Driving difference between 7 & 7.5

Evening gents

Starting the journey of buying a Golf R DSG. Fully expecting it to take 2/3 months

I have booked a test drive of the 7.5 with VW

problem is I’m not going to buy it. I’m looking to get a 15/16 plate 7

i can see the physical difference of the car.

what I want to know is are there any differences in the drive and mechanics?

will driving the 7.5 give me a general feel for all R’s

obviously when I find one I want I plan to test drive it. But I wanted to start the search with a general test drive withought the pressure of buying.

any help will be much appreciated 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The new 7.5 has a much better 7 speed gearbox. It gets a real hard time on this forum for no good reason really. Drive them back to back the 7 speed responds better on wide open throttle. Apparently i

I have zero problems with jerky takeoffs & gear changes with the 7 speed DSG in my Mk7.5 hearse.  It is nice and smooth all the time (except flat-out, but even then it isn't jerky, just fast chang

Only ever drove a 7 on a brief test drive before buying a 7.5. I believe one difference is the software for the exhaust. The 7.5 exhaust ‘pops & bangs’ more than the 7.

I also have a res delete on my 7.5 which sounds bloody awesome. I’m sure a res delete on a 7 makes a considerable difference also if it’s sound that you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t driven a 7.5R, but asked at my local garage. They said that you can’t really notice the extra 10bhp (I understand this has been removed anyway on future orders), and suspension, brakes & steering are the same. I’ve driven a 7 speed DSG in the 1.0 TSI mk7.5 and it didn’t quite feel as smooth at pulling away as my 6 speed box, which reflects the comments I’ve read on here about the 7 speed 

23 minutes ago, GrayMK7R said:

I haven’t driven a 7.5R, but asked at my local garage. They said that you can’t really notice the extra 10bhp (I understand this has been removed anyway on future orders), and suspension, brakes & steering are the same. I’ve driven a 7 speed DSG in the 1.0 TSI mk7.5 and it didn’t quite feel as smooth at pulling away as my 6 speed box, which reflects the comments I’ve read on here about the 7 speed 

The 7-speed DQ 200 as found in the 1.0 TSi is the dry-clutch unit, & cannot be compared with the new wet-clutch DQ 381.

s very similar to the 6-speed to drive, 7th is just an overdrive gear for hi-speed cruising. 

I've driven both & settled for a 15 month-old late model Mk7, approx £12K saving on a similar spec new 7.5, & I'm quite happy with it.

DC

2 minutes ago, delticdave said:

The 7-speed DQ 200 as found in the 1.0 TSi is the dry-clutch unit, & cannot be compared with the new wet-clutch DQ 381.

s very similar to the 6-speed to drive, 7th is just an overdrive gear for hi-speed cruising. 

I've driven both & settled for a 15 month-old late model Mk7, approx £12K saving on a similar spec new 7.5, & I'm quite happy with it.

DC

Thanks pal, I thought VW had dropped the dry clutch DSG after numerous failures on the previous platform. . . Maybe they have improved the reliability now 

Thanks pal, I thought VW had dropped the dry clutch DSG after numerous failures on the previous platform. . . Maybe they have improved the reliability now 
I had the dry clutch 7 speed on my old ibiza Cupra it's was a clacky, rattly and jerky I'm certainly hoping the new 7 speed is much improved. Saying all that the racing game feel when using the paddles was great fun!

The new 7.5 has a much better 7 speed gearbox. It gets a real hard time on this forum for no good reason really. Drive them back to back the 7 speed responds better on wide open throttle. Apparently it’s more jerky on take off well I’ve never felt any jerking whatsoever I think people are getting confused at the parking brake going off on auto hold. Just my opinion though I could be wrong.

other big diff is the pops and bangs and the bumpers and diffuser are a lot more aggressive 

10 hours ago, Howster said:

The new 7.5 has a much better 7 speed gearbox. It gets a real hard time on this forum for no good reason really. Drive them back to back the 7 speed responds better on wide open throttle. Apparently it’s more jerky on take off well I’ve never felt any jerking whatsoever I think people are getting confused at the parking brake going off on auto hold. Just my opinion though I could be wrong.

I have zero problems with jerky takeoffs & gear changes with the 7 speed DSG in my Mk7.5 hearse.  It is nice and smooth all the time (except flat-out, but even then it isn't jerky, just fast changes).  Maybe different cars have different calibrations or something, as there are quite a few people complaining, but also a lot of people saying their DSG is perfectly fine ?

I do wish it was in less of a hurry to get into as high a gear as possible as soon as possible when I'm driving gently - sometimes the engine is revving so low it almost feels like it is lugging.

I'm the opposite, I've owned both the 7R and my current car is the 7.5R. I find the new DQ381 gear box in the 7.5R as being slightly more jerky in lower gears. 

The DQ250 in the 7R was super smooth so there is a difference, whether I have been unlucky or not I don't know. It's certainly noticeable when pulling away at a junction not to the point that the car isn't drivable or anything like that.

Perhaps i'm being a tad fussy since i've owned and driven both cars for a while.....that's not to say that the 7.5R isn't a good car because it's an amazing vehical.

But then i've heard bad things about the DQ500 that's in the new RS3 then others say it's great, so it's all hit or miss and possible down to driving style.

11 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

I have zero problems with jerky takeoffs & gear changes with the 7 speed DSG in my Mk7.5 hearse.  It is nice and smooth all the time (except flat-out, but even then it isn't jerky, just fast changes).  Maybe different cars have different calibrations or something, as there are quite a few people complaining, but also a lot of people saying their DSG is perfectly fine ?

I do wish it was in less of a hurry to get into as high a gear as possible as soon as possible when I'm driving gently - sometimes the engine is revving so low it almost feels like it is lugging.

It's programmed for (official) economy, innit........./

47 minutes ago, delticdave said:

It's programmed for (official) economy, innit........./

Yeah, I know that but it doesn't mean I have to like it.  I've already fitted a PedalBox+, and when the warranty runs out I will definitely be researching TCU tunes ( also ECU tunes for that matter, I've read some good reports on the OEM+ stage 1 tune for the Mk7.5 R !  ;)  )

I'm unconvinced there's a massive difference between the 7 and 7.5 gearboxes, overdrive 7th gear apart. I've seen reports of the 7.5 box being much smoother, more jerky, less jerky, more indecisive, less indecisive, more aggressive, etc. etc.

My conclusion would be that if opinions are that mixed, there can't be a massive difference either way. 

An extra 10 hp would be nice, especially as some on the tuning threads seem to think it's more. I prefer the looks of the 7, although the fancy dashboard appeals to the gadget freak in me. Overall I'm completely happy with my 7, but imagine I would be delighted with a 7.5 too.

Worth making sure that you can use App Connect though, available on cars from ?2016? Someone will be along that knows, but I wouldn't like to rely on the VW Satnav on either car. Looks nice, dim as a dumb thing at routing and traffic.