TuftyR

Why does GTI get all the glory?

I love Golf GTI! I had a MK2 big bumper back in the day when they were hot and a MK4 when they were not!

I would have had a 40th Anniversary/Clubsport but not when the R was less to buy with more power and AWD!! But I find myself seeing the R as the lesser attention model with special editions of the GTI being made or rumoured such as CS and TCR!

Why no fuss with the R? Oh yeah that ole R400 model! Not!

IMO the GTI gets the better trim with tartan seats and more body kit but the R gets power and traction but left in the shadows! Thoughts please?

Heritage. Also, non-car folks even know what GTI signifies. The Rs are often viewed as not as 'pure' and more the choice of the criminal wanting to make a quick getaway than a gentleman wanting to take on some B-roads on a Sunday afternoon. 

Yeah GTI IS the 'hot hatch' brand. The R brand has always been more of top of the range car, a little left field in the past.

I guess the R heritage starts with the Golf Rallye then the VR6 which then evolved into the R32. It's more a halo product for VW, high power with all the bells and whistles thrown at it. There will still be a place for the R brand in VW as they don't want to use GTI on every product line and dilute it.

The R in the Mk7 has sold itself, it's been so good. Great chassis, fantastic grip levels and a feeling of being easy to drive at high speed. It could be leased at a great price that it's become very common unlike other 'R' Golfs over the years. For some reason this has made people think less of the R, which they shouldn't as it really punches well above its weight and is one of the best high performance hatch backs around at the moment. It will be a future classic and we'll look back in ten years or so and realise what a good car it was. 

There won't be too many more like it, I guess it could be last true drivers car as all the new 'self drive' tech gets pushed upon us. Ten/fifteen years down the line, when your car drives you to work and back..... you may well wish you kept your R. Who knows, maybe they will hold their value better then too. :D

I think once you get more R branded cars across the VW range in the next year or so it should take off a little more as a brand.....lets hope the tech doesn't ruin them. 

After all is said and done though, it's not GTI badge.... 

Sorry ramble over 

Great replies thank you! Am of an age that loves the heritage hence GTI and 911 my lotto car! But the R is the most awesome car I have ever driven! Pootling along on the commute I forget what it is then I boot it and whoooa! Real world all weather all year round you can not beat it for real money! I would hate to be in a GTI then watch a R pull up at the lights on a damp day! I would regret spending more on less! So glad I got my R! I only just popped my launch cherry after 18k miles but did three on the bounce and one the next day! Like a fairground ride! That’s enough though my car is a keeper and don’t wanna wear her out! Lol!

Like it has been said the 7/7.5 will be the last of the breed as mk8 will no doubt have some leccy in it!

Cheers guys may catch you at Inters :-) 

I personally thought they should have retained the Rallye title rather than switch to R, probably didnt help that we had no mk3 4 wheel drive fast Golf. The Gti has the heritage but again I dont think VW push the heritage off their brands enough, Wolfsberg edition models G60 edition 1 etc appeal more to me than Clubsport or TCR IMO.

Now Iam not hating on the GTI, I get the clubsportt s, limited run but some of the models are a waste of effort or lack of any vision, when you see what the modding world can do with the R for not a lot of cash it makes you wonder why tge R400 was not rollled out as a limited production run like the S rather than this TC.R model.

I truely believe that these Rs will be the last of what you could call driving cars...electric and tech will take over maybe not fuly for the mk8 but its coming

Glad I am keeping mine.

I drove my sisters mk7 gti at the weekend, no way am i trading the R for one. Its just a 220 non pp model but its tramlining, spinning the wheels meant it was all over the place. Problem is I now have to stick with 4wd cars and most likely R's

the hype is created mainly by the media who drive the car for a little while and declare it iconic, probably bowing to historic rhetoric, while the rest of us who own an r for a substantial period of time can live without tartin seats and fancy trim and instead enjoying pulling away from damp Junctions and being able to overtake without worrying about spending 5 seconds wheel spinning and tram lining and the fact that for very little extra outlay can enjoy a car that's simply faster in every situation

all in my humble opinion of course lol but this is the first vw I have owned and I never considered the gti having enjoyed the 205 gti over the mk2 and a 2.5 focus st over the equivalent gti at the time, I choose them simply because I felt they were the more enjoyable cars to drive

My Octavia is effectively a Mk5  GTI in a wagon body, and while it is a nice car and I like it a lot, there is just no comparison with the traction my R has, particularly on wet roads.   It is so much more reassuring to know that when I need to accelerate from a stop onto a main road I can just put my foot down and go, without worrying about how much wheelspin I am going to get this time (and how much I will need to modulate the throttle until we hook-up).  And yes, the Octy has good tyres (MPS4 with 90% tread).

