NIGolfR

1st Launch Control, made me feel sick

So, 1,080 miles in and after following VW’s recommended running in cycle, I decided to give launch control a go on this sunny Sunday afternoon.

The sounds as you build revs just before dropping your left foot off the brake are addictive. The acceleration that follows made me feel a little queasy! I wasn’t expecting that. It was immense fun however.

Anyone else recall their first launch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, 1,080 miles in and after following VW’s recommended running in cycle, I decided to give launch control a go on this sunny Sunday afternoon.

The sounds as you build revs just before dropping your left foot off the brake are addictive. The acceleration that follows made me feel a little queasy! I wasn’t expecting that. It was immense fun however.

Anyone else recall their first launch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I felt exactly the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Haven’t tried it in the R yet but did quite a few in My previous Macan Turbo which was quite brutal. Didn’t mind in the Macan as it wasn’t a keeper like the R but wicked fun all the same 😳😁

Did my only launch so far with my other half in the car, she had a mild panic attack and made me pull over.

It does make your head spin a bit, like being launched on a roller coaster.

I do have JB1 fitted mind.

Great fun launching it, especially going downhill. Only launched it in the wet once, didn't go so well. Fronts spun up, then the rears spun up and the car seemed to get confused and bogged down. That was a 4k rpm launch so will try it at 2.5k and 3.2k rpm when the rain comes again. 

My first launch made me go dizzy, but every one since hasn't.

I keep saying this but will say it again. Launching from 3200rpm will give a much more immediate launch than bouncing it off of the torque limiter at 4k rpm. When resting on the torque limiter it launches slower, imagine the car is softening the shock through the transmission.

8 hours ago, NinkyNonk said:

I keep saying this but will say it again. Launching from 3200rpm will give a much more immediate launch than bouncing it off of the torque limiter at 4k rpm. When resting on the torque limiter it launches slower, imagine the car is softening the shock through the transmission.

Have you timed the difference between the two launch RPMs (eg for 0 - 60 mph) ?

5 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

Have you timed the difference between the two launch RPMs (eg for 0 - 60 mph) ?

Nope, but there's definitely a noticeable pause when launching from 4000rpm

19 hours ago, 42ac said:

Did my only launch so far with my other half in the car, she had a mild panic attack and made me pull over.

It does make your head spin a bit, like being launched on a roller coaster.

I do have JB1 fitted mind.

No JB1 or similar for me, but my other half nearly blacked out, and urged me to stop.  Immediately.

1 hour ago, andrewparker said:

I've not done it yet, what's the procedure?

Press the ESP button for either a short press or a long one to turn off the traction control.

Place your left foot on the brake and your right foot on the accelerator.

Launch Control Active will appear on the dash.

Raise the revs to between 3 and 4 thousand.

Release the brake, floor the accelerator and hang on!

5 hours ago, RH12ONS said:

Press the ESP button for either a short press or a long one to turn off the traction control.

Place your left foot on the brake and your right foot on the accelerator.

Launch Control Active will appear on the dash.

Raise the revs to between 3 and 4 thousand.

Release the brake, floor the accelerator and hang on!

I had an idea that you had to have the engine properly warmed up first (oil, not just coolant), and you also have to select S for the DSG (or Race mode which will give you DSG = S)