MarcusR

20 Year Old - 7.5R On its way!

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm 20 years old! With a facelift 7.5R on its way, due to be delivered to me middle March '18.

Spec: 

White Silver

5dr, Auto DSG

Black Pretorias

Black Door Mirrors

90% Tints.

(Poverty Spec?...)

Still.. Exited is an understatement! 

Love a standard looking car, so only modification plans are gloss black roof, to make it look like I can afford a pan roof😉!!, and 3D Gel plates.

I'm coming from a 2015 Fiesta ST-3, my first car I got when I just turned 18, (after driving my moms as a named driver for a few months), which I absolutely love! - Cars are my passion, can you tell?

But due to a new job promo, just for a few years before I think about saving up and moving out, I thought i'd go mad and go for it, as a little treat (Instead of having  a mortgage!😆)

I wont ask you all for comments and opinions and what to expect from the car, its common faults etc, as I know I will be referred to the existing topics for that kind of stuff, but thoughts and options on the spec is what I'm after, and maybe how it'll compare to the ST!

Cheers!

Marcus.

13 hours ago, DYJ150 said:

Great choice and they are amazing cars. 

You are wrong about the mortgage  - You will need one for your insurance!

Thanks! I’ve gone for a lease deal via the NHS salary sacrifice scheme, which means the car, insurance, maintainance and tax is all is all included! 0 deposit too! Just the fuel consumption vs the ST I’m slightly concerned about!🤔

12 hours ago, ashleyman said:

Knowing what I do now I’d be cancelling the car. Driving something crap and putting as much money as possible into savings for a deposit. 

Prices are are only going up. 

Completely fair comment to be honest! Didn’t have my sensible head on at the time, but I thought I’d enjoy it while I can, as I’ll no doubt have to do that when saving for a deposit

Did the same when I was 20 but it was a 205 1.9gti.  Still miss that car. 

Took me 1 wife, 3kids and a few houses over 25 years to get back in a car I love,  my current golf R that I plan to keep into retirement.

You're only young once, enjoy it,

but seriously, you need dynaudio lol !

13 minutes ago, robp said:

Did the same when I was 20 but it was a 205 1.9gti.  Still miss that car. 

Took me 1 wife, 3kids and a few houses over 25 years to get back in a car I love,  my current golf R that I plan to keep into retirement.

You're only young once, enjoy it,

but seriously, you need dynaudio lol !

Love it! Thanks for the advise, I’m guessing I’ll be going down a similar path😂 - will see what standard is like and if it’s useless, will look into it, or an aftermarket option, however coming from the fiesta st’s Sony system, id like to think it can’t be worse!

Enjoy it and I did the same at 20 bought myself a 4x4 sapphire cosworth very simular to the R back in the day. Loved every minute of it. First mortgage at 26. All fun until then but still worked the mortgage  off by 45.

Sounds like you're on a great lease deal so plain sailing.  Enjoy .👍

My 7.5 cloth trim and standard spec is great in My view , would of liked Dynaudio but the sounds arent ever on as the wife cant chatter with it on anyways. 😫

10 hours ago, Jon R306 said:

Enjoy it and I did the same at 20 bought myself a 4x4 sapphire cosworth very simular to the R back in the day. Loved every minute of it. First mortgage at 26. All fun until then but still worked the mortgage  off by 45.

Sounds like you're on a great lease deal so plain sailing.  Enjoy .1f44d.png

My 7.5 cloth trim and standard spec is great in My view , would of liked Dynaudio but the sounds arent ever on as the wife cant chatter with it on anyways. 1f62b.png

Wow, love that! What a car that was, and still is - doesn't sound like you've done too bad after all!, cheers mate.

