gtijohnny

disguising a golf r

I think the Golf R is quite understated anyway,apart from the quad exhausts its only when you get up close & see the brakes,intercoolers etc that you realise its a bit special & thats what i like about it,i saw a R-line Golf driving towards me today & i thought it was R until i got close to it & saw the small wheels etc.

The arseholes that nick these are a lot of things but stupid they aren't and no matter how hard you try to disguise it they'll be able to spot it a mile off. 
Exactly, why waste money disguising it. Just buy a base GTI and tune in then.... I have a new 18 Tornado Red R DSG and hearing someone talk about chopping it up makes me cringe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, voorhees said:

I have purchased an R-Line rear badge and I ain't even got the car yet:D as soon as I got my old car I debadged it.

Why?

what you got planned for those low key exhausts?

5 hours ago, voorhees said:

I have purchased an R-Line rear badge and I ain't even got the car yet:D as soon as I got my old car I debadged it.

4 hours ago, Gavras said:

Why?

what you got planned for those low key exhausts?

And when they look inside the car and see the 4 motion badge near the gear stick....

Let alone the Golf R styling - change the whole body kit? It might be subtle but its still unique to the R.

Anyway, if they half suspect its an R, they can just put the number plate into an App and it will tell them what car it is. :unsure:

It depends on who you are trying to deceive.  99+% of average motorists wouldn't know (or notice) anyway.  Golf enthusiasts will know anyway, and other observant drivers may notice the 4 exhausts and wonder whether it is something slightly more serious than a shopping trolley Golf. 

If I was going to do anything similar I wouldn't bother adding R-line badge, I'd just remove the R badges (the car will look "cleaner" as well)

Interesting topic. My initial test drive was an Indium Grey estate. Plan was GTD wheels and badges and just leave the exhausts. I figured it would stop the knobbers who suddenly want to 'race' and, when parked in my drive where the back is up against a wall, reduce any theft risk. I've had powerful BMWs before and, without their badge, they could be much slower ones, especially if in SE trim. I like a sleeper!

Anyway, didn't like the condition of the grey one and bought a pre-reg Lapiz. As it's the signature colour, i am not bothering to try to disguise anything! I sort of wish I had bought a more subtle colour to disguise it but Lapiz is my favourite so swings and roundabouts.

Completely pointless exercise. You must remember that modern car thieves are not as stupid as we like to think. They don’t steal to joy ride, it’s big big business. They will spot it’s a Golf R a mile off even if you make attempts to change its appearance. It could potentially make it more of a target to be stolen as essentially you have made it ‘blender’ to the average joe. 

Keep the car as it was intended, get good insurance and GAP(if required) and enjoy it. Yes there are horror stories of R’s etc getting stolen but it is still extremely unlikely to happen and if it does. Don’t let them win by dictating what you drive and living in fear.

I think it’s an interesting idea but doubt it would have the effect you’re hoping for.

Can see the fun behind making it look like a base model but surprise people off the lights etc, and it makes a change from people making lesser spec cars look like an R though...

That being said it’s so understated anyway most don’t realise until they see the exhaust... all you would need to do is change the exhaust and diffuser to match, plus rebadge say, and you will have done enough to go under mosts radar.

On balance it seems a waste of time tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Darlo said:

Completely pointless exercise. You must remember that modern car thieves are not as stupid as we like to think. They don’t steal to joy ride, it’s big big business. They will spot it’s a Golf R a mile off even if you make attempts to change its appearance. It could potentially make it more of a target to be stolen as essentially you have made it ‘blender’ to the average joe. 

Keep the car as it was intended, get good insurance and GAP(if required) and enjoy it. Yes there are horror stories of R’s etc getting stolen but it is still extremely unlikely to happen and if it does. Don’t let them win by dictating what you drive and living in fear.

To add to the above.

the majority of cars are stolen for parts, these parts are either sold (Gum tree or car forums) or more likely used to repair insurance write off vehicles, with the write off being sold.

if you look at types of cars stolen in West Midlands, invariably they are family cars and nothing special, yes high performance will attract more attention, possibly due to more fuckwits crashing them and fuelling write off repairs..

a few minutes scrolling down the West Midlands Stolen car page shows how much variation there is.

https://m.facebook.com/stolencarsmidlands/

its far more important to make you house harder to get in to, lock snapping and pvc burning is the usual method, protect against them and you vastly improve chance of you car NOT being stolen.

a mate had his S3 stolen recently, his locks where snapped, even though he knew about attempt at my car and I had sent him link for ultion / avocet. His excuse? He was busy and meant to order them.

utterly pointless trying to disguise a Golf R, it would likely just get stolen for parts to help repair another car (possibly an even R).