Rob2k68

POI Sat-Nav Speed Camera alerts via Car-Net

Following on from this useful thread where an eBay seller was offering speed camera database on SD card although no longer seems able to, here's a how to which only requires a subscription to pocketgpsworld or similar navigation based database and your VW Car-Net account.

sat-nav-speed-camera-alerts

Here goes .......

Step 1 log in to pocketgpsworld and download the latest speed cam database in GARMIN format, this should give you .csv (Excel) files ....

3.JPG.49dc5ceac6ad7868ff3e603a5d37c8e2.JPG

Step 2 create a working folder on your desktop and move or copy the downloaded zip file from step 1 into it ...

4.JPG.20c2779a6e74051478684e3cc8cd891e.JPG

Step 3 extract contents of the zip file (red circle) into the folder, also download and name accordingly the below icons  (blue circle) ...

5.JPG.5e0a459dda9ab5788874f3b643a9df7f.JPG

Icons courtesy of ASN (right click and save as to your folder, rename as above) ...

UK_GATSO.png.b68f65bf893c35096cede1e21fe3e9ae.pngUK_MOBILE.png.8d86307a8b0c4ba22522c2364f828815.pngUK_REDLIGHT.png.b53f37501f427475daf6563c6db403d6.pngUK_SPECS.png.7f6fd1a647d68678c8a67164e8bfc1c4.png

Step 4 log into your car net account ...

1.JPG.92ada97d4a622c25a2fc2b5f25aa0517.JPG

Step 5 hit manage lists to get this screen then click on 'Add new list' ...

2.JPG.0fb1e6d1f40601fdd31ac9c4c8deb229.JPG

Step 6 On this screen upload the matching .csv file, give it a matching name and also upload the matching image. Below I have created a POI list for Gatso cameras, hit save & send ...

2c.JPG.2cf50c30bb553edcf805ac41094771ac.JPG

Step 7 repeat for the other camera types (I don't bother with pmobile) so you end up with this then hit the refresh icon   ...

2d.JPG.e4d17d9f7c589ecb968c00b038984aff.JPG

You are now ready to connect the car to car net via a personal hotspot via your phone or your home wifi network assuming you're parked on your drive close enough to connect to it. 

Hopefully that went well. Once all done the next stage is to download to your car ....

Step 1 make sure your car is connected to the internet signified by a globe illuminated here ...

2.jpg.5b58fb1da689431ee66c184ab38eaf89.jpg

Step 2 Navigate to the car settings menu and click on Car-Net ...

1.jpg.e449fe3d75ec420e52f6e27b65cbcaff.jpg

Step 3 Click on update ...

3.jpg.f29c4a815d36777a552dcad6f88a7c3e.jpg

Step 4 It should show My points of interest ...

4.jpg.edf3b112a07a3aa42b3544aae3dd634b.jpg

Step 5 Click on it so there's a tick in the box then click on download ...

5.jpg.65193af922709b176e606d48d775f8cf.jpg

Step 6 You should have a screen looking like this ...

6.jpg.2ef0a4a84e5890da413cd32d14744c0a.jpg

When downloaded it will automatically install ...

12.jpg.9d2dde3e33108bd4f7378450a04847ed.jpg

Step 7 Go to Navigation settings ...

7.jpg.e4388e61b047686ff2c59b7b51c0d10b.jpg

Step 8 Click on Map ...

8.jpg.b273ba2774349e292e86ef2e789c4a41.jpg

Step 9 Then Select categories for POI's ...

9.jpg.56ceb989aac31804a70071c8eb6855f4.jpg

Step 10 Scroll down the list and select the cams POI's ...

10.jpg.fb20b91639a0ffb3c5754975574a03ce.jpg

Announcements should be selected automatically ...

11.jpg.8d0a54e02126c5b9c26e970656e4ddec.jpg

ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, Rob2k68 said:

Following on from this useful thread where an eBay seller was offering speed camera database on SD card although no longer seems able to, here's a how to which only requires a subscription to pocketgpsworld or similar navigation based database and your VW Car-Net account.

sat-nav-speed-camera-alerts

Here goes .......

Step 1 log in to pocketgpsworld and download the latest speed cam database in GARMIN format, this should give you .csv (Excel) files ....

3.JPG.9e222d013465ac25ed5e3d9f632f93a5.JPG

Looks interesting Rob, but those jpg files don't display as images...

1 minute ago, PhilC22 said:

Looks interesting Rob, but those jpg files don't display as images...

Oh no ! 

I can see them on my phone and computer - Can anyone see them  ?

10 minutes ago, Rob2k68 said:

Think I've sorted it - thanks for the heads up Phil.

Thanks for doing this Rob. Very helpful. I will have a go at setting it up tomorrow. What is the general view on the accuracy of the pocketgpsworld database for Gatso's? The last time I looked (about a year ago) 1 of the 3 in my local area wasn't identified, which killed my enthusiasm a bit. If it was reliable it would be a great adition to the map view when displayed on the digital dash straight in front of you (7.5R). Would have been very useful these last few weeks when I have been visiting friends and rels in unfamiliar cities.

1 hour ago, PhilC22 said:

Thanks for doing this Rob. Very helpful. I will have a go at setting it up tomorrow. What is the general view on the accuracy of the pocketgpsworld database for Gatso's? The last time I looked (about a year ago) 1 of the 3 in my local area wasn't identified, which killed my enthusiasm a bit. If it was reliable it would be a great adition to the map view when displayed on the digital dash straight in front of you (7.5R). Would have been very useful these last few weeks when I have been visiting friends and rels in unfamiliar cities.

