Bojam

Your most annoying harrassment?

3 hours ago, phazer said:

I'm not sure what that means anymore. I've had all manner of cars and never changed the way I drive. I find it strange that when I had the Golf I'd be tolerated but now I'm in an audi I'm not :D Oddly so far, I've had less hassle in the TTS than my old A4 Avant, work that out!

The repeated bad behaviour drivers I see these days are certain city cars and those popular with older drivers but I'm no longer on the motorway so don't see the BMW/Audi (basically company car drivers) thing like I used to.

There is a strange phenomenon about, that some people seem to think that they have to have a certain car, as it portrays (or they think it does) an image of them to the world. An image that they are rich and successful, I guess. It used to be BMWs that were the car of choice. It now seems to be Audi. 

Don't get me wrong, doing this generalisation bit is just pulling a lot of people's legs, even if there does seem to be a bit of truth in it. Rather than all, say, Audi drivers are ****, it should be that there is a fair chance if someone is going to be a ****, they might be in an Audi. Of course, the reality is that that is just as asinine generalisation, as bad drivers are in all sorts of cars.

However, my worst car, and one I came across today being a complete twonk - the Honda Jazz. Now I have never seen one of these being driven properly. The elderly gentleman I came across today, who was incapable of overtaking a bicycle, was still full of spirit. When I put a little gentle pressure on him by moving out to see if I could overtake him, he gave me the bird. (I did manage to overtake him and the bike on a short clear stretch. )

34 minutes ago, Charles M said:

There is a strange phenomenon about, that some people seem to think that they have to have a certain car, as it portrays (or they think it does) an image of them to the world. An image that they are rich and successful, I guess. It used to be BMWs that were the car of choice. It now seems to be Audi. 

Don't get me wrong, doing this generalisation bit is just pulling a lot of people's legs, even if there does seem to be a bit of truth in it. Rather than all, say, Audi drivers are ****, it should be that there is a fair chance if someone is going to be a ****, they might be in an Audi. Of course, the reality is that that is just as asinine generalisation, as bad drivers are in all sorts of cars.

However, my worst car, and one I came across today being a complete twonk - the Honda Jazz. Now I have never seen one of these being driven properly. The elderly gentleman I came across today, who was incapable of overtaking a bicycle, was still full of spirit. When I put a little gentle pressure on him by moving out to see if I could overtake him, he gave me the bird. (I did manage to overtake him and the bike on a short clear stretch. )

Yeah agreed, I don't take offence. It's more of "take a step back doesn't make sense" kind of thing. I think the problem badges come around with whatever is popular on company cars/corporate leasing. Aside from not giving a toss about the cars hence the barging through, there is a sense of "right" badge. Personally I don't care what badge the car has (though yeah I'm a **** with an Audi :D ), if I like it I'll buy it. I wouldn't have a Nova if I cared about that lol

Old drivers who should have given up long ago are so frustrating. I regularly get stuck behind some bone who does 15mph down a main road, other people won't overtake so you've either got to look a right nob and overtake 4 cars or just sit there knowing you'll be late for work :(

22 hours ago, Stobsie said:

Cough cough. 🤐 ⬇️⬇️

I'm saying nowt. Not abusing my very limited power...just being reasonable.....for once....

On 01/08/2018 at 17:17, SpursMadDave said:

How do you know @@@@ starts with a C?

It's more how Audi's in general are driven, obviously not all but a large proportion are ignorant road users in my experience

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's more likely perception than experience in all honesty. You're looking for it. We all do it. I'm the same with reps in Vauxhalls.

For what it's worth, I drive my RS3 just like a drove my Golf. And just how I drove my Leon. The only difference now is I'm actually allowed to be in the Audi lane now (you know, the outside lane on the M1 😉)

I deal with it in my own way- I slow down a little minus the brakes ( look the man who  corrected me -I learnt from your telling of my bad spelling of brakes👍)

then find a safe lane and as they pass I smile and let them move onto someone who will get pissy with them. It really doesn’t matter the make of car- if you have a chip on your shoulders be it a corsa or jag the chip is still there

It's more likely perception than experience in all honesty. You're looking for it. We all do it. I'm the same with reps in Vauxhalls.

For what it's worth, I drive my RS3 just like a drove my Golf. And just how I drove my Leon. The only difference now is I'm actually allowed to be in the Audi lane now (you know, the outside lane on the M1 )
Not at all, I guess there are more Audis on the road but in every car I have had I have seen that mahoosive grille in my rear view mirror just inches from my bumper...

