mike150

Water leak through the back speaker!

I'd looked up water leaks in the Golf Mk7 and it seems mine has the disease!

The water runs into the back door through the window rubbers and instead of running out the drain holes it pools on the door rubber and runs into the car.

After leaving it into VW today they have told me the speaker seals have gone and I need a new speaker, although they are replacing the other one too, and a whole interior carpet set as the sound deadning is damp! I'm worried about the last bit but they assure me I'll never know they have been there.

Parts are ordered and next week it goes back.

VW have never issued a recall for this which is surprising as it will affect all 5Dr Mk 7's and I imagine they will all suffer this eventually.

Could be worse, at least it's not as bad as the Focus head gasket stinker!

DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

On 08/03/2018 at 22:36, stonefish said:

Rubbish isn't it. I've got the same problem.  What are they doing about the dodgy door seals??

There's nothing wrong with the door seals, it's the speaker seals failing causing the water to run out of the door panel and onto the inside of the door seal rather than out the drain in the bottom of the door.

I'm tempted to tell them not to change the carpet as it seems dry as my car is garaged at night and the carpet is immaculate, I don't want any other issues from the new carpet having to be fitted.

The speakers are a right PITA to change as they are rivetted in. I recently removed mine to replace the check arm which was squeaky.

My speaker looked like this with a seal on that looks like it’s applied wet and sets to a compliant foam consistency.

Also, front and rear speakers are the same I believe ......

90e551de61a3b950451c0ed89628fa8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

leaky.jpg.0a52e8a4ca874dc0e09db12391848f0b.jpgThanks Mike for putting me straight. I tried a test with a watering can and water soon started peeing out the bottom of the door card below the passengers side rear speaker.  I can see why VW have not issued a recall. I'm pretty sure all four of my doors will need doing and that will cost VW a lot of time and money.

39 minutes ago, stonefish said:

leaky.jpg.0a52e8a4ca874dc0e09db12391848f0b.jpgThanks Mike for putting me straight. I tried a test with a watering can and water soon started peeing out the bottom of the door card below the passengers side rear speaker.  I can see why VW have not issued a recall. I'm pretty sure all four of my doors will need doing and that will cost VW a lot of time and money.

Rubbish isn't it? I couldn't figure it at first.

They are replacing both my back speakers.

3 hours ago, mike150 said:

Rubbish isn't it? I couldn't figure it at first.

They are replacing both my back speakers.

Yeah that is rubbish !

Some of these things I wonder why it’s so different to sister company Audi who seal the speaker with a nitto foam gasket so you have a wider seal barrier and also just bolt them in.

Mine is the exact same. Its definitely coming from the bottom of the speaker on the door panel. It only happens when it heavily rains. I've booked mine in with arnold clark (thats where i purchased the car 2 weeks ago) so they can do a 'water test'. I know exactly where the leak is. Are they obliged to repace speakers etc if required?