Roby3087

Crashed into the Back of me

So last night i was at traffic lights, car in front of me and 2 more cars behinde me, along comes a silver peugeot. I heard the first bang and thought what was that, next thing i knew, i was hit and moved about a foot. I didnt hit the car in front luckly. The peugeot forced 2 parked cars waiting for the lights to change into me.

I think ive been luckly. I cant see any damage or scratchs to my car. but the peugeot is a right off i would say. No one was hurt

When speaking to the police i was asking do i have to tell my insurance if theres no damage etc. and if there is damage or get the car checked how to do i claim. They told me that all i needed was the crime number and when at the garage give them that and they will charge the peugeot.

Am in 2minds if i should get it checked or not. I dont have time as i work nights and doing 7 nights for the next 2 weeks. 

The only thing i can see if the rear bottom reflectors may have been pushed in but not sure so could someone post a picture of theres please?

1 hour ago, Roby3087 said:

Am in 2minds if i should get it checked or not. I dont have time as i work nights and doing 7 nights for the next 2 weeks. 

if it was me i would get it checked over

2 hours ago, Roby3087 said:

So last night i was at traffic lights, car in front of me and 2 more cars behinde me, along comes a silver peugeot. I heard the first bang and thought what was that, next thing i knew, i was hit and moved about a foot. I didnt hit the car in front luckly. The peugeot forced 2 parked cars waiting for the lights to change into me.

I think ive been luckly. I cant see any damage or scratchs to my car. but the peugeot is a right off i would say. No one was hurt

When speaking to the police i was asking do i have to tell my insurance if theres no damage etc. and if there is damage or get the car checked how to do i claim. They told me that all i needed was the crime number and when at the garage give them that and they will charge the peugeot.

The only thing i can see if the rear bottom reflectors may have been pushed in but not sure so could someone post a picture of theres please?

Not quite sure why there would be a crime number for a RTA.

It won’t be a crime ref number,  just a report ref.  When I had a transit hit the back of me on a roundabout (it fled the accident) I reported it to police and no crime number but a normal report ref, which I passed to my insurer. 

I’d get it checked out. There could be damage behind the bumper that you are not aware of (there’s the vent panel behind the bumper).

I couldnt remember what they said it would be, and that was the first thing that came to mind, and said they would ring me with the ref number. this is my first crash or anything like this.

Do i tell my insurance? how do i go ahead and get the car checked?(does it have to go to VW, didnt buy it from VW) also who pays for it? 

I dont know anyone who has been hit before just when they have hit someone else. so they had to tell there insurance and am 27 and only driving for 3 years so dont want my insurance to go up as its massive as it is

To me the inner bits have been pushed in

20180211_145447.thumb.jpg.abe4fa98335bb731379a827b194c87a7.jpg20180211_145440.thumb.jpg.eeae94eedd82aea02d5e2a796d2217a3.jpg

If you are going to tell your insurer, you just phone your insurance company and report it as an accident and give them the police ref.  They will need the details of the offending vehicle/insurer etc, and will seek to recover costs against their insurance if yours needs checking, damage repairing.  There could be unseen damage so getting it checked out is prudent. The insurer will give you a body shop they have listed, but you can choose your own place to sent it to, and they will send an assessor along to assess and approve any work. 

I chose my own trusted body shop, which is not on my insurers list. In fact I drove my car there the day it got crashed into and left it there, then phoned my insurer with the police details, bodyshop details. Direct Line sent an assessor along to agree the work the body shop said was required and it was all approved.  Mine had a fair bit of visible damage though (including damage behind the bumper) and the repair cost nearly £4K so an insurance job.   

Course you could get it checked over/repairs without telling your insurer and the Peugeot sort the costs, which means its not flagged on your policy and so no hike in premium.  The minute you tell your insurer you can bet your premium will increase next time round! 

I had a similar incident in my R32. 2 weeks old and a 2CV went into the back of me. I saw no damage but exchanged details.

A colleague came up to me at work and asked what had happened to my car. I went outside and could see, from a distance, that the bumper was wonky. Ended up needing £1k of repairs.

Get it sorted properly.

It really is a case of telling your insurance company.

if you read the T&C's, they will pretty much say you are mandated to inform them.

also as mentioned above, get it checked out, nothing worse than finding something out much later and having to shell out of your own pocket.

You’ve got to have it checked at a bodyshop as there could be hidden damage behind the bumper.

Gavras is also right: your t&cs might say to contact them if you have a shunt. But I’d check if it’s worth doing that first by getting it to a trusted local body shop/repairer.

7 hours ago, Roby3087 said:

I couldnt remember what they said it would be, and that was the first thing that came to mind, and said they would ring me with the ref number. this is my first crash or anything like this.

Do i tell my insurance? how do i go ahead and get the car checked?(does it have to go to VW, didnt buy it from VW) also who pays for it? 

I dont know anyone who has been hit before just when they have hit someone else. so they had to tell there insurance and am 27 and only driving for 3 years so dont want my insurance to go up as its massive as it is

To me the inner bits have been pushed in

20180211_145447.thumb.jpg.abe4fa98335bb731379a827b194c87a7.jpg20180211_145440.thumb.jpg.eeae94eedd82aea02d5e2a796d2217a3.jpg

It sucks but tell your insurer otherwise you can bet it will come back and bite you. 😑

I had similar last year.

Guy stopped in front of me to reverse park into his drive in a hired van he had just picked up. I stopped about 15 feet behind him. His reverse light came on and he reversed straight into my front bumper. Claimed he wasn't used to driving a van and he simply didn't see me in his wing mirrors.

Only damage was a crack in my front grill and a cracked number plate surround.

Went through insurance as is proper, took the car to the insurance approved body shop. 

Somehow, they came up with nearly £2000 of cosmetic repairs including a bumper re-spray (there was absolutely no paint damage, I have photos to prove).

The (unnecessary) re-spray was shoddy, with terrible paint run marks, and they (for no explainable reason) spilt large dribbles of industrial strength cutting compound down the side of my drivers and offside rear doors. Told me it was bird poo and just to wipe it off, and when I tried to take it off with a microfiber cloth and detailer spray, it scratched the hell out of my paintwork that had nothing to do with the accident, so ended up scratching 2 doors of my pristine car.

Obviously I complained, and it went back in for another re-spray of the front bumper, and a paint correction of the contaminated/scratched panels.

It looks cosmetically fine now, but the insurance company didn't give a shit when I told them that it was re-sprayed for no reason (other than to bump up the cost of the claim), and what's worse, it looks like the guy that has caused the accident is denying it was his fault. The insurance company did say its highly likely that he'll say I went into the back of him (even though I'm pretty sure that's quite hard in a low speed incident with the Mk 7's auto braking technology).

At the time, he was very apologetic, admitted fault, and was willing to pay cash for the grill and number plate surround. However I was concerned, as has already been mentioned, that there may have been damage in unseen areas or on the radar module, so I put the car in to a 'approved repairer' as recommended.

It's not been concluded yet, but I'm fully expecting to loose my £150 excess and have a fault claim on my insurance when I'm up for renewal in October (and for the next 5 years renewals). 19 years of driving and not a single claim, but now looks like I'm going to be paying for someone else's incompetence and dishonesty.

Just a different approach to the topic, but in my case, I really wish I  took his offer of a roadside cash settlement.