1 minute ago, SpursMadDave said:

Not at all, I guess there are more Audis on the road but in every car I have had I have seen that mahoosive grille in my rear view mirror just inches from my bumper...

Drive a bit faster 👍

Drive a bit faster 
Haha spoken like a true Audi driver

Usually when in heavy traffic to be fair, it's not just Audi drivers the standard on the roads is not good, yes it's just a stereotype as it used to be with BMW's I drove a Jaaaaaag and got all the old man jokes and still drive an MX-5 so get all the hairdresser jokes as well, haven't had a hair cut in over 30 years!

I think the art of overtaking is dying in the UK. People seem to not want to do it (or if they do they're very reluctant). The majority are happy to sit behind very slow drivers, who I have nothing against, provided they accept they will be overtaken by other traffic. Even overtaking a bicycle seems to be a massive undertaking for some, to the point where they will dutifully trundle along at c 10mph for miles with a queue of 20 odd vehicles behind them. 

I appreciate that a bad overtake is dangerous but if executed properly and safely it's a very enjoyable part of driving. However, regardless of a perfectly done overtake the person(s) passed seem to react like you've just murdered their children! I'd wager than there are may, many drivers, on the road who haven't overtaken anything in months, unless on a duel carriageway or motorway. They should all be rounded up and sent to Italy for driving lessons 😉 

28 minutes ago, willis1337 said:

I think the art of overtaking is dying in the UK. People seem to not want to do it (or if they do they're very reluctant). The majority are happy to sit behind very slow drivers, who I have nothing against, provided they accept they will be overtaken by other traffic. Even overtaking a bicycle seems to be a massive undertaking for some, to the point where they will dutifully trundle along at c 10mph for miles with a queue of 20 odd vehicles behind them. 

I appreciate that a bad overtake is dangerous but if executed properly and safely it's a very enjoyable part of driving. However, regardless of a perfectly done overtake the person(s) passed seem to react like you've just murdered their children! I'd wager than there are may, many drivers, on the road who haven't overtaken anything in months, unless on a duel carriageway or motorway. They should all be rounded up and sent to Italy for driving lessons 😉 

My only issue with overtaking is that when I over take someone, 5-10 minutes later their sitting behind me at a set of traffic lights. Just started to seem pointless to me as it didn't get me anywhere faster. That being said my journeys aren't the longest so I can understand doing it more if you're travelling further. Also had a close family member die on the roads so that's always in the back of my head.

27 minutes ago, willis1337 said:

There's that and then there's the drivers that don't like being overtaken and take it upon themselves to keep everyone to the speed limit.

I find van drivers the worst for this slowly accelerating away creeping up to speed limit. They know what their doing. When they get to the next lights you can see them looking in their mirrors and the passenger looking out the window.

On the dual carriageway near me there's always vans sitting in the right lane refusing to move over which just causes people to start undertaking.

must drive the Audis mad! 😏

Bojam

Overtaking can be dangerous if not done correctly (as many other driving skills) and doesn't always save you time, however its a part of driving, and personally I enjoy doing them. My observation is people seem to totally rule out any overtake these days because it involves going on the other side of the road. Provided you do it safely then there's no reason not to. As Bojam's post, many take being overtaken as a slight against them and react as such. That's just silly, I am happy to be overtaken if I am at a speed I want to drive at, just as the person overtaking wants to be at a higher speed.

A well-executed overtaking manoeuvre is a joy to behold.   

By that I mean:

On main and fast A roads and some of the wider B roads.

• catch up the dawdler/cruiser.   
  • Follow for a little while, hanging back without getting close, hassling them, or in any way showing your hand/intention.
  • be in right gear, looking ahead for hazards
  • when clear, accelerate hard indicating as you close on them
  • Pull out and at max acceleration as you pull out.
  • Looking ahead all the time, pass them swiftly.  The R is fab in this 40-80mph zone
  • pull in swiftly, indicating, drop speed back to your own previous cruise. 
  • Your target has been acquired, sized up and dispatched before he or she knows it.

By not showing intention, most are passed before they have had chance to be 'put out', or indeed to accelerate hard as they see you pull out, probably because you tipped your hand by driving too close to them.   Not many spontaneous kick downs are going to gain rate of acceleration of the passing R in full flow.

If people do what to play silly buggers - flooring it, flashing and close driving reprisals etc, dont ever rise to it.    You can lose them easily as you approach next dawdler, time your pass a bit more slowly,  leaving them both to dawdle happily together.   Or pull off and take another route if they are hell-bent on righteous revenge as they stoke their tdi for max attack.