Roby3087

Crashed into the Back of me

Unless the insurance laws are very different in the UK, the OP should see no increase in premiums given there is a police report that shows the Peugeot was at fault and the other 2 cars were 'partially' at fault for stopping too close to the car in front.  The OP is fully the victim here (and demonstrated good driving by not stopping too close to the car in front...) so must bring the car in for inspection (possible hidden damage...) and report it to his insurance in particular if there is damage.

If the laws are THAT different, again, get it inspected and decide from there depending on the findings...

Good luck...

Eric

2 hours ago, Summons said:

Unless the insurance laws are very different in the UK, the OP should see no increase in premiums given there is a police report that shows the Peugeot was at fault and the other 2 cars were 'partially' at fault for stopping too close to the car in front.  The OP is fully the victim here (and demonstrated good driving by not stopping too close to the car in front...) so must bring the car in for inspection (possible hidden damage...) and report it to his insurance in particular if there is damage.

If the laws are THAT different, again, get it inspected and decide from there depending on the findings...

Good luck...

Eric

It's not really the law that's the problem.  In the UK and insurance firm can make up whatever price they like.  They say that what they do is use statisctical analysis to determine someone's risk, and cost of vehicle/repair costs to then decide on the price.

So the OP may well suffer if declared, as one of the many factors they take into account is whether the driver has been involved in an accident (regardless of fault), and how this has an effect on the likelihood of a future one.   

I once suffered just like this.  I was driving my girlfriends cars (on her insurance) when someone ran into the back of us while we were waiting at red traffic lights.  The following year my insurance went up several hundred pounds as I'd been involved in an accident, despite it not being my fault, my car or my insurance.   Indeed if I'd been sitting somewhere else, I'd not have suffered.

Insurance is a strange world.

Good luck...
   Eric

Eric

I’m afraid that’s not the case in the uk. There is a very real risk that the OP will have a premium increase either if this goes through as a fault or non fault claim: which seems very unfair if you didn’t cause the accident!

It sounds ridiculous but this seems to be the fact over here.

1 hour ago, phil4 said:

It's not really the law that's the problem.  In the UK and insurance firm can make up whatever price they like.  They say that what they do is use statisctical analysis to determine someone's risk, and cost of vehicle/repair costs to then decide on the price.

So the OP may well suffer if declared, as one of the many factors they take into account is whether the driver has been involved in an accident (regardless of fault), and how this has an effect on the likelihood of a future one.   

I once suffered just like this.  I was driving my girlfriends cars (on her insurance) when someone ran into the back of us while we were waiting at red traffic lights.  The following year my insurance went up several hundred pounds as I'd been involved in an accident, despite it not being my fault, my car or my insurance.   Indeed if I'd been sitting somewhere else, I'd not have suffered.

Insurance is a strange world.

1 hour ago, markR said:

Eric

I’m afraid that’s not the case in the uk. There is a very real risk that the OP will have a premium increase either if this goes through as a fault or non fault claim: which seems very unfair if you didn’t cause the accident!

It sounds ridiculous but this seems to be the fact over here.

@Summons  Unfortunately insurance wise situation is quite different in the UK.  The above ^^ sums it up. 

So ive been to the police station and got my incident ref as they didnt ring me, Ive also had the car to a arnold clark accident repair centre, they have lifted the car and had a look. They said there is no damage and the only thing they can see is cosmetic damage to the bumper in 3 places. They wouldnt give me a price how much to fix and said if i wanted a quote then my insurance would have to send me there and not go on my own.

I want it fixed as i know its there now and what if the paints starts to flake off next year.

Ive also informed my insurance of this so will see what comes back.

IUK insurance is all arse about face, they penalise you for being hit by someone, even if it isn't your fault. Someone who drives 10k a year through a city is statistically more likely to be involved in an incident than the same person driving 10k out in the country side. So therefore they are a higher risk for insurance companies.

In a weird and wonderful way it makes sense. But at the same time it makes no sense at all.

Dash cams are the way forward, even a basic thing can prove who hit who, or even if you were moving at the time of collision.

Feel the OP is doing right by informing the insurance company, even if it does bump your insurance up slightly.

Wow!!  Premium hike for being in the wrong place and as in the OP's case, not smacking into the car in front!

I pay a higher premium for living downtown in Toronto; with all the nutbar drivers here, I get it, and accept the premium.  That said, if in the OP's position, there'd be no questions...  Report, get it fixed at their expense, and carry on...  

