Sign in to follow this  
Ismet_U

R Front Number plate delete (UK)

Thinking about doing a front plate delete as the front the Rs are just naughty.

How does the front bumper look with the holes still there and where can I buy plugs for those holes.

Also if anyone has done a front plate delete, have the police even cared? (I dont really want to have my plate on my dash aswell)

Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks.

There was a knob around here that did similar, top tip if doing something like that, ensure you have insurance.

it looks incredibly stupid seeing cars driving around with a Reg plate sting on front dash.

the police do care and will nick you.

to the OP, there is no such thing as a front plate delete.

The front plates are not 'just naughty' it's the bloody law and a legal requirement.

R drivers end up with bad reps as it is, then you read posts like these...

Don't do it, as mentioned above, you just end up looking like a dick. 

Spoke to my best mate last night who works for Thames Valley Police, and he said

Driving with no front number plate is usually dealt with a Fixed Penalty Notice of £100 for first time caught.

But can be "a fine not exceeding level three on the standard scale" which is UP TO £1000 (especially if you have been caught before).

Is it really worth it ?

I hate the look of a big plate sitting on a dashboard and imho that looks a lot worse than where it should be. I did indeed get the front bumper filled and painted and now have a legal front plate but stick on type and it looks an awful lot better. The plate covers all legal requirements and isn’t cheap to do but it does improve the look

d90c5fcdb221158cb2cbbb43af94733a.heic

Seems a lot of the Audi lads go for an offset sticker on the left side of the bumper which looks even worse than the plate sitting on the dash in my opinion.

You can lose the plastic surround for the plate and stick it to the bumper in the original location. Something I've been meaning to do for 4 years and haven't got it done yet :P

If you have a show car it's 100% recommended - the R's front end looks so good without a plate.

If you're OK with a £100 fine, just do it.

Not sure you should be called a 'knob' though... 🙄

@Gavras, if you know about the VW scene, the majority don't run a plate anyway, R or not. So the reputation is there regardless. Show life innit.

On 12/06/2018 at 07:13, Gavras said:

the police do care and will nick you.

Usually they don't and no they won't 'nick you'. You run the risk of getting pulled over and handed a £100 fine, but definitely not arrested. 

I agree with your sentiments of having insurance though, as my uncle always says ' If you're going to break the law, only do 1 illegal thing at a time', IE Don't drive a ca full of drugs and guns if it's not 100% road legal.

Last year, my front number plate fell off and I ran it over which bent it so it wouldn't go back on the car. I drove around without a plate for about 10 days until a new one arrived. In that time I saw plenty of Police who were on foot and driving and nobody said or did anything about it except some guy in a car park who thought he was being helpful by letting me know.

Personally think plate in the window looks crap, either run a plate or don't, don't stick it in the window. 

@Gavras alright calm down there, I just really appreciate the front end of my car and don’t like big letters ruining it. And don’t act like you’re always a law abiding citizen, we know what you get up to mate.

but in all seriousness, I was wondering how people’s front end looked like without that big plastic number plate holder, was thinking about getting a smaller plate and putting it else where on the front, so I can see more of the front end. 

8 minutes ago, Ismet_U said:

@Gavras alright calm down there, I just really appreciate the front end of my car and don’t like big letters ruining it. And don’t act like you’re always a law abiding citizen, we know what you get up to mate.

but in all seriousness, I was wondering how people’s front end looked like without that big plastic number plate holder, was thinking about getting a smaller plate and putting it else where on the front, so I can see more of the front end. 

Check out my right hand mans' R on Instagram @jacob7r

Fully deleted front plate. Carbon bits everywhere, looks smart.

Check me out whilst you're there... @guy7r

1 hour ago, Ismet_U said:

Huge difference a post saying what's a better smaller plate versus I want to remove my front number plate.

if you want to try different front plates, get some decent photos of front end and then use photoshop with different designs.

review each, chose the one you like.

Think plod will soon start taking a dimmer view of this, as potentially trying to avoid average speed cameras etc.

Also think you look like a knob when you remove plate so car looks better, then balance it on the dash 

3 minutes ago, Shug said:

Think plod will soon start taking a dimmer view of this, as potentially trying to avoid average speed cameras etc.

Also think you look like a knob when you remove plate so car looks better, then balance it on the dash 

FYI if you don't run a front plate, Sainsbury's Sutton can't see how long you've been parked for cos the ANPR is front facing on entry. 😂