Sign in to follow this  
smld

New member checking in

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum, having ordered my first Golf R yesterday (see my post in the delivery thread). I'm coming from the 140PS version of the 1.4 TSI GT, so it's going to be a huge step up in terms of performance.

Apparently, I'll be waiting at least six months (!) for the car. I'll be driving around in an old Honda CR-V (affectionately known as The Tractor) until then. Wish me luck...

On 26/05/2018 at 16:31, smld said:

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum, having ordered my first Golf R yesterday (see my post in the delivery thread). I'm coming from the 140PS version of the 1.4 TSI GT, so it's going to be a huge step up in terms of performance. Apparently, I'll be waiting at least six months (!) for the car. I'll be driving around in an old Honda CR-V (affectionately known as The Tractor) until then. Wish me luck...

6 months? Wow. Wait time a year ago was about 12 weeks. What happened? Did you order any exotic extras? Lol.

On 26/05/2018 at 16:31, smld said:

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum, having ordered my first Golf R yesterday (see my post in the delivery thread). I'm coming from the 140PS version of the 1.4 TSI GT, so it's going to be a huge step up in terms of performance.

Apparently, I'll be waiting at least six months (!) for the car. I'll be driving around in an old Honda CR-V (affectionately known as The Tractor) until then. Wish me luck...

When I ordered my 6R VW had a rule that if they couldn't deliver within 12 weeks they had to supply a courtesy car for the period until your new one turned up.

Check with them!! They always 'forget' to mention it but ask them.

42 minutes ago, belfast col said:

When I ordered my 6R VW had a rule that if they couldn't deliver within 12 weeks they had to supply a courtesy car for the period until your new one turned up.

Check with them!! They always 'forget' to mention it but ask them.

Yes, something similar with the 7R.    I think if waiting over a certain period (it was 6 months) you’re entitled to a VW loaner car.  My 7R took 8 months to arrive and after 6 months I qualified for a loaner car and I got a VW loaner (Audi A3) for the last month as I sold my mk6.  

32 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Yes, something similar with the 7R.    I think if waiting over a certain period (it was 6 months) you’re entitled to a VW loaner car.  My 7R took 8 months to arrive and after 6 months I qualified for a loaner car and I got a VW loaner (Audi A3) for the last month as I sold my mk6.  

I'm surprised after driving a A3 you didn't cancel the R!

*Col awaits the abuse*

4 minutes ago, belfast col said:

I'm surprised after driving a A3 you didn't cancel the R!

*Col awaits the abuse*

Come out from behind the sofa Col, I’ll be gentle.

I hated it.  A3 diesel.  Cramped cabin, horrible pop up nav screen, bland pedestrian looks.  Just a few lasting memories.  🤮

And then I got in the R.  😍

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Come out from behind the sofa Col, I’ll be gentle.

I hated it.  A3 diesel.  Cramped cabin, horrible pop up nav screen, bland pedestrian looks.  Just a few lasting memories.  🤮

And then I got in the R.  1f60d.png

I used to like you....

All joking aside the pop up nav is far better positioned IMHO. Don't want to be looking and the gear stick to see where I'm going!!...

5 hours ago, belfast col said:

I used to like you....

All joking aside the pop up nav is far better positioned IMHO. Don't want to be looking and the gear stick to see where I'm going!!...

I’ve never liked you....

I don’t disagree on the positioning but the pop up nav looks messy, another dust trap with those crevices and somehow I’ve managed to drive a car with a centre console screen for a billion years without crashing.  😜 😁

19 hours ago, PhilC22 said:

6 months? Wow. Wait time a year ago was about 12 weeks. What happened? Did you order any exotic extras? Lol.

It's to do with the WLTP changes, factory ceasing production for a while, etc. When I first contacted them, they quoted 12-16 weeks. This increased to 19 weeks when I spoke to them again a day later. And when I finally placed the order a week after that, the lead time had jumped to 27 weeks.

I went for the 5dr DSG hatch. Indium grey with the silver Pretorias. DCC, climate windscreen, gloss black mirrors. Nothing too exotic..?