Sign in to follow this  
Charles M

Golf R estate mistaken for a......

1 hour ago, Charles M said:

Ha! 

The Passat is an handsome but equally staid looking car, but they look nothing like each other. 

The Passat is Handsome?

i do not think any iteration of the Passat could be classed as anything but functional.

while Beauty is in the. Eye of the beholder, the Passat would need to have hot girl in Braille to even get close.

its a naff looking salooon and especially in Hearse guise.

I might be getting the Mrs one of these.....maxresdefault.jpg

Don't think it looks too bad. Functional, yes. Boring, yes. I know this is the Alltrack, but still, it looks nothing like a Golf. 

2 hours ago, Charles M said:

The Passat is an handsome but equally staid looking car, but they look nothing like each other. 

I suspect that opinion may vary considerably depending on who is doing the looking. 

I like my hearse, but I'm not going to pretend it is anything special in the looks department.  But if I happen to be stretching the boundaries of legality it is an advantage to be driving an anonymous looking white wagon.

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 07:23, Charles M said:

Ha! 

From the rear the Passat is ok, but the front end looks like a grandfathers car. The number of male Passat drivers coming from the opposite direction and looking at my R estate makes me smile. I am reasonably sure most of them are super-jealous

Fat arse and fake tips isn't normally my type, but I've made an exception for the hearse.

It's been called a Passat twice now.  People just need to pay more attention.  I think the Mk8 will be even more difficult to distinguish between the two models.

52 minutes ago, 75Type2 said:

Fat arse and fake tips isn't normally my type, but I've made an exception for the hearse.

It's been called a Passat twice now.  People just need to pay more attention.  I think the Mk8 will be even more difficult to distinguish between the two models.

What fake tips?

;)

I've been asked several times what my estate is, I think that it's because there's no Golf badge just a vw badge and an R on the boot and they are quite rare ordinary people are confused.

I had a similar conversation over the weekend. 

My best friend had a drive in my new R and was then immediately started looking for the Passat R on Autotrader. 

Just taken my white hearse camping for the week, and I heard a Dad and his son arguing as they walked by whether it was an R line or an R. Probably thought it was a Passat as well...
Has to be said it’s a very capable tourer, I’m seriously thinking of camping in France with it next year.. Just not under pines, spent a good hour hoovering them all out yesterday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, aniseedvan said:

Just taken my white hearse camping for the week, and I heard a Dad and his son arguing as they walked by whether it was an R line or an R. Probably thought it was a Passat as well...
Has to be said it’s a very capable tourer, I’m seriously thinking of camping in France with it next year.. Just not under pines, spent a good hour hoovering them all out yesterday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can understand VW making the R Line as they'll sell more of those than Rs. But it rather ruins the R brand (if there is indeed one that they want to build up) 

Others have been doing that for yeaars. VW is just very late to the party.

BMW have M-Sport 

Audi has S-Line

Ford has ST-Line

Volvo has R-Design

I am sure am I am missing many, but each of the above is the same idea. 

I dont really have a problem with it. As long as the "real deal" keeps being made. Crack on.

If anything, always a chuckle when I see what I at first think is another R coming my way, then on closer inspection its an R-Line.