davetherave

DSG Upgrade from manual

I recently made a post about selling my manual R, and buying a DSG.

So I found up a 16 plate Grey DSG, 9.5k on the clock, great condition in and out. Picked it up on Thursday, excited to finally test the DSG.

Its was a 3 hour drive back home from where I picked it up from, so had a nice drive back to test it.

The first road from the garage was a long and empty one, sat there for 5 mins and set up seating, connecting phone etc, put it straight into race.

I floored it down that road, first impression was that's its good, but didn't feel much different from my manual. I got the fart which made me happy, and it sounds much better than the manual. Driving back on the motorway was pretty fun, not much use from the DSG but even at 100 I could put my foot down, zip in and out of lanes and get up to 115 in no time. I didn't really get to take my manual on the motorway so never really got to hit 100 plus. Its still has power at 100 and can increase speed fairly quick when putting my foot down which was a nice surprise.

After I got back I still wasn't 100%, but I thought I am tired, long journey and I still haven't settled in. I have been driving it around London, and its much better than the manual. It has grown on me loads and today I am falling in love with it more than I was in love the manual, when the manual went I was heartbroken, now I couldn't care less for it lol. Its reaches 50/60 much much quicker than the manual, it feels a lot less than 4.7 seconds or whats advertised, feels more like the 3.9 seconds you'd get from a remap. When pulling off in in normal I put my foot down and I am suddenly doing 30-35mph, its a monster.

I noticed with the DSG gear changing, especially in S is that it revs really really high, like second gear 6k revs and still doesn't want to change than a little fart and its in 3rd and I'm doing 50 lol. I never revved the manual that high, maybe I should have but It didnt feel right, and felt really over revved. Even in the dsg in second it feels like I need to shift up sooner using the paddle, what are your recommendations for this? Or just let it rev up?

I am still getting used to it and haven't even began playing with the paddles, apparently that's great fun especially on the downshifts.

I launched it yesterday morning and f**k me i felt sick after, I didn't even go all the way through with the launch as it wasn't the best road to do it, so i slowed it down. That's fun and Ill do that again, wonder how many launches I have left haha.

I am tempted to remap, but in all honesty it doesn't need one.

My manual was a 64 plate and had the old screen, so no apple play, thats a good extra feature, I noticed when playing from bluetooth or appleplay I get it cutting out sometimes, never had that with the manual.

Also how do I turn the engine noise off inside, or down at least?

From my opinion having owned both a manual and DSG, for me and my situation and where I drive DSG hands down, it performs better for sure, you cant physically change gears like the DSG, even if im chugging along in 4th or 5th and put my foot down it will downshift, take off then go back up. That is truly amazing for, many auto cars I have hired whilst on holiday, when your stuck in 5th and you floor it, it takes for even to build up speed, the downshift just opens it back up.

I still love the manual, and will own another one day, along with a DSG when I can afford it. It is nice to still have a real manual, and the R being one of the only reasonable priced modern manual available.

Ill be posting more stuff up about in the few weeks, Im sure Ill find some great new stuff as well as annoying stuff, and also question.

Sorry for the long post but thought Id share my experience of both the Manual V DSG

I dont have any upgrades on mine, no pano, no nav, no rear camera, no leathers, no keyless etc.

I am a sucker for the extras, so I many have to sell this and get a DSG with some extras lol. Pano, nav, and keyless would do me. And also the sub woofer

Just let it do it’s thing. No need to worry about Revs or Gear it’s in. That’s the point of automatic. 

I wouldn’t bother using the paddles. It really isn’t worth it. It’s much harder to get farts using the paddles just like in manual. And also it’s not really worth it. It’s not like you feel more involved. 

Just enjoy the DSG as not having to change gear is much easier for city  driving and sounds better!

Yeah, I do not see the appeal for paddles to be honest. Some people rate them, but being a manual driver I dont really see the fascination, just buy a manual if your going to use paddles.

Like you said, the DSG is for a reason, and its the reason why I bought it.

Nice early write up.

It’s form with DSG that D upshifts to quickly and S holds the revs too long before shifting.  A DSG map would sort it if you only ever want to drive in the full ‘auto’ modes but you have the paddles and manual mode as the obvious option. 

Maybe once you’ve had a good spell with DSG you might be tempted to try the paddles and give S manual a go and see that there’s another side to DSG and a very rewarding one at that on the right roads, in the right circumstances. 

A read of this is a good place to start to crack DSG, if you haven’t already. 

To reduce the fake interior engine sound (soundaktor), if you use a Individual mode, set up to your prefs, you can select Eco in the Interior engine sound setting and that knocks back the soundaktor to its minimum which is about 25% ish and not at all intrusive and no dash vibration at that setting.  

Look forward to hearing your future observations. 

A good choice if you are mainly city driving but manual always does it for me as my drive to work is 23 miles of single carriageway roads and it’s so rewarding blipping the throttle on downshifts. I had a drive over the Welsh hills in typical, wet January weather earlier in the year and I got totally immersed in the drive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Nice early write up.

It’s form with DSG that D upshifts to quickly and S holds the revs too long before shifting.  A DSG map would sort it if you only ever want to drive in the full ‘auto’ modes but you have the paddles and manual mode as the obvious option. 

Maybe once you’ve had a good spell with DSG you might be tempted to try the paddles and give S manual a go and see that there’s another side to DSG and a very rewarding one at that on the right roads, in the right circumstances. 

A read of this is a good place to start to crack DSG, if you haven’t already. 

To reduce the fake interior engine sound (soundaktor), if you use a Individual mode, set up to your prefs, you can select Eco in the Interior engine sound setting and that knocks back the soundaktor to its minimum which is about 25% ish and not at all intrusive and no dash vibration at that setting.  

