gtijohnny

disguising a golf r

been thinking about buying a golf r for a while now, but the one thing that's holding me back is the increased risk of theft, house break in, car jacking etc,  just cant be @rsed with all that.   so I was  thinking maybe If I could give the car a complete disguise 😎

first thing would be a debadge with new 1.4 tsi badge, maybe  change wheels,  seat covers to hide seats  😃

exhaust would be a problem, I think you'd need to change to a single outlet  as exhaust is probably the r's most distinguished feature,   not sure how this would affect performance though.

what do ya think, do ya think it's possible to make an r look like a base model or run of the mill golf that no one would look at twice.

on the plus side, could have a bit of fun with the boy racers etc  😀

Sounds like a waste of your time and money and energy. That's giving the car a bad name. Buy a base GTI and just tune it if your willing to chop shop the R man. I love my 2018 Tornado Red DSG Golf R man and hearing you say this makes me cringe as you can see these pictures are why you buy a Golf R in the first place man. Just park in the back of parking lots and put it in the garage and have good insurance 828f8a8f5d6cc9d69a944e757ff20116.jpgd820e14537c9c427d675fe7130e62ad5.jpgdd05792ab5529c3d23a8386173f85dff.jpg4272e9c0403d8c61ef5b6e298477a3c9.jpga1ffeb6474b21a2a94a8755cf4c5a84b.jpgae1939a270c6f08fa9cc910ddbc01a7f.jpg93e0631cdb0c587e22d8204114b5dcd1.jpg599b0bff6921a455275ae449c6f9861c.jpg09ced78d4b93c7e93810064fc19c63bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you change badges and wheels then park rear end in (so no one can see the exhausts) then most people wouldn't give it a second glance.  It's your car, go ahead and do whatever you want .......

Sleeper look for the win in my opinion. I think the best compromise would be to remove all of the R badges and give it a single exit exhaust. Cover one of the exhaust holes in the rear diffuser and mess with peoples minds as they wonder what just happened as you pull away at traffic lights. 

Contemplated doing similar with my Mk2 ST as it was grey and would have looked like a Zetec S to the untrained eye, just one with 315bhp and 420lb/ft. Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of a having a custom exhaust made and sourcing a Zetec bumper in the end. Seems a few companies now make an "off the shelf" single exit exhaust for them now😑.

Imagine your insurance costs would increase too as the car is modified 

Totally pointless idea, these scum try and steal anything.

around here they have stolen, passats, Mondeo's, basic corsa's, fiesta's, camper vans, Polo's etc.

a girl a few properties down from ours had her 5 year old Peugeot 307/8 stolen, it was basic model.

if you carried out all those changes, then you be be paying more for insurance and have pretty much same chance of having it stolen.

also it would still attract attention when you drove it, this then runs risk of being followed home,  unless you always kept it in eco mode, 

Doing all that work and then having it stolen.

no matter the car you buy it is always at risk of being stolen, that's a fact and I don't think the chances of theft increase that much if you own an R.

making your house less attractive to these scum is key to all this and then adding in visual security like a disclock to the car and possibly Ghost.

Not sure you'd pay more insurance for removing a few badges and cutting the exhaust tailpipes off one side and covering up the original gap in the rear lower spoiler? I'm all for it and considered doing it on mine as it's very similar looking to the GTD, so I'd suggest putting these badges on it.

I did this once with my Vectra 2.5 V6 - badged it as a 1.6. Confused the hell out of lots of ppl, including V6 owners who couldn't understand why they couldn't even keep up (was running the 3.0 cams and a custom map!)

I'm going to entertain this.

You can change the wheels, as 17" Dijon alloys (Standard Golf 1.4 TSI GT wheels) will fit over the standard R brake calipers.

De-badging the car costs nothing and is relatively easy.

The exhaust would be an interesting one.  The 1.4 TSI has twin exhausts; however, the rear valance will still have a hole where the other set of tips would be.  I would go (and I have) down the route of getting the exhaust tips de-chromed and powder coated or ceramic coated to help the R tips blend in with the rear valance.

On the other hand spend the money on enhancing security and sleep tightly at night.  The R is still a subtle in looks when compared to the other manufacturers, just don't draw attention to it when you're driving.

1 hour ago, Shug said:

Put BMW M badges on it, everyone will assume it’s a 1.6 or diesel like most of the badged Ms near me.... 1f60b.png

Would R-Line badges not be a better idea? 😉

I love this idea. I’m on my second R  which has all badges now but my previous car was completely de-badged and while anyone who liked cars still recognized it as a Golf R most people asked me was it a diesel!

My new car gets far more unwanted attention than my old one.

I would get the car in Grey/Silver or dark blue and just take all badges off.

The quad exhaust looks cool, but even the thickest scrote knows the car it is on is something special.  I do like the Q car idea and the exhaust is the biggest giveaway.  The Audi A3 8V 2.0 TFSI Quattro exhaust looks like it might do the job with a bit of fettling???