Deltabox

Putting my mind at rest... theft.

Guys, using Tapatalk so apologies if in the wrong section. Still getting use to it.

My cars ordered and starting to fret that my car may get robbed. We live on a quiet lane Fields back and foward with little traffic. House is alarmed. CCTV all over and car parked on drive. We have just built a garage for our lwb T5 so not really wanting to move that out for car.

Missus is more bothered than me. I’m going to put a couple of floods up and additional panic alarms. Cars not due till May so I’ve got time.

What else do folks swear by? Disk steering locks? Lockable posts on drive?? I haven’t had keyless as an option as worried?

Any advice greatly appreaciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to live man.. Can't be paranoid all the time. As above; anti snap locks for your doors, key pocket to block key signal if keyless entry, auto watch ghost, a dog, everything you've said and Chuck Norris as a security guard.. But seriously, insurance is there - make sure you have GAP insurance - and go as far as you wish but don't lose sleep. 

I would not worry overly much, as mentioned get decent Avocet or Ultion and decent door bolts.

its all about trying to stop it happening in first place.

if putting floods up have a mix of senor ones and ones you can turn on from house.

programamble or internet controllable house lights are handy as well.

persude your neighbour to buy an M4 or similar.

also as mentioned GAP and just leave your keys downstairs.

Thanks everyone and apologies for the late reply. Car landed on Saturday and diskloc landing tomorrow and ghost being fitted on saturday. Flood lights wired up and additional lights on front of house. Dogs in side entrance and all doors to outside of property alarmed at night. Gap insurance planned but insurance covers for new in 1st year, so will take out shortly..

Oh and this missus keeps blocking me in with her car and sleeps nearest to window so to hear any goings on!!

7 hours ago, Deltabox said:

Thanks everyone and apologies for the late reply. Car landed on Saturday and diskloc landing tomorrow and ghost being fitted on saturday. Flood lights wired up and additional lights on front of house. Dogs in side entrance and all doors to outside of property alarmed at night. Gap insurance planned but insurance covers for new in 1st year, so will take out shortly..

Oh and this missus keeps blocking me in with her car and sleeps nearest to window so to hear any goings on!!

Congrats on new car.

one thing to watch out for with insurance company GAP is that invariably it's back to invoice and not full replacement.

personally I would get Frank Pickles, ALA etc GAP sorted now and remember to ask for discount, they usually knock about 10% off and go for full replacement for full term of PCP or long as you can if bought.

On 21/02/2018 at 23:06, Gavras said:

Persude your neighbour to buy an M4 or similar.

Nice idea, but both my near neighbours are in their late seventies, so could be tricky.

And their cars seem to have an electronically limited top speed of 34mph 😂

Also, can't really picture an M4 pulling a caravan, so I'll just suggest an expensive Range Rover..

Seriously though, I agree you can only do so much (i.e. sensible precautions that don't cost a fortune).

If you spend a lot of time worrying about it, you have bought the wrong car.

Sounds like you live in the country. Get a shotgun license, take up sport shooting and leave gun next to bed at night.

job done 

Lol, it’s an idea although I think a sawn off would best idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAP insurance...take reasonable efforts to garage the car if possible.  Mixed views on what to do with the keys.  

Sleep with one eye open or sleep in the car :-)

The ghost device sounds sensible. 

I was in a REVO tuning place on saturday. Just having a 4 wheel alignment and a botched wheel balance sorted :-)  The map comes with some kind of anti theft (SPS?). Not sure how that works,  Cars mega now, Think alignment may have been slightlty off from factory which is apparently common...getting off topic!

Enoy the the new R!

Been thinking about this topic for a while now but I wonder if the deadlock/mortice style locks you usually see fitted to solid doors are any better for security than these cylinder locks in the PVC doors? 

Obviously a wood door can degrade over time in the elements so isn't suited as a front door if you do not have a front porch, but I reckon if you had a front porch, then a PVC door with proper anti snap cylinder locks (stage 1), followed by the main front door which was a solid wood door with mortice locks (stage 2) wouldn't be a bad shout. If you have the budget then you could go for a composite door which are very apparently very secure - I'm not sure if these require the cylinder locks or if other options can be chosen. I'd image a well thought out plan of 2 doors with proper locks, along with security film over the windows would keep most out.

If you have a wooden frame then the hinge fittings, locks (anything fitted to the wood) will weaken the wood, so you should get lock guards and hinge guards that strengthen those areas to prevent door kick ins.

When I eventually buy my own house, you can be sure that I'll be making it as secure as possible and not just relying on a single defence such as anti-snap locks!!