to say it had uprated suspension and brakes together with tasteful exterior and interior mods. One thing that I set out to do was to keep it subtle and I think I managed that so the theme for the Golf is OEM+.

I'm planning not to go too crazy on this one but it'll certainly benefit from lessons learned with it's MQB sibling. I've a list of mods which I've grouped into Interior/protection, mechanical & electrical and hope to keep this thread updated as I go along.

After a 15 1/2 week wait ""hopefully"" my collection day will be tomorrow as promised by the dealer. I've asked them only to remove the transport film and nothing else so I can take it home and give it the two bucket treatment so interesting to see what state it's in after spending 10 days at either port. It's booked in for a pro detail of Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black in early December.

A few pics of the old ........

95217ECA-1C58-4905-8B29-A3FCB4EB6FA5.thumb.jpeg.1d6b1844c3ad957b56223d947523a8a4.jpeg
EF2D4BD9-657A-402B-BBC7-70367D36F438.thumb.jpeg.c584abc6f2656e5b906a9157cda57582.jpeg
Looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for all your help on my s3. You can run but you can't hide Rob!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Stobsie said:

That's a nice looking S3 you had there Rob what made you jump ship into the R? A mate of mines just done it the other way around and bought a new S3 cab. 

Cheers mate  👍

Managed to put 37k on the S3 and it just seemed a good time to change. A new S3 with my spec came in at base RS3 money so it was mainly due to affordability keeping my monthly payments the same and when factoring in deposit allowance, discount, etc the VW came out better - they even gave me more p/x compared to Audi. You seem to get more standard spec on the R and even what options there are seem to cost less. The big exception being leather which is standard on the S3 which I've now had on my last 3 cars and has either creased or gone saggy so looking forward to some warm alcantara and cloth on this one. I've read that the R is dynamically better and has the edge fun factor wise so thought I'd give it a go. S3 has been a stonking car though it has to be said.

So curiousity killed the cat and I had a sneak preview last night. I asked for the car not to be washed and can confirm that they’ve done as I asked - it’s absolutely filthy complete with residue from the transit film - these will not be your ordinary collection pics ! 

First mod at the ready ..... S3 was rocking an RS3 steering wheel with the larger shift paddles so some S2T billet replacement paddles were high on my shopping list. I thought the gloss anodised finish was a tad dull so out came the Rupes Nano ibrid .....

8882DEF2-7B9F-49A6-BD32-B0A60C8F61DB.jpeg.d949c752b649581f7cf6c2d55a74b678.jpeg

78CE1833-5B08-4FB6-92B8-B28BBA39436C.thumb.jpeg.6336078bc0a01631a4f16485d7db8481.jpeg

So curiousity killed the cat and I had a sneak preview last night. I asked for the car not to be washed and can confirm that they’ve done as I asked - it’s absolutely filthy complete with residue from the transit film - these will not be your ordinary collection pics ! 

First mod at the ready ..... S3 was rocking an RS3 steering wheel with the larger shift paddles so some S2T billet replacement paddles were high on my shopping list. I thought the gloss anodised finish was a tad dull so out came the Rupes Nano ibrid .....

8882DEF2-7B9F-49A6-BD32-B0A60C8F61DB.jpeg.d949c752b649581f7cf6c2d55a74b678.jpeg
78CE1833-5B08-4FB6-92B8-B28BBA39436C.thumb.jpeg.6336078bc0a01631a4f16485d7db8481.jpeg

Enjoy collection day Rob

Finally collection day is here - YaY !!!!

Here are a few snaps .... although being absolutely minging (at my request) it's lacking a certain WoW factor. Friday afternoon it will have a decent going over a two bucket wash, removal of the transit film residue and some DA paint correction on the tailgate where there's some strange marring the rest of it looks to have escaped.

Spec is :-

• 5 Dr DSG
  • Prets
  • Dynaudio
  • Black mirror caps
  • DCC
  • Climate windscreen
  • Reverse camera
  • Pano roof

2.thumb.jpeg.fcbc4e9a4dc96fc53501bbbde48c2680.jpeg

2.thumb.jpeg.ee210b91dfd84a9f2562c0b19ec21332.jpeg

19.thumb.jpeg.91509c964927750df8c40e777f2c9932.jpeg

1.jpeg.6c2092a225d19ded0ff462dac6db9310.jpeg

Mod 2 :-

Couple of VCDS tweaks ....

• Air con fan speed display in AUTO
  • Sound Aktor set to 60%
  • Day light running lights off when light switch set to '0'
  • Auto clock change
  • Headlamp wash cycles now 16, was 10.
  • CH/LH lights no longer dipped beam just DRL's only.

Some oily bits coming next  .......

56 minutes ago, podpod said:

wow cracking straight in to the mods... looks great btw.

in terms of using the DA what compound are you planning to use? 

Nice one - thanks !

I started with a DAS 6 Pro using Auto Finesse pads & compounds but I’m now fully bought into the Rupes polishing system so I’ll start with Keramik gloss No3 (yellow) and finish with Diamond gloss No4 (white). Hopefully it won’t need anything more than that.

33 minutes ago, Rob2k68 said:

Nice one - thanks !

I started with a DAS 6 Pro using Auto Finesse pads & compounds but I’m now fully bought into the Rupes polishing system so I’ll start with Keramik gloss No3 (yellow) and finish with Diamond gloss No4 (white). Hopefully it won’t need anything more than that.

i have a DAS 6 pro not used it for a while tho,

so your starting with a finishing compound sounds wise as it is new paint, let us know how you get on..