Look forward to hearing your future observations. 

Thanks and helpful reply, yeah someone mentioned about how a remap would iron out any DSG issues, D is definitely to quick and S a lot slower especially in city road, longer open road im not to bothered about it over revving to get to 3rd, I'm not sure if a slightly quicker change from 2-3 in S would make it a bit quicker at reaching 0-60, either way even in normal mode and S I generally have to end up break just as its over revving and almost going to change to 3. Quite annoying at times, even when I think I have a decent stretch of road. The DSG is a animal though and really pushes that over rev in 2nd, love it when it farts and boom into 3rd. Special moment lol.

I will give the paddles a go though, even though its not really for me. I am sure on the right road they could be fun. Will check the link for sure, I am new to owning a auto, always owned manuals. Only had autos when hiring on holiday. I am excited to explore a good auto with some great features.

And yes I remember someone saying the noise is on the modes, thanks for reminding me. Ill create a race mode setting but have the soundtraktor lowest. I really hate the noise though speakers, its tacky, although BMW is much worse I've heard from friends.

22 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

A good choice if you are mainly city driving but manual always does it for me as my drive to work is 23 miles of single carriageway roads and it’s so rewarding blipping the throttle on downshifts. I had a drive over the Welsh hills in typical, wet January weather earlier in the year and I got totally immersed in the drive!

Yeah the first thing I thought when I jumped in the DSG was I want my manual back lol, but now I am getting into and the raw torque pull from the gear change and how it just flys through the gears. Its a different drive completely and makes the DSG feel like almost a completely different car.

At the same time I do miss thrashing that geat stick through its paces, smashing up in gear. Thinking about it still has the raw pull and drive, In an ideal world I will have a manual R for my manual, and a DSG R or RS3 lol.

9 hours ago, davetherave said:

Yeah, I do not see the appeal for paddles to be honest. Some people rate them, but being a manual driver I dont really see the fascination, just buy a manual if your going to use paddles.

Like you said, the DSG is for a reason, and its the reason why I bought it.

The paddles are there to make life easier if you want to decide when / where to shift gears, without the ancient ritual of pumping a clutch pedal & waggling a gear-stick. 

But.... I/we rarely use the manual shifter, 'cos that's too slow & we prefer to keep our hands on the wheel.

FWIW I have paddles on the Superb too, 'cos it adds to the fun of driving a "sleeper".

Like you I had a manual golf R mk 7 , I now have a DSG 7.5

and like you I was not that impressed going from manual to DSG , there were a few annoying things that I hated over my manual , creep for instance , I wanted to be in control of how the car moved forward.

in D the first gear doesn’t really exist , in S for normal driving it holds onto the revs too long , there are others but they were the main gripes.

now having the car for 6 months , it’s totally changed my mind , the positives far out way the negatives , the creep actually comes in very handy , Basically I have learnt to drive the DSG in the different modes , I would say 95% of the time I use manual for day to day driving , and the rest either D or S depending on the road , traffic etc. 

You will learn when to use the S mode , I use this mainly if I’m on the motorway and been stuck in the variable speed limits and then they change to national speed limit again , just pull the lever down to S and off you go.

i went to wales the other day and did the journey in D and it was a joy , no stress , just pure driving.

the only gripe I will say which really I can’t  get away from is how nose heavy the DSG is compared to the manual , under breaking I can feel it a lot , the manual was much more balanced , probably due to the Weight of the DSG.  I can now understand why DSG drivers are going through pads and discs quicker than the manual boys.

i will be looking to upgrade my brakes.

seriously though I’m loving my DSG although the first cold manual gear change from first to second can be violent in the new 7 speed box , some suffer from this and some don’t..

i went to wales the other day and did the journey in D and it was a joy , no stress , just pure driving.

Agreed, I’m looking next year to go back to a European holiday I think, I can see my hearse being quite a capable tourer.

Like you I had a manual golf R mk 7 , I now have a DSG 7.5

and like you I was not that impressed going from manual to DSG , there were a few annoying things that I hated over my manual , creep for instance , I wanted to be in control of how the car moved forward.
in D the first gear doesn’t really exist , in S for normal driving it holds onto the revs too long , there are others but they were the main gripes.

now having the car for 6 months , it’s totally changed my mind , the positives far out way the negatives , the creep actually comes in very handy , Basically I have learnt to drive the DSG in the different modes , I would say 95% of the time I use manual for day to day driving , and the rest either D or S depending on the road , traffic etc. 
You will learn when to use the S mode , I use this mainly if I’m on the motorway and been stuck in the variable speed limits and then they change to national speed limit again , just pull the lever down to S and off you go.

the only gripe I will say which really I can’t  get away from is how nose heavy the DSG is compared to the manual , under breaking I can feel it a lot , the manual was much more balanced , probably due to the Weight of the DSG.  I can now understand why DSG drivers are going through pads and discs quicker than the manual boys.
i will be looking to upgrade my brakes.

seriously though I’m loving my DSG although the first cold manual gear change from first to second can be violent in the new 7 speed box , some suffer from this and some don’t..

Guess that’s why my 28 month old manual is still just about on its original front pads.

9 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

Guess that’s why my 28 month old manual is still just about on its original front pads.

I gave my 3 year leased manual back with 36,000 on the clock and loads of life left in the brakes. 

I currently have a manual and have been thinking about a DSG change for a few weeks now but I have had my R almost 1 year on HP so I think swapping for the DSG would be a bad investment.

I might go for the DSG further down the line.

I have ever driven a DSG R so I am intrigued on the extra speed due to the gearbox changes, I still love my manual though as I fell in love with it on the test drive.