Sign in to follow this  
Roby3087

Brakes or Wheel Bearing?

My 64plate R has started to make a intermittent scraping sound from the front left. It has had new pads and discs (all round) around 500-700 miles ago. I cant tell if its a pad scraping or a wheel bearing. It sounds like the pad is scrapping along the disc. Sometimes its there sometimes its not. I can just tap the brake ever so lightly and the sound goes away. Then it might come back 10mins later or 20mins later. doesnt matter about speed. it pops up from 5mph to 60mph. Sometimes it quite and sometimes its loud. I dont get any brake squeal when braking.

Ive bent the sheild back a little incase it was scrapping agasint the disc. There is no groves on the discs to say something is scrapping the disc. Ive stripped the fronts down and cleaned them and appiled copper grease but its still the same.

Any ideas? maybe change the pads to different ones? If it was still in warranty i would have put it in but it ran out 2-3months ago

Possibly a bit of gravel lodged somewhere that moves around ?  I'd have a really good look around the caliper in all the areas that could lead to something touching the disc (and it might be quite small).  I had a piece of gravel in the brakes of my Octavia and it was intermittently scraping - was very annoying until I finally located it and removed it.

as above, but calliper also may not be returning fulling after applications.   Good clean up would help all above.  Even if you had brakes done, piston returns  etc may still be gunked up with3+ years of crud n brake dust. 

Wheels off get yer brushes out.   Or steam cleaner.    Bits of grit etc embedded in sticky gunk should all go..

of course a few miles of heavy braking also can release stones etc - always a good idea to now and again find safe stretch and then brake heavily from 80+ a few times, help fling off a lot of material -  onto yer pristine rims😀

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Current Donation Goals

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• By Calpeo90
      Good evening all,

Firstly, I’ve finally decided to bite the bullet and buy myself a Mk7 Golf R after 4/5 months of searching.

The car is a 65 plate with 30000 miles in Limestone Grey with every optional extra except ‘Lane Assist’.

The reason for the thread is that during a test drive I noticed a clunk coming from the brake pedal when I released my foot. It seemed occasional although it was very easy to reproduce. I’m slightly concerned with this although the salesman told me it’s normal and happens on them all.

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated; is this normal and am I being paranoid or is there something underlying that needs addressing?

I have tried searching but found nothing similar to my issue.

Many thanks in advance!
      Callam
    • By 123AlfieG
      Hi Guys,

I know this is a heavily debated topic, but I am thinking of upgrading my brake pads from the stocks...

From what I have seen the two options I am deciding between are the Ferodo DS2500 and the EBC Yellow stuff?

Has anyone tried both these pads and could offer any advice? Any other options people could recommend?

Cheers!

(I am running drilled discs by the way, so aggressive pads should not be a problem)
    • By 123AlfieG
      Hi Guys,

I know this is a heavily debated topic, but I am thinking of upgrading my brake pads from the stocks...

From what I have seen the two options I am deciding between are the Ferodo DS2500 and the EBC Yellow stuff?

Has anyone tried both these pads and could offer any advice? Any other options people could recommend?

Cheers!

(I am running drilled discs by the way, so aggressive pads should not be a problem)
    • By Roby3087
      My Brake pad warning light just came on, How long till they are useless? They look like they still have around 5-8mm left I dont get paid for 2 more weeks and a bit short on funds, to book it in to get them replaced. Am guessing i can still drive but taking it easy to work and back, its not even a 5mile drive there and back. If the worst comes then i guess ill be walking to work.  Also will it be worth changing the discs at the same time?
    • By Calyum
      Brake Rotor Tidy Up
      So today was the day i tackled my brake rotors, I've been meaning to do it for while and since VWRoc had the weekend off updating it was time to try and tidy them up.

I'm going to be honest, i didn't really have a plan going into this so i apologise to any professional paint-slingers that may view this! If you listen to this while viewing the pictures it may help..

This is what they looked like at the start, i know its a pretty pointless exercise and i could buy new ones but its not something I've not tried before and who knows it may have even lead to a career change..

Jacked it up, got the wheel off, and set about on the pointless exercise to try and tidy them up ready for the summer. Note; i only needed to tidy up the rear rotors as the front ones are new on.

Then i attempted to sand them down the best i could, 20 minutes in and there were thoughts about maybe i should have just bought some new ones.. however i powered on and prepped them up. If you haven't clicked that link yet, there's still time..

Okay so all prepped up, tape everywhere, thoughts of going to VW and apologising for ruining their brake rotor and a can of spray paint, we are off! 

Okay so I've applied the paint, advisory, if you ever do use spray paint be careful, i nearly ended up adding some extra details as you can easily get carried away. Left the paint for a few minutes and then rubbed around the rotor, not really sure why, seemed to work out though. I sanded down certain areas when finished because 1) i didn't want them to look brand new and 2) i got carried away..

Onto the home straight, by this time I've lost all sense of time and i don't know when the last time i ate was. Wheels back on and time to inspect the damage workmanship. Yeah i apologise once again as i probably should tidied up the alloys for the big shot. 

Anyway that's it, we made it, thank you for taking the time for having a look and im sorry if i raised any blood pressures. I think im going to stick to my design job