I can't see me ever going back to any FWD car with much power at all.

Marketing.

Branding.

This is an R forum so naturally there's going to be much emotion for the R, however VW group as a whole look at different things.

The R is a halo model and really there shouldn't be special editions to water the regular R's down and making the range too complicated for a range topper. VW are looking at expanding the R range again like they did a few years ago and they'll be the high performance range toppers across the line up, but they're not dedicated hot hatches, just flagship models.

The GTI is a different kettle of fish, it's the car VW built a lot of their image on and an easy one to slot special editions into the range, they've always done it on the continent, it's just a lot of them didn't make it to the UK.

The power will always be via FWD in a GTI (unless hybrids dictate otherwise), it'll always be more about a balanced hot hatch rather than a full on Megane RS type car and most importantly is it will likely always be a hatchback rather than a saloon or estate (although there have been aberrations over the years such a the Jetta GTI and Golf TDI badged as a GTI, and VW marketing will just follow where they think the sales will come from). 

So there will be plenty of elbow room to give special editions just slightly less power than the R flagship but with FWD and the limitations/challenges that go with it (anyone who has driven a PP GTI properly will know the VAQ diff takes away a lot of the traction issues aside from initial lift off) to appeal to a different market to the R. The parts bin is huge so it's easy to borrow the R/Cupra engine & brakes for a GTI special without incurring masses of extra cost in development, just a few unique bits of trim.

It's just how VW globally want to brand the GTI and R.

On 5/13/2018 at 03:05, gregozedobe said:

My Octavia is effectively a Mk5  GTI in a wagon body, and while it is a nice car and I like it a lot, there is just no comparison with the traction my R has, particularly on wet roads.   It is so much more reassuring to know that when I need to accelerate from a stop onto a main road I can just put my foot down and go, without worrying about how much wheelspin I am going to get this time (and how much I will need to modulate the throttle until we hook-up).  And yes, the Octy has good tyres (MPS4 with 90% tread).

I can't see me ever going back to any FWD car with much power at all.

We have owned two Octy 2 vRS's, an '07 Mk2 (= Mk 5 GTi) & an '11 Mk2 Facelift, (= M6 6 GTi), both remapped, 257 ps & 261 ps, & we would totally agree with your comments!

Since then, we bought a 2.0 TSi EOS + the 2.0 TSi Superb, same problem as before, fast starts always need extra care.

Now that we have an R each as daily drivers I have to remember that when I'm using the Superb, ('cos it's quiet, relaxing & spacious) I

must treat it gently....until it's moving when I can un-lease the mighty 252ps....... 

DC 

Having come from a mk7 gti  PP remapped to revo stage 1 to my R i can only agree with the comments above, apart from summer & dry would always need to feather the throttle to get the Power down, after just a few days the difference is amazing, and contrary to motor journo reviews, the R does not feel any heavier or less agile than the GTI 

Power is nothing without control. Having said that going to replace our leased 208gti sport with a cheaply leased manual Leon cupra...bit of a laugh. Still have my stage 2 dsg r though. 

Don't forget that along with all the above, the GTi is more attainable to most.  The lower price (perceived or otherwise) both new and secondhand, also means it'll shift more units.

The R is more there as mentioned as a Halo, and to mop up anyone with the spare money before they more to Audi.

As has already been said it's a heritage thing, the continuation of the tartan trim and red highlights theme go right back to 1976 and the MK1, when I sit my sons 7.5 it's like yesteryear, it puts a smile on my face like the Mk1 I had did 35 years ago.