Luke_M87

Used MK7 R buying guide

Hi guys and gals

Another new member here, it seems that as the first MK7 R's are starting to filter through into the used car market, many of us are trying to find out what to look out for, when certain tech changed and servicing guidelines.

Currently I have an Audi 8p S3 and have decided after 2 Audi's it's time to move away to another brand. Originally i was looking at the BMW M135i or a MK6/7 GTI, after some research, some snow and ice recently and then test driving a MK7 R I've decided this is the car for me.

In the past I've been one for doing my research on a car and then buying, but i always seem to find more out after purchase, such as although you ma have a face lift car the tech may be pre-face lift.

I've looked and looked but cannot find a definitive buying guide for these great cars you all own.  

I just thought it'd be great if owners of the MK7 R could give their advice in one thread that covers a few questions we all seem to want to ask and save the same questions being asked over and over.

Any of you that might be able to help could you answer the following:

• When was the running in service due
  • What is the service interval on the Haldex and the same for the DSG box
  • Does the manual car have a clutch made of cheese just like the S3?
  • I now know the MIB I or MIB II is the infotainment system, but how can you tell the difference? 
  • If an early car has Discover Nav or Dynaudio does this have the MIB II features such as carplay/android auto or bluetooth connectivity/carnet
  • It's still a little early for any rust i think, but are there any bodywork issues to look for?
  • The options lists can vary hugely which are worth spending the extra on 
  • What are the realistic MPG figures that can be expected on a daily commute through town or motorway driving, currently I get around 23-25 on mixed A roads and a bit of traffic.
  • Can you retrofit MIB II, or can you work an MIB I to get the connectivity with a phone?
  • Does anyone know the reg's of the press cars?
  • Are there any recalls on these cars currently?
  • Is there any oil consumption issues? 
  • the old TFSI engines had issues with fuel pumps are there any regular maintenance niggles that a new owner would need to consider (other then the usual checks)
  • What is the VW oil spec required?
  • Is there anything to look out for on a test drive other then the usual checks. (I've heard about a turbo rattle?) 

• Tuning potential, as with all performance cars people will want to tune them, which tuners are getting the most out of the cars at the moment? 

I understand these are all questions that seem to always be asked, but it seems quite hard to find the answers in one place and I was hoping this may help us future owners to get a base of what we are looking at.

This may take a while to answer in full if you have the knowledge, but i can assure you it will be hugely appreciated by many I'm sure.

If there is a buying guide already available sorry for the new thread, but i have searched and searched and cannot see one.

Cheers in advance

Luke

• When was the running in service due - I'm not aware there is on... running in period is recommended at 1000 miles in the handbook though.
  • What is the service interval on the Haldex and the same for the DSG box - I may be wrong but think it's 40,000 miles
  • Does the manual car have a clutch made of cheese just like the S3? - Apparently.
  • I now know the MIB I or MIB II is the infotainment system, but how can you tell the difference?  - I think it's mainly capability, but more reliably build date, I recall 2016 BW22 was mentioned recently.
  • If an early car has Discover Nav or Dynaudio does this have the MIB II features such as carplay/android auto or bluetooth connectivity/carnet - MIB2 with the voice button can have Carplay added.  Any proper FL car (ie. new front bumper style), should either have it already, or it can be added.
  • It's still a little early for any rust i think, but are there any bodywork issues to look for? - Not that I know of
  • The options lists can vary hugely which are worth spending the extra on  - the ones you want... honestly.   There's a thread here, that may help you decide that:

• What are the realistic MPG figures that can be expected on a daily commute through town or motorway driving, currently I get around 23-25 on mixed A roads and a bit of traffic.   - Probably about the same.  I've had it as high as 37... and as low as 23, depends on so many factors it'd be hard to say.
  • Can you retrofit MIB II, or can you work an MIB I to get the connectivity with a phone? - You can bluetooth a phone to MIB1, but no carplay etc.
  • Does anyone know the reg's of the press cars? - Sorry. I don't.
  • Are there any recalls on these cars currently? - Not that I know of, but equally there's usually loads of "minor" ones that get done at service.
  • Is there any oil consumption issues?  - Not that I know of.
  • the old TFSI engines had issues with fuel pumps are there any regular maintenance niggles that a new owner would need to consider (other then the usual checks) - Not that I know of
  • What is the VW oil spec required? - sorry, don't know.
  • Is there anything to look out for on a test drive other then the usual checks. (I've heard about a turbo rattle?)  - Do you like it?

