Haych

Wrong bumper on Golf R?

Hello all,

So i finally received my factory ordered Golf R yesterday and have been loving every minute of it 😀.

But since yesterday, i thought there was something about the front of my car which looked different but couldn't quite put my finger on it. it finally dawned on me that the front bumper may not be a R bumper but in fact an R-line bumper!

The chrome detailing on the air vent (which looks nice IMO) was one indicator that suggested this difference. Another thing i noticed was the engine used to take quite a while to cool down but i though this was common. Because of the long time it took for the engine bay to cool down, i looked at the air vents and realised that they were fake! i was thinking this was detrimental for the engine and may impede airflow. Another difference was this bumper had a sort of honeycomb effect on grille where else a R bumper had a straight lower centre grille. 

I do believe that i have the wrong bumper on the car, as other 2018 models does seem to have a different R bumper. i couldn't believe this as i have always thought the germans car manufacturers had strict quality control especially a large company like VAG.  

I'm not sure what my position is, in regards to the car and what steps i should take going forwards. I waited since over three months for this car and would be a bummer to not finally enjoy it due to a possible error. What do you guys think of the R/R-line hybrid? 😅

20180519_194421.png

Hello all,
So i finally received my factory ordered Golf R yesterday and have been loving every minute of it .

But since yesterday, i thought there was something about the front of my car which looked different but couldn't quite put my finger on it. it finally dawned on me that the front bumper may not be a R bumper but in fact an R-line bumper!
The chrome detailing on the air vent (which looks nice IMO) was one indicator that suggested this difference. Another thing i noticed was the engine used to take quite a while to cool down but i though this was common. Because of the long time it took for the engine bay to cool down, i looked at the air vents and realised that they were fake! i was thinking this was detrimental for the engine and may impede airflow. Another difference was this bumper had a sort of honeycomb effect on grille where else a R bumper had a straight lower centre grille. 

I do believe that i have the wrong bumper on the car, as other 2018 models does seem to have a different R bumper. i couldn't believe this as i have always thought the germans car manufacturers had strict quality control especially a large company like VAG.  

I'm not sure what my position is, in regards to the car and what steps i should take going forwards. I waited since over three months for this car and would be a bummer to not finally enjoy it due to a possible error. What do you guys think of the R/R-line hybrid? 

20180519_194421.thumb.png.e37b736799be49495365107ac9f1dbe7.png

Looks like the steering wheel is on the wrong side also ... . Sharp car.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2, DP & BCS Exhaust

2 minutes ago, rodacollier said:

Looks like the steering wheel is on the wrong side also ... emoji23.png. Sharp car.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2, DP & BCS Exhaust

Lol 😅

Thanks for the comment, the more i look at the indium grey and silver prets combo,  the more i fall in love with it. The chrome air vents highlights also sets the car off 😁.

Yep. You got an R-Line bumper, not an R bumper. 

You'll need to go back to the dealer and tell them. I'd probably even go as far as refusing the car and getting them to build a new one. Not sure how much damage you'd do by driving it but it would definitely run hotter than it should. The vents are for intercooler and DSG (if you have it). They're essentially being starved of air.

The dealer would just order the correct bumper and paint it and fit it. 

As for if the engine would be struggling due to the lack of air vents - I would think that would only be an issue if driven fast as the standard golf has the same engine even though it’s much less powerful. Worse case the dealer gives you a rental car. It shouldn’t take more than a few days to change the bumper and paint it. 

But I would definitely complain and get some compensation as the PDI missed it and so did the sales people (just shows how useless dealers are!). 

I would be worried that if they got this wrong and fitted a component designed for a differently engineered car, what else have they fitted that is also incorrect that you can't see? - ie a mechanical component? I'd be pushing the factory for a review of the build to ensure you have 100% R. 

To be fair the bumper looks the same, it's just the lower grille and intakes. That should be an easy fix..... I think

Sent from my S9 using Tapatalk

I personally would start the conversation off with wanting to reject the Car and go from there.

this then puts the pressure on them.

Dealers and Manufacturers get away with far too much at times.

if they do end up just replacing the bumper, ensure the paint colour matches 100%, otherwise you will constantly notice it.

i know a few people that had huge problems with dealers matching Estoril Blue II painted bumpers with rest of car.

if this was a factory error, then you will want a full check of the car to ensure nothing else from the R Line Bill of Materials (BoM) ended up being fitted to your car.

obviously include VW UK and Dealer Principle in all communications.

take a hard firm stance to begin with and you have a better chance getting what you want, if not then the dealer will get what they want.

1 hour ago, Gavras said:

I personally would start the conversation off with wanting to reject the Car and go from there.

this then puts the pressure on them.

Dealers and Manufacturers get away with far too much at times.

if they do end up just replacing the bumper, ensure the paint colour matches 100%, otherwise you will constantly notice it.

i know a few people that had huge problems with dealers matching Estoril Blue II painted bumpers with rest of car.

if this was a factory error, then you will want a full check of the car to ensure nothing else from the R Line Bill of Materials (BoM) ended up being fitted to your car.

obviously include VW UK and Dealer Principle in all communications.

take a hard firm stance to begin with and you have a better chance getting what you want, if not then the dealer will get what they want.

This. 

19 minutes ago, Jon-Paul said:

Surely this is the result of damage in transit and it hasn't left the factory like this. I can't see the latter happening. Some bugger knows something about it. 

Yes, I was thinking along those lines too. Maybe check for wear on the screws / bolts on the front slam panel that might indicate that the bumper had been re-fitted since it left the factory?