Whether it does or not the instructions for running it in are in the manual.  It applies over the first 1500Km (932 miles).  Don't exceed 2/3 maximum revs and don't floor it for first 1000Km and gradually can increase after that up to 1500Km then you can play.

Whether it does or not the instructions for running it in are in the manual.  It applies over the first 1500Km (932 miles).  Don't exceed 2/3 maximum revs and don't floor it for first 1000Km and gradually can increase after that up to 1500Km then you can play.

Does anyone actually follow that these day though, this is ancient advice !!

11 minutes ago, Dan_7R said:

Mine was run round the dial as soon as the oil reached temperature (about 5 miles IIRC) and then given several hours of hard driving up and down the gears.  In nearly 20k miles and two track days it hasn't burnt a drop of oil or had any mechanical issues.

Litteraly drove mine like a Rally car after about 100 miles from new when the temperature was right. No issues will be collecting my Mk 7.5 in 3wks and will be doing the same. Weather it's right or wrong i don't know. Didn't burn any oil either

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Dan_7R said:

Yes of course I follow it, because it is what the manufacturer (who I assume knows about his product) has told me to do. It isn't ancient advice as it's in my manual, published in November 2017, so 7 months old advice, and correct at the time that my car was built.  Do you consider other things in the manual to be ancient advice?

I've always given my cars a steady early life and then put them to work after the first oil change which I've done religiously at circa 1.000 miles. It's something I've done for years, old school maybe but old habits.......

It's an interesting debate; follow the manufacturer's advice, or follow what others (non-manufacturers) have gained in experience. I am typically risk averse, so have in the past tended to err on the side of 'follow the book'. I, like most of you I'm sure, have had many cars / bikes over the years and those that you have not look to these forums for advice, that's why we're here, right?

Personally, the one common piece of advice I have received, from dealers that enjoy their performance vehicles / sponsor teams / have tack events etc. is that you should "have at at it, once is warned up". 

The days of swarf in the sump are long gone, unless there is something properly wrong in which case, tip toeing around will just hide any potential issues, or worse still, hide design problems that need fixing.  (Side comment: we will always have design / service problems - noting the various Haldex filter threads: clearly something that VW need to address as a std service item recognising they had this as a seal oil unit to be forgotten bar oil change). 

Thankfully, we know precision engineering has been here for sometime; if you want to play it safe, that's fine - and I'm sure none of us would advise otherwise but, if you don't feel comfortable about it, follow the book!!

Personally, I did follow the book for many years but equally, of recent years, I've canned cars / bike shortly after receiving them and have never seen any positive / negative difference, other than enjoying my vehicles. In the grand scheme of things, its not long.

We all paid *A LOT* of money for a high performance vehicle; enjoy it as soon as you own it and you are comfortable with doing so. It was engineered that way, but if you're worried about warranty etc follow the book - there is no get of jail ticket that says it's ok - I wish ;).

BTW.. superb forum - big thumbs up to all the members!!!

There are umpteen threads on numerous car forums about running in.

pretty much all agree that following exactly the manufacturers guidelines is not best way of running a car in.

variation in driving is what it's all about, treating the engine, the running gear etc sensibly is what counts, getting things up to temp.

With a Golf R DSG, in theory you cannot do anything but stick to guidelines as even at 70mph it's not over revs.

one of the other important bits is bedding everything in, that does work better with hot engines and varying loads.

however the most important thing to 'run in', is the driver,  as far too many new owners of cars smeg them within the first 1000 due to not knowing the car.

Saying all that mine was on a Rolling Road at 600 miles on the clock and everything still feels great :)

I didn't go above 4k for the first 300/400 miles. I then just drove it as normal, if the NSX gets 150 miles then off to the track I'm happy that I did double that :D