MIB2 was introduced on cars built from 22 May 2015, MY16. It was at this time that CarPlay also became an option.  Prior to this date the system is MIB1 and no CarPlay.  MIB1 units cannot have CarPlay retroactivated at all. Some MIB2 units can have CarPlay added and some not.  Contrary to what’s posted above, some MIB2 units have a Voice button, and some have a Mute button, so that’s not a way to be sure it’s MIB2.  The way to be certain which is which - MIB1 non pro units, so that’s Discover Nav or Composition Media - have a screen 5.8”, whereas MIB2 screens are 6.5” (diagonally measured).  For Pro Nav however both MIB1 and MIB2 screens are 8”.  Only MIB2 units with a Voice button can have CarPlay activated if not factory specced.     MIB2 Pro Nav units have CarPlay included.  This info relates to the 7R not the facelift. 

There’s answers to most of your other questions, or plenty of info on them, but spread across multiple threads and not in one place. However if you use the forum search facility and use a few choice keywords for your queries (recommended oil; average mpg; clutch; running in....etc) you should be able to find a wealth of info on pretty much everything you asked. 

Thank you all for taking the time to answer these questions. 

I'm looking forward to seeing a sellers face when i pull a tape measure out to measure the screen 😆

Planning to put my car up for sale in the next couple of weeks and start my search for an R. 

I have been searching the forum and Googleing like mad for about 3 months now, but thought it would be good to get a thread that could answer a typical potential new owners questions all at once.

On 2/22/2018 at 22:30, Booth11 said:

MIB2 was introduced on cars built from 22 May 2015, MY16. It was at this time that CarPlay also became an option.  Prior to this date the system is MIB1 and no CarPlay.  MIB1 units cannot have CarPlay retroactivated at all. Some MIB2 units can have CarPlay added and some not.  Contrary to what’s posted above, some MIB2 units have a Voice button, and some have a Mute button, so that’s not a way to be sure it’s MIB2.  The way to be certain which is which - MIB1 non pro units, so that’s Discover Nav or Composition Media - have a screen 5.8”, whereas MIB2 screens are 6.5” (diagonally measured).  For Pro Nav however both MIB1 and MIB2 screens are 8”.  Only MIB2 units with a Voice button can have CarPlay activated if not factory specced.     MIB2 Pro Nav units have CarPlay included.  This info relates to the 7R not the facelift. 

There’s answers to most of your other questions, or plenty of info on them, but spread across multiple threads and not in one place. However if you use the forum search facility and use a few choice keywords for your queries (recommended oil; average mpg; clutch; running in....etc) you should be able to find a wealth of info on pretty much everything you asked. 

Can you check for MIB2 off the VIN at a dealership Rebecca?

Hey all, I’ll be taking delivery of my mk7.5 estate soon. 

question. When pressing Nav on the display it says “database not available” - I presume this means that the SD card has been corrupted or isn’t present and that it would be a perfectly reasonable request to have this supplied, fitted and up and running before collection? 

It’s not like a subscription has run out and I have to buy or anything is it? Car is less than 3yrs old. 

thanks!

Hey all, I’ll be taking delivery of my mk7.5 estate soon. 

question. When pressing Nav on the display it says “database not available” - I presume this means that the SD card has been corrupted or isn’t present and that it would be a perfectly reasonable request to have this supplied, fitted and up and running before collection? 

It’s not like a subscription has run out and I have to buy or anything is it? Car is less than 3yrs old. 

thanks!

Yea It means missing SD card. Mine was missing too, told dealer after test drive and they got one for me. Definitely a reasonable request it be supplied, no subscription with maps AFAIK.