Perfect, thanks for the re-assurance haha!, oh dear... 😶

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• By JoeB
      Hi there,

So I have a 2019 R which is ofcourse post GPF filter. I would like to modify the exhaust in any way to make is sound a little louder. I originally thought of a res delete but as far as I am aware the 2019+ models with the GPF filter do not have a resonator from factory. Am I right in saying this? Also if that is the case and there is no resonator to delete what are the other options to get a bit more sound? Or is the only option to get a new exhaust system fitted altogether. Thanks for any help,

Joe.
    • By samharris1993
      Just picked up my 2018 golf R and i would like to set the exhaust valves fully open in all modes. Any suggestions? i have OBDeleven pro on its way and it should be here in a few days.
    • By Batch
      Thought I’d start my own thread to avoid clogging up all the others on here! 
      So 5th March my new PCH car arrived, an R estate in Tornado Red. Only extras I specced were the paint and Dynaudio upgrade; I didn’t want to go mad on a lease car but didn’t want plain white, and having had B&O on my S3 I had to have the premium audio option! Also to be honest I’m not a fan of the leather interior for the R and much prefer the look of the cloth/alcantara (and since having the car can honestly say these are the best seats I’ve ever been in!). I’d owned the S3 outright so it was almost top-spec give or take a couple of items. It was also quite highly-modified running suspension and brake upgrades, VWR intake and inlet bits, Milltek DP and MTM Cantronic unit (which was superb).
      As much as I wanted to spec Prets, I couldn’t justify the expense on the monthlies as I had all the kit from the S3 to swap over including a set of custom-finished REVO RV019s. So the car arrived on the standard, “unusual” shall we say Cadiz wheels...

By the Wednesday, I’d had the wheels, intake setup, dog bone mount and DP swapped over and given it a good wash after its trundle down from Cardiff. The swirls and contamination in the paint of a brand new car are frankly horrific so I’m planning on a full correction then several coats of CC Platinum Paint and Oracle in the next week or so...

The MTM unit wouldn’t work so it was either pay to recode it or sell it on and go for another option; that decision was made for me by the purchaser or our S3 offering a good price for it with the car. Likely to go for a SHARK STS with Stage 2 map.

Next up was a set of carbon fibre mirror caps; not a fan of the satin chrome ones which to me belong only on an Audi S/RS and I wanted something to tie into the gloss black details. These were popped on in five minutes by Martyn at M.D. AUTOBAHN at Gatwick,can’t recommend him highly enough so anyone in the area look him up!

And to bring me up to date, last Friday saw a set of VWR/Racingline springs go on. I very nearly went coilovers after road testing a C5 RS6 on KW V2s last autumn but wanting to keep costs down I opted for these. Not disappointed in the slightest - there is NO discernible compromise in ride quality, the damping is not affected by the shorter and stiffer springs but it sits much nicer and the handling is improved no end! I had Eibachs on my last two S3s and these springs I feel are better than them. Certainly the 8V sportback (so MQB still) was a lot crashier and harsh on them whereas this just feels perfect!

Quick before and after but the car has settled a bit more since.

Got to admit so far I fully love this thing - tech, seats and comfort all better than the S3 which suddenly feels a bit dated. The gearbox is excellent, with the 7th gear making a real difference to fuel economy and cruising, only thing it needs is the extra power and torque the S3 had. And this looks awesome! Can’t be a meaner looking estate around at the moment surely?

For those of you interested I’ll keep this updated as I go. Already regretting just having it two years!
    • By PAGC
      I know what the standard understanding is that if you remap a newish car you invalidate the original manufacturer's warranty but I am struggling to find absolute proof of this so would be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction. I have recently bought an 18 plate Golf R which is largely great but has had some teething problems, (mainly due to a large bolt fastening the front offside wishbone on to the chassis being very loose). I have read the VW warranty (https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/new-car/terms-and-conditions) several times and can see that it says "Items which are excluded from warranty cover include but are not limited to: Components, equipment or software (Chip tuning) which are not part of the vehicle at the point of original manufacture (unapproved modifications." I can not see anywhere that it says the whole car is not covered by warranty if it has undergone 'chip tuning.' 
      Can anybody tell me what I have missed?
    • By Gowexile
      So I have a 7.5 with the akrapovic and vagsport rea delete. Have had the flaps coded open for a few months now but the drone on long journeys is doing my head in lol. I’ve searched everywhere and watched all relevant videos but I can’t find a solid answer on how to code the flaps back to normal? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks