delticdave

Are we too old to own an R?

As per the title, SWMBO  & I are senior citizens, she has had her R estate for 2 years & I've just bought a s/hand 

5 door hatch for myself. 

Are there any other couples on here with a Golf R each (any age, car or owner...)  & are we crazy to own ( & enjoy...) our cars?

FWIW, I still own a sensible Skoda Superb, 'cos there are times / places  when a silver barge is the more suitable choice.

DC 

I nearly got the Superb 4x4 280 estate... really nice cars but I thought I would lose too much money on it. 

You can own what ever car you want. Once saw an OAP with a 3 door Astra VXR... legend 

For me at 64, it’s a sensible family hatchback, with ‘Driving Miss Daisy’ mode (Eco) for when my wife is in the car. The fact that it’s faster than my old Cayman S and GT86 Cosworth, is neither here nor there. Makes a hell of a track day toy as well.

As a fresh faced youngster of a mere 53 years with a glowing complexion and firm buttocks, I admire the older members of the forum for their youthful approach to car ownership. Only yesterday I recommended an 'R' to a 'senior' Gentleman I know who is looking to part with his GT86, his 'stiffening' frame and audible joint creaks have driven him to consider selling. Seriously, why would you be too old ? the 'R' is a superb allrounder. Stage 2 next @delticdave

I do not think age really comes in to it, it's more about ability, and having a car that you are happy with.

if anything, I would say, you can be too young or inexperienced.

we are both on the happy side of 50 and I am currently planning for retirement, however we both like nice cars.

we currently have over 500bhp of cars sitting on our drives, with my wife due to change hers that might end up with over 600bhp of cars on drive.

its easy to go up in power but a 'mare to go down lol.

Just don’t start wearing driving gloves or a trilby when driving it 😀

i’m still in my thirties in my head. (thirty odd plus a quarter of a century in reality)

Car and bike are above 450 bhp together.

You'll never be too old to own or drive an R.

I pulled onto the M25 one day, not long after taking delivery of my R and 200 yards in front was another R.  So I sped up a little and pulled along side this other R to see that it was an elderly lady driving it.  I estimate she was in her 70's.  I'll be honest I was a little surprised at first, thinking the salesperson had pulled a fast one on the lady, but then thought good for her.  If she likes a nippy little motor to get round, then carry on!

As said, the R is a very good all-rounder. From Boy Racers, family wagons, mid-life crisis to people of leisure.  It suits all.

As for me I am 56 going on 57 and now planning my retirement - However, my Dad was a boy racer all his life and that has passed down to me via the blood line - I have always always have had hot hatches or fast beasts and the R is not going to be the last.

Out of interest the last car my Dad owned before he passed away last year (he was 78) was the V6 Insignia VXR, and he bought that under the mobility scheme 😁

9 hours ago, BobbyT said:

I nearly got the Superb 4x4 280 estate... really nice cars but I thought I would lose too much money on it. 

You can own what ever car you want. Once saw an OAP with a 3 door Astra VXR... legend 

Thanks for your thoughts & encouragement.

The 280 Superb was considered as a replacement for my Superb 2, but it's just too big for my garage. 

DC

9 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

We are both "seniors" and currently own a Golf R and a disguised Mk5 Golf GTI (heavily disguised, most people think it is a Skoda Octavia vRS), does that count ?

The Octy nearly counts....

SWMBO replaced her remapped facelift vRS with the R estate, & both cars are quick but docile. The 4-motion does help when trying to 

"make good progress", but the Octy (in Race Blue) was a great car.

DC 

5 hours ago, mike-p said:

For me at 64, it’s a sensible family hatchback, with ‘Driving Miss Daisy’ mode (Eco) for when my wife is in the car. The fact that it’s faster than my old Cayman S and GT86 Cosworth, is neither here nor there. Makes a hell of a track day toy as well.

I think that it's almost sensible, (the hatchback boot is a bit small) & it took a while for me to realize that if I kept the Superb I wouldn't

need another sensible car. But, since it replaced my EOS, it's proven to be more sensible than I thought.......

Maybe I was having a "Senior Moment"?

As for driving slowly with 'er indoors on board, 'tis not necessary, 'cos she's been known to "press on" when she's in the mood.

DC