Hi guys,

I got my manual 64 plate R the end of March. The past few days I've notice a grinding feeling when pushing the clutch in. Once it's fully pressed, I can hear a faint grinding sound and also hear it when accelerating. From some searching it looks like the clutch is the weakpoint of the manuals and judging from my findings it may be an issue with the throwout bearing.

Admittedly, I have very little knowledge when it comes to the clutch/transmission. If anyone has had a similar issue would be happy for any information.

To add, the car has 34k miles. I have a 2 year warranty so, I'm hoping it will be covered. Going to a garage on Tuesday to be looked at.

Thanks!

Patrick

Update!

Garage advised this morning that it is the bearing but they want to replace the whole clutch kit.

Been quoted almost £1700 for the job.. costs have been submitted to my warranty provider for approval, fingers crossed!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Warranty company don't want to cover any of it because the car didn't break down due to the fault. They confirmed there's some wear and as such recommend repairs. Gotta front up £540 now for the new bearing.

So now I think I'll be looking at Sachs Organic kit later down the line.

15 hours ago, Patrick said:

Warranty company don't want to cover any of it because the car didn't break down due to the fault. They confirmed there's some wear and as such recommend repairs. Gotta front up £540 now for the new bearing.

So now I think I'll be looking at Sachs Organic kit later down the line.

Im guessing the £540 is to pay the garage for already removing the gearbox then fitting a new bearing & re-fitting the box? if i was you i would replace the clutch now at the same time otherwise you will have to pay the labour charges again when you fit the uprated clutch,can you buy the uprated clutch now & ask the garage to fit it? There is a guy on the facebook  golf r forum who's company can supply & fit a uprated clutch kit for £950 all inclusive.

4 hours ago, Mike R said:

Im guessing the £540 is to pay the garage for already removing the gearbox then fitting a new bearing & re-fitting the box? if i was you i would replace the clutch now at the same time otherwise you will have to pay the labour charges again when you fit the uprated clutch,can you buy the uprated clutch now & ask the garage to fit it? There is a guy on the facebook  golf r forum who's company can supply & fit a uprated clutch kit for £950 all inclusive.

Yes exactly that. Unfortunately, I've just paid out for a holiday early next year so funds are a bit tight, D'oh! Also, I think the garage are getting a little sick of my car handing around taking up space. They already said they'd waive the charge for storing the car so I don't want to push my luck.

I'll be looking at doing the clutch by this time next year (most likely sooner) and just have to grin and bear that labour cost again.

At this point I just want the car back, walking is such a chore 🙃

I had another read through the independent mechanic's report and noticed that they said the clutch wasn't OEM which peeked my interest. I dropped by the garage and took some pictures and to my astonishment the plate is actually a Sachs one so, it's clearly been done once already.

I understand that it's good practice to change everything at once but, since I'm not doing that for now, wondered if someone a little more clued up on these things could take a guess at how old it is? Bearing in mind the car has done 34k miles.

No paperwork to say it's been done.453226a03221232d4f7808ae34b74e6d.jpg0532d5ced2f88efc46ee31073fd1034b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, MassMassa said:

Is that just the OEM Sachs one, not necessarily an uprated Sachs clutch? Pretty sure by old Golf 5 had an OEM Sachs clutch.

Hmm you might be right. Been doing some searching but can't seem to find anything. The report said not OEM so that threw me.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the OEM parts or a part number?

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

Hmm you might be right. Been doing some searching but can't seem to find anything. The report said not OEM so that threw me.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the OEM parts or a part number?

That’s strange, it’s different to my OEM clutch, mine has Sachs written on the pressure plate but not the disk. 

4B9AF64E-05F5-4802-A1F3-DF849F811084.jpeg

363D7C82-99B4-488C-89F0-52EB113B6BAD.jpeg

Those flipping warranty companies are not worth the paper they are written on. My mums mk6 they wouldn't pay out for a DSG box 5k, they said it was wear and tear after 34k miles. To say the least we got rid of it.

2 hours ago, Kirk_88 said:

That’s strange, it’s different to my OEM clutch, mine has Sachs written on the pressure plate but not the disk. 

4B9AF64E-05F5-4802-A1F3-DF849F811084.jpeg

363D7C82-99B4-488C-89F0-52EB113B6BAD.jpeg

What year is your car? Possible that it's the same just re-branded?