GGSL

Mk7.5 Now Auto only

Looks like the manual has now been taken off the configurator on VW's site for the R, still there for the GTI. Wonder if they plan on making the Mk8 R automatic only? I'd certainly jump ship.

1 minute ago, GGSL said:

Looks like the manual has now been taken off the configurator on VW's site for the R, still there for the GTI. Wonder if they plan on making the Mk8 R automatic only? I'd certainly jump ship.

It's not Automatic 🙄 - DSG is a dual clutch manual gearbox.

I couldn’t factory order a Mk7.5 manual when I placed my order last month. Got one of the remaining few manuals in the UK.

I’m not quite ready to lose the clutch pedal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to think only lazy people would want an auto (or DSG). That manual was all about the driving experience etc. 

Now I think I was an idiot for thinking that. If you lived in Germany next to an Autobahn and never had traffic then great. Or take you car to the track everyday. Then get a manual. Sure. 

But thats not reality. I spend 99% of my driving time in traffic jams. The fact I don’t have to change gear and press the clutch is a god send. It makes driving the car more enjoyable. 

In the the real world auto or DSG are what everyone should get. Maybe if you have more than one car you could go for manual as a second car but otherwise it’s just stupid to get one. 

I think I read somewhere that VW wasn't selling manual 'boxes for Rs because of testing to do with the new fuel economy testing standard, but I might be wrong.

I was a die-hard manual fan for 45 years, and only ever bought cars with manual gearboxes , then I bought a Golf R with DSG (only because VW Oz wouldn't sell me an R wagon with a manual 'box). 

It took a few months for me to get used to the way the DQ381 DSG works, but now I would happily pay the extra to get a DSG.  I still have 2 other vehicles with manual gearboxes (and a whole lot of other manual controls besides) so I do get to shift for myself, but the DSG really does make driving in traffic much easier, and I can still select gears manually with the DSG when I feel the need.

Told by my dealer that due to WLTP testing bottlenecks the manual has been removed from sale. Various other vw models are closed for orders too. I'd imagine, once the texting situation has cleared up, models that do actually sell in reasonable numbers will get tested, certified and be back on sale.

With autonomus driving being pushed you won't be able to get a manual in the next five or ten years. Can't wait...... 💩

4 hours ago, dannykay1710 said:

I couldn’t factory order a Mk7.5 manual when I placed my order last month. Got one of the remaining few manuals in the UK.

I’m not quite ready to lose the clutch pedal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good on ya. It's unthinkable to me to have a hot hatch without a manual.

Would have though that all of the enthusiast cars keep it as an option, at least until internal combustion is phased out. Disappointing to see VW are dropping it from the R.

1 hour ago, BobbyT said:

With autonomus driving being pushed you won't be able to get a manual in the next five or ten years. Can't wait...... 1f4a9.png

This is becoming a bit like a witch hunt (Lol) with other comments in this thread like "you would have to be stupid to buy a manual".

It seems that some DSG converts (evangelists?) are not content with just stating their preference, but seem compelled to make some disparaging remark about people who prefer manual cars. Very strange. Not just in this thread, but many tedious "manual vs DSG" threads over the last year or so.

When you can easily buy the car/gearbox combination you want, why would you want to see an option eliminated that someone else might prefer? You even make it sound like autonomous driving is a good thing, and implicitly associate DSG with it. And there was me thinking that car enthusiasts like to actually drive the car, rather than just accept a future in which they become some sort of robotic passenger.

Sadly, you may well be right about the manual gearbox's days being numbered, but I think they will be around for quite a few years yet. In ordinary cars, of course, but also in Porsches and BMW M cars. Ok, maybe not in VW and Audi performance cars, but since when did VAG have a monopoly on wisdom? Check out Chris Harris's 2017 TG review of the M2 manual version on YouTube, in which he turns the debate on its head..."Yes, you can have the paddle shift if you want but, trust me, you don't". Not difficult to find similar reviews for the R too .. and the new Megane RS.

As for classification, some DSG owners appear to be quite touchy about their beloved toy being referred to as an automatic (or even a semi automatic) even though this is how most of the world refers to them. A car without a clutch pedal, right? Just try searching on Autotrader or Motors for Golf R DSGs. Under 'transmission', the filter option you will have to select is "Automatic" (or "semi automatic") as you won't find an option that says "Dual clutch manual" or such like. Anyway, we can argue semantics till we are blue in the face; what matters is the registration (V5) details.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1195224

I haven't owned a DSG car for a while, but did manage to find a copy of my V5 from when I owned a Golf GTI DSG.

Under "model" it says "VW Golf GTI Auto", which seems pretty conclusive.

This bit isn't academic because if you pass your driving test in a (conventional) automatic car you are not licensed to drive a manual. However, if you have a automatic (only) licence you are allowed to drive a 'semi auto', so this logically puts them into the same group as far as insurance etc is concerned.

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/automatic-licence-to-manual.html

Has anyone taken their test in a DSG or know for sure what the licence would then cover you to drive? That would be an interesting one.