JaseW

Having to do a manual engine restart after start/stop kicks in.

Today I had my third experience of the car telling me to manually restart the engine whilst I have been sat at traffic lights for a period of time. (Can’t say how long as I don’t know, but would say longer than a minute)

Start/stop is enabled so obviously cuts out when it should do at the lights but then I have gone to pull away and nothing.... except the car telling me to start the engine again manually?????

Then because I’m in drive on the dsg I have to put it back to park, press the start button, key in my ghost code, press start again, select drive and drive off.... all except the lights have now changed to red and I have loads of angry drivers beeping their horns at me.

Has only happened on 3 occasions in the past year and I can’t tell what the difference is between when this happens and when it doesn’t to trigger this behaviour.....

only common denominator is that it’s happened whilst at the same set of traffic lights on each occasion..... which can’t be the reason lol.

Anyone else had any experience of this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I had my third experience of the car telling me to manually restart the engine whilst I have been sat at traffic lights for a period of time. (Can’t say how long as I don’t know, but would say longer than a minute)

Start/stop is enabled so obviously cuts out when it should do at the lights but then I have gone to pull away and nothing.... except the car telling me to start the engine again manually?????

Then because I’m in drive on the dsg I have to put it back to park, press the start button, key in my ghost code, press start again, select drive and drive off.... all except the lights have now changed to red and I have loads of angry drivers beeping their horns at me.

Has only happened on 3 occasions in the past year and I can’t tell what the difference is between when this happens and when it doesn’t to trigger this behaviour.....

only common denominator is that it’s happened whilst at the same set of traffic lights on each occasion..... which can’t be the reason lol.

I only had my car a couple of months and done over 2k and this happened last month exactly the same. I have a ghost fitted and wondered if it was that but it really threw me. I’ve tried to re simulate it on drive and it doesn’t happen so I don’t know?

Logic says there is some radio signal effecting the ecu. If it’s at the same place disable stop start before you get to them and see what happens then 

If you’re resting your left hand on the gear selector lever in a DSG, you can inadvertently apply a little pressure, which can be enough for the car to think you’ve moved the selector and hence it then requires a manual restart. Had this happen once, and I knew I’d moved the lever just a touch.

Just a guess, folks.

Another possibility is that the battery voltage has gotten a bit low while the engine was stopped, so the engine needs to be restarted.

But I thought the ECU was supposed to restart automatically in those circumstances.

The fact that it has happened only at the same set of traffic lights and not anywhere else has to be a significant clue.   Is there something you do different there that you don't do anywhere else, or are you stopped longer there than anywhere else ?  Something is definitely going on for it to have happened 3 times at the same place.

I have had this twice and always when it is busy and just as the lights change, but a third time I noticed the immobiliser active come on the screen, so I pressed the accelerator and it started as it should, I also have ghost and thought it may be that but not had it since, I personally think these cars are to clever now, as it is like the music through android auto, it connects 9 out of 10 times but the time it won't it just won't until you park and try again next time, probably just a glitch or a way of keeping us awake,

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, glad I’m not the only one....

I’ll keep an eye on the ‘applying pressure’ to the dsg theory... but I think I’m pretty good at not resting my hand on the gear stick after years of it being drilled into me by my dad not too as it puts pressure on the selectors etc etc.... with him referencing his claims to some Car he had back in 60’s haha.

These lights are a nightmare and if you do catch them wrong it’s a 3.5 minute wait to come back to you again. So could just be a timing out situation where the car thinks you have parked up.

It’s just a minor inconvenience that’s all, I’m not stressed about it and other drivers beeping at me just get a wave from me out of the window. Haha.

4 hours ago, JaseW said:

These lights are a nightmare and if you do catch them wrong it’s a 3.5 minute wait to come back to you again. So could just be a timing out situation where the car thinks you have parked up.

I think it is this situation. It was when it happened to me, stopped too long.

22 hours ago, Daviecee said:

I think it is this situation. It was when it happened to me, stopped too long.

If that is the case then it is simple try it out at home (or some other place where it is safe to be stopped for a long time).

If you come to a stop and start/stop kicks in and then select P, will the car ever restart itself or will it always ask you to manually re-start the car?

No idea, but kind of defeats the object of having dsg I reckon?

I think it would ask you to restart again....

Mine did this when I first got it but hasn't for the last six months or so (famous last words...).
Mine hasn't done this for ages, then did it again today, right in front of a lorry at a busy junction, embarrassing when you have to figure out what has happens

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk