Raffe

MY Golf R Replacement - TTRS Content Pg3

Sold my R back in April and turned it into a new Ibiza FR for the wife and wanted a convertible 'something' for the weekend.

Choices were another S2000 (sold last one 2015), Boxster S, Z4, TT Roadster.

Looked at examples of each and the TT felt like it ticked more boxes and 'could' be closer to the R in terms of performance. As such I picked up an '09 TTS Roadster completely standard with an impeccable Audi service history and great condition. Really wanted a manual but the car was too good to pass up.

It has now had a few mods and service items;

Oil & DSG Service by AKS

Rev G DV

Cam Follower

Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Dip Stick (Audi one falls apart)

Facelift Black Edition Grille

CTS Intake

Cobra CBE (Modded to fit Roadster by AKS)

Revo Stage 1

Its no where near as quick as my R was, and the handling is not close either but.....it's 100% more fun and with the great weather we have had for the last few months its been a joy to take out at the weekends. The addition of the mods has bought it alive and I'm now looking forward to Stage 2+ and possibly even the addition of a TTE420.

Couple of pics;

IMG_6194.thumb.jpg.c8bf2a2be2c0740d1115b4c2dd400353.jpgIMG_6195.thumb.jpg.a70a2496db64f9b485a2c67760e143bc.jpgIMG_6190.thumb.jpg.996dff84e5d3b9c9586068923e4062c4.jpgIMG_6196.thumb.jpg.bca1e590705330b7a0cfcf54fda42a46.jpg

Thanks all, yes really pleased :) 

Don't get me wrong I loved my R and not knocking it, but for me it wasn't a weekend use only type of car and the three door didn't work for the two dogs (wife wanted them on back seat not in boot).

Yeh I am probably being unfair and that was a bit of an excessive description of the difference in performance. I think the figures are around 310-320 for the Revo 1 on the TTS and my R was quoted at 360-370 at stage 1 by Revo.

So you have a 50bhp deficit, possibly similar weight with the added bulk of the Roadster over the Coupe, and a bit more lag as the KO4 spools a bit further up the rev range compared to the IS38.

It will invariably be taken to Stage 2+ in the near future which will then give similar bhp figures.

Well after nearly 12 months ownership I have surprised myself and still loving the TTS.  I have have to admit I thought it would be sold after 4-5 months use through the summer but it's become part of the family.

As I approach its first birthday in my ownership, it's now booked in for round two of its maintenance and upgrades. Car will be going to AKS against end of April for the following;

Oil Service
Pollen Filter
Spark Plugs
Cambelt & Water Pump
Haldex Oil & Filter
H&R Monotube Coilovers (leaking front n/s)
H&R Hubcentric 10mm wheel spacers front and rear (can't afford new 19" wheels this year)
Fast Road 4 wheel alignment
Facelift Black Edition lower grilles
Front end respray to remove stone chips.
Full stage 2 correction detail - I will be doing this, bit of a learning curve.....

Would loved to have gone up to Stage 2+ this year and upgraded the wheels to the Ispiri FR6's in a 9.5 x 19" fitment but that will have to wait.

I have to admit I have been toying with upgrading to the TTRS and further to test driving albeit very good, it's not £10k better than my car.

Great to hear you’re still loving it Phil and the upgrades continue. Must really be part of the family. :)  Be sure to post some latest pics up once the list above has been done. And enjoy the paint correction learning curve!   

Well after nearly 12 months ownership I have surprised myself and still loving the TTS.  I have have to admit I thought it would be sold after 4-5 months use through the summer but it's become part of the family.

As I approach its first birthday in my ownership, it's now booked in for round two of its maintenance and upgrades. Car will be going to AKS against end of April for the following;

Oil Service
Pollen Filter
Spark Plugs
Cambelt & Water Pump
Haldex Oil & Filter
H&R Monotube Coilovers (leaking front n/s)
H&R Hubcentric 10mm wheel spacers front and rear (can't afford new 19" wheels this year)
Fast Road 4 wheel alignment
Facelift Black Edition lower grilles
Front end respray to remove stone chips.
Full stage 2 correction detail - I will be doing this, bit of a learning curve.....

Would loved to have gone up to Stage 2+ this year and upgraded the wheels to the Ispiri FR6's in a 9.5 x 19" fitment but that will have to wait.

I have to admit I have been toying with upgrading to the TTRS and further to test driving albeit very good, it's not £10k better than my car.
Sounds like quite an investment in the car there so must be a keeper!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Depends how you view it, my Golf R was depreciating at around £3k pa and I was still spending large amounts of cash modding  - that little lot comes to about £2k and the values are fairly static.

Cheap motoring in comparison for something which is virtually as quick, a lot more fun being a convertible and feeding my need to mess about with a car.

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Great to hear you’re still loving it Phil and the upgrades continue. Must really be part of the family. :)  Be sure to post some latest pics up once the list above has been done. And enjoy the paint correction learning curve!   

I have been reading your detailing guide, and looking forward to getting stuck in.

As the front is going to be resprayed I am going to have a practice on the bonnet before with the DA so if I have any 'oh shit what have I done' moments its not the end of the world and will be sorted anyhow.

Taken loads of stick for the car choice from friends but for something which is only used on weekends its the perfect balance of quality, fun and cost. We still have a lot of cash to spend on the house so this keeps me out of trouble until I can get into a decent Porsche.

I have been reading your detailing guide, and looking forward to getting stuck in.

As the front is going to be resprayed I am going to have a practice on the bonnet before with the DA so if I have any 'oh shit what have I done' moments its not the end of the world and will be sorted anyhow.

Taken loads of stick for the car choice from friends but for something which is only used on weekends its the perfect balance of quality, fun and cost. We still have a lot of cash to spend on the house so this keeps me out of trouble until I can get into a decent Porsche.
You can't really have any bad moments with a DA that's the beauty of them, great idea to have a practice before the respray though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Raffe said:

Just be careful if you ever consider a GT4 Porker as per my post. 

For me I’m still hanging on to my Stage 2 R as I ‘was’ considering an M2 Comp or I do fancy the Cayman R but both on hold as could be another house extension on the cards!

Cars can be so wasteful if not fun. Makes you weep re depreciation.... luckily bought mine 6 months old having a RRP of £38k I saved £11k at 6 months old.

Now I reckon I have lost £4-5k over the 3.5 years

Not bad I suppose