I'm sure there's a similar scam run by our local insurance people - I just haven't run afoul of it yet!

Good luck Roby3087!

Eric

The only thing the insurance company care about is not paying for anything and charging extra for whatever reason they can.. it is slightly different when you claim from a TP though... that's when they get to make extra money. Not you.. them! Insurance is a racket... it is the very same thing as protection money except in a different format. Assurance is what you think you get with insurance but insurance is the same as insecurity. The opposite of secure.

Tell them nothing otherwise they may penalise you because you have given them a reason to... I have just had to make a claim for someone hitting my car whilst parked... atleast 1k damage... guess who pays... guess who gets penalised... all for wanting to be "protected" in the event of a situation like so...

I even had pikeys write my golf off ten years ago... uninsured lying pikey scumbags who were caught out lying but got away with it all leaving me a massive bill to pay or face financial penalties for years to come.

I mean, if I wasn't forced by non-elected men and women to buy their scam in order to "travel freely along the queens highway" as given by right according to the Magna Carta then this wouldn't be an issue... but then I can hear people moaning about what would happen if you had an accident and had to pay out for costs etc... well my friends... let me let you into a little secret... you supposedly have "National Insurance". Which you are forced to pay for each month. Why, if you are already Insured nationally, do you require additional insurance nationally? Because... you are being fleeced tis why.

There is a massive group of easily malleable people who seem to get off on doing as they are told. There is also a small group of people who get off on telling you what to do... "or else".  It's called modern slavery and everyone effing loves it.

The best bit is when your car has a tiny bit of damage that is deemed uneconomical to repair... classing your car as a write-off... which is then magically transferred from your hands into the hands of the insurer... I don't remember agreeing that I would give them my car if its written off in exchange for less than what its worth... It is/was my understanding that if something happens my premium covers me. why the hell do you get to keep my car? I haven't sold it to you, or agreed to sell it to you, you ave just told me that it is a write off and that I will be paid out for it. you also never mention that once you have taken my car from me without my consent, that you will sell it on to someone else who will immediately put the car up for sale as a "very light damage" easy to repair car. WHO IS LYING AND DEFRAUDING ME????????

Pay up b1tches :)

12 hours ago, Summons said:

Wow!!  Premium hike for being in the wrong place and as in the OP's case, not smacking into the car in front!

I pay a higher premium for living downtown in Toronto; with all the nutbar drivers here, I get it, and accept the premium.  That said, if in the OP's position, there'd be no questions...  Report, get it fixed at their expense, and carry on...  

I'm sure there's a similar scam run by our local insurance people - I just haven't run afoul of it yet!

Good luck Roby3087!

Eric

Being in the wrong place at the wrong time can have unexpected financial consequences in North America as well.  Several years ago when I owned my MK6 R, I was in a queue on an inclined street waiting for a traffic light to change.  The woman driving the car in front of me deliberately rolled back into the front of my car, then claimed I'd hit her.  She called police, ambulance, fire department, etc. and one of her passengers was carried off in a stretcher to the emergency department.  The impact was just a tap.  There was no damage to the R and probably none on her car, though the bumper was too scratched to tell for sure.  It took an hour blocking rush hour traffic to sort things out and the police gave both of us tickets allegedly because of the "he said/she said" situation.  What a surreal scam it turned out to be!  Of course I notified my insurance company, provided photos showing no damage, and insisted  they deny any physical or medical claim she might make which happily they did.  Metro Atlanta courts are bureaucratic nightmares; it took two years (!!) for the case to come up for trial.  The other driver failed to show and one of the court reps canceled my ticket because she said it shouldn't have been issued in the first place.  Turns out the officer wrote up the other driver's ticket stating the "accident" was her fault and she was making things up.  He also cited her for several other violations.  My insurance premium did not rise.  But when I went to trade the MK6 R on my MK7 there was online record of it being in an accident which adversely affected its value.  In a world where we're lucky enough to enjoy such wonderful possessions, I try to be philosophical about occasional bumps in the road.  No one says life is fair.   

My Insurance has told me to go though hers so i have rang them and they offered me £260 to fix the scratchs and that on my own. Took it to get a estimate and they come back with £752 to fix it. So i think ill pass on the £260 as i will also need a courtesy car to get to work and back. Her insurance has already said they would pay for the courtesy car and that i can take it where i want if i didnt want to use there repair people.

So lets see what they come back with once they see the quote.