Howster

Picked up new 7.5R Akrapovic today! Can anyone assist?

Hey all picked up my 7.5 today and love it, also I’m enjoying the dsg compared to my manual r! 

Right in my 2015 manual R everytime I went into car I would start then reselect race to open the flaps, when I do this on my new car with the Akrapovic it doesn’t seem to make any difference whatsoever? As in tone wise?

Only time notice a tone change is when literally move selector to S and the revs increase. I’m just wondering if this is normal or if it is because car is cold? I’m revving it on park and N.

Probs me worrying about nothing haha but if anyone with a 7.5 with Akrapovic or without can help I’d appreciate it!

With a DSG it needs to be in S to be 'full race' mode. If you select race for the first time (from any other mode) you'll find it automatically also sets the gearbox to S. Leave it in race mode, then just pull the gear lever back to S each time you start up (assuming you want it in race all the time)...

If you set engine sound to Race in Individual settings then flaps will be open and open every time you start with out having to reselect anything.

With race it's the DSG mode that needs changing on startup. It defaults to D so just need to tap back to get S.

With race mode changing other things like tick over revs and throttle response then this will also give you more sound.

The 7.5 is different. I have the Akrapovic exhaust and get the most pops and cracks in Race mode- DSG Sport only.
When you change the sound actor settings to eco or normal it effects the exhaust. Unfortunately if you deactivate the flaps altogether you’ll lose the vicious pops and cracks a, it just sounds like a regular dsg.

The only way to get the most from the Akrapovic is to have it in Race and use DSG Sport or S Manual.

9 hours ago, Parttimer said:

If you set engine sound to Race in Individual settings then flaps will be open and open every time you start with out having to reselect anything.

With race it's the DSG mode that needs changing on startup. It defaults to D so just need to tap back to get S.

With race mode changing other things like tick over revs and throttle response then this will also give you more sound.

This is the best way. Sit in the garage and change the settings on/off, make sure the windows are down. You'll notice a difference, plenty of farts, pops and bangs I promise.

I have got into the habit of just pressing mode select button and pressing race on the screen every time i start the car, its a bit of a hassle but i know everything is how i want it. My exhaust is warm  enough to pop and bang in less than 5 mins in this heat 

I tried it today and it does make a slight difference, one thing for sure it ain’t popping on the overrun but maybe that will come with time all 4 pipes were roasting after a blast so the valves seem to be working as intended

The car takes time for the engine to loosen up and get run in. 

The noise a new car makes will change with driving. After a few thousand miles it will sound different. 

I wouldn't get overly concerned about a new car not popping and banging when it's not a loud car to start with. 

I also have been driving the Akrapovic 7.5R for about 2k miles. I absolutely love the exhaust, but I've noticed that pops/crackles/bangs only come from left two pipes behind, on the right ones there is barely any air getting through. With launch control there's a large air flow in the left two pipes, but the right two seem even more blocked than in neutral. Is this like a specific design of the Akrapo, or I have a faulty unit, could someone please confirm? Thanks!

Edited by Legoless

I also have been driving the Akrapovic 7.5R for about 2k miles. I absolutely love the exhaust, but I've noticed that pops/crackles/bangs only come from left two pipes behind, on the right ones there is barely any air getting through. With launch control there's a large air flow in the left two pipes, but the right two seem even more blocked than in neutral. Is this like a specific design of the Akrapo, or I have a faulty unit, could someone please confirm? Thanks!

Mine does exactly the same, it’s the way the valves open and close, probably tailored to the Euro market where cars are LHD, more noise for the driver with an open window.

On 10/08/2018 at 14:08, Dan_7R said:

Mine does exactly the same, it’s the way the valves open and close, probably tailored to the Euro market where cars are LHD, more noise for the driver with an open window.

There was a fault detected somewhere on the exhaust, so I am looking further into the issue. Can you Dan_7R confirm, or anyone else that Akra on their 7.5 behaves the same way?

2 minutes ago, dj219957 said:

In park or neutral valves will be closed regardless of mode on a dsg.

That was my first guess, and it is possible. But this behaviour is even more visible, if you are testing launch control, so with DSG in S(port) and you activate the launch control with full throttle and brake pressed. Left two pipes blow air like hell, right two even less than in neutral.