Scorchio595a

Pretoria Alloys - Aftermarket

Hi all, I have a set of genuine Pretoria Alloys 19" on my car at the moment and wondered about getting an aftermarket set to switch out in Winter (for the beast from the East) senario. I am confused about the offset and rim width, the genuine parts I have seen for sale 5G0601025AJZ49 is listed as having offset 50 and rim width 8J, is this correct?

Meanwhile those I have seen on aftermarket sites are offset 45 and rim width 8.5J, Are the aftermarket any good and why are they different, surely they just use an original cast to make the aftermarket?

Hope someone can help me understand these basic questions.

Thanks

I’m really interested in this post. I’ll be following it with keen interest! I’m in the same boat as u pal.  I was considering a set of replicas too but can’t find anyone that has a set to gain any feedback. 

Good luck!!

5 hours ago, Scorchio595a said:

Hi all, I have a set of genuine Pretoria Alloys 19" on my car at the moment and wondered about getting an aftermarket set to switch out in Winter (for the beast from the East) senario. I am confused about the offset and rim width, the genuine parts I have seen for sale 5G0601025AJZ49 is listed as having offset 50 and rim width 8J, is this correct?

Meanwhile those I have seen on aftermarket sites are offset 45 and rim width 8.5J, Are the aftermarket any good and why are they different, surely they just use an original cast to make the aftermarket?

Hope someone can help me understand these basic questions.

Thanks

You can have anything between 40 to 50 offset and 8 to 8.5" would be fine.

The only difference between the 8" and 8.5" is that with the 8" you have more protection from kerbing as the tire sticks out a bit more whereas with the 8.5" it is stretched so you have slightly less.

I am buying another set my self so have managed to look into this and what it means.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies perfect, I wanted to keep the 19" look so didn't consider the 18" . I'll look into the weight element but as mentioned probably not noticeable.

I'll pop feedback on when I get around to buying a set.

I found 18"

5 hours ago, Scorchio595a said:

Thanks for the replies perfect, I wanted to keep the 19" look so didn't consider the 18" . I'll look into the weight element but as mentioned probably not noticeable.

I'll pop feedback on when I get around to buying a set.

I run 18 " winter wheels as i found the tyres so much cheaper than 19" winter tyres  , had cadiz reps for a while but now have TD 1.2 s, Remember you will have the cost of 4 tyres being changed  over in the spring and the autumn  and that adds up if your going to keep your car a few years .

On 2/27/2018 at 20:22, mikie22 said:

From what iv seen the reps are stronger than genuine ones. Maybe heavier but not that much that youl notice it on the road. Not bad for £500 imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reps are 4kgs heavier per wheel which doesn't sound a lot, but that is unsprung weight and it makes a massive difference to handling and ride comfort. OK for your winters though.