You’re welcome Phil.

The ones I’ve passed in the last few months have been accurate to within a couple of metres and I’ve now pretty much settled on maps on the dash and media on the MMI as my goto display ....

DF8B1D94-5B5B-417D-98EC-438D48BF82D4.jpeg.67d43247a943ca90bd83d4542eb8827a.jpeg53B9B74B-D992-4544-9C93-82BE08BBE017.jpeg.710c31019a21161989685d3cea30bcb0.jpeg

Should this make a noise when i am approaching a camera/lights etc? I can see the cams and lights on the map but i get no audible notifacation, i checked sound was enabled and did the last step. Thanks for the great and helpful guide.

20 hours ago, mark118 said:

Should this make a noise when i am approaching a camera/lights etc? I can see the cams and lights on the map but i get no audible notifacation, i checked sound was enabled and did the last step. Thanks for the great and helpful guide.

I haven't got round to doing the full install yet (initial issues with car-net, predictably) but I think not. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.

Mainly as a test of the pocketgpsworld database, I downloaded the (free) Android app (called CamerAlert) to my phone yesterday and this works very well as a standalone program. It certainly seems more accurate than when I last looked about 15 months ago, at least for Gatso's and 'mobile zones' in my area (see note below), and you can also choose to get audibly warned about all the other speed camera types (Truvelo, Monitron, Video, Redlight, RedSpeed, Average). You can select the loudness and the style (male voice, female voice, 'ding', etc) of the audible warning, as well as the warning 'distance' (set by default to 40 seconds). You can have the map/speed cam icons displayed on your phone, but that's obviously no use when you are driving. (It would be good if you could run the app via Android Auto, but given the nature of the app, that's probably unlikely to happen!)

No reason why you couldn't have the POI-enhanced satnav map displayed on the main head unit or the digital dash (both if you have the Pro version of the new infotainment system) and also have the app running on your phone - for 'audible warnings backup'. The problem there is that if you USB-connect your phone to the car to run Android Auto (to use Spotify or whatever) you then wouldn't be able to access the 'other' apps on your phone. At least that is my understanding...

Note: The CamerAlert app comes loaded with an old database, so you have to register (for free) before being allowed to download the current version. If you want to receive automatic updates you obviously have to subscribe - £19.99 per year. The app is available for both Android and Apple phones.

Having now completed the install as per Rob's procedure, it works great as a map enhancement, but I don't get any audible warning of an approaching camera either. @mark118. And having used the phone app (as well) over the last couple of days I don't now think that this is a practical solution. The audible warnings played through the phone's puny speaker (I have a Samsung Galaxy A3) are just not loud enough to compete with the combination of normal road noise and background music. However, just displaying the 'enhanced' satnav map on the 7.5's digital dash makes it quite hard to miss an approaching speed camera, so this is a huge step forward.

I did find this in a "help" file on the car-net website..if anyone can make sense of it..

Will I hear a notification sound when I am approaching a POI?

"In the Discover Pro and Discover Media (from model year 2016), you can choose to be informed acoustically by a notification sound when you are approaching a POI. Activate the "Tell me when I am approaching these POIs" function in the corresponding POI list. You can decide separately for each POI list whether you would like to be informed when you approach the POIs. A check should also be placed in the box next to "Notifications: My POIs" in the settings for navigation announcements. Please note that the function uses the volume settings for navigation announcements, and the notification sound may therefore play at a low volume".

..Activate the "Tell me when I am approaching these POIs" function in the corresponding POI list. OK, how???

I have the standard infotainment system (Discover Media (Generation 2 GP)) supplied with the 2017 mk 7.5FL.

One final thing for anyone following Rob's procedure... Downloading the personal POI data files from the car-net portal to your car can take a long time! I connected my car to the portal via my home wifi (BT infinity broadband) and the download took nearly 45 minutes ... so suggest you park your car as close as possible to the router!

Mine downloaded really quickly 3 or 4 days ago, but tonight i kept getting error messages saying car net was down or the like maybe they were having problems if you did it tonight? Apparantly there is a sound but it is quiet, i will try and turn all the volumes up tomorow and tick the box to mute media during announcements to test it again. I have also been reading some older threads about poi alerts where you upload the csv and jpg to a VW site and that converts it to a db3 file that you can put onto a sd card to load the poi that way. Its in German but there is a tick box which says

"Annäherungsinformation, Bei Annäherung an diese POIs informieren."

which translates to "approach information. Inform when approaching these POIs." according to google translate

http://rollout.volkswagen.de/content/de/brand/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html

I will try that tomorow, i have the sd card ready and done just want to test if the car net upload download way works first before doing the sd card way.

On 06/12/2017 at 16:10, PhilC22 said:

..Activate the "Tell me when I am approaching these POIs" function in the corresponding POI list. OK, how???

I have the standard infotainment system (Discover Media (Generation 2 GP)) supplied with the 2017 mk 7.5FL.

One final thing for anyone following Rob's procedure... Downloading the personal POI data files from the car-net portal to your car can take a long time! I connected my car to the portal via my home wifi (BT infinity broadband) and the download took nearly 45 minutes ... so suggest you park your car as close as possible to the router!

Same unit here .

Sounds like some Car-Net gremlins creeping in on their system I’ve done this a few times now - to update its easier to go into manage memory and delete them then repeat the process - and it’s been 5 minutes max to download and install. Are you installing cams for U.K. or Europe ?