Spades

7.5 drive modes and exhaust flaps

10 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Yeah I'm lucky that I have a friend who lives on the A5 he knows all the camera vans as do all the locals, there are also a lot of other roads around the area just the Evo is the best known route, not necessarily the best for driving.

Agree on the sheep I almost had one jump in to my mx-5 !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I try to avoid the Evo, it's too widely publicised and policed and you have fuckwits from cities etc that drive it as it is was the Ring. This in turn pisses everyone else off and increases police presence.

prefer going to Bala and then West coast area heading around other side of snowdonia, less fuckwits and some great roads.

one of the roads we used for years is now all average speed cameras which are worse than camera vans.

Edit:

we walk the dog at Barmout, then head up to Harlech.

sometimes go via A212 to get home.

we also regularly drive up to Anglesey, including the winter months which can be fun lol :)

I try to avoid the Evo, it's too widely publicised and policed and you have fuckwits from cities etc that drive it as it is was the Ring. This in turn pisses everyone else off and increases police presence.

prefer going to Bala and then West coast area heading around other side of snowdonia, less fuckwits and some great roads.

one of the roads we used for years is now all average speed cameras which are worse than camera vans.

Edit:

we walk the dog at Barmout, then head up to Harlech.

sometimes go via A212 to get home.

we also regularly drive up to Anglesey, including the winter months which can be fun lol

Yeah been going to Wales with friends (car friends) for 7/8 years now and you are so right about the Evo it has got worse and worse due to popularity, some much better and less busy roads around the area. We normally get up early and get out for a drive and back for breakfast avoiding the traffic.

9 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Yeah been going to Wales with friends (car friends) for 7/8 years now and you are so right about the Evo it has got worse and worse due to popularity, some much better and less busy roads around the area. We normally get up early and get out for a drive and back for breakfast avoiding the traffic.

Have been going since early 1980's :)

try taking a TVR around (literally at times) some of those roads ;)

Have been going since early 1980's

try taking a TVR around (literally at times) some of those roads

Haha I only learnt to drive at 37 about 12 years ago! I have taken a 350z, Jag XFS and 3 different MX-5s around North Wales/Scotland & Ireland and I have to say the most fun has been in the MX-5s, looking forward to my first FWD/AWD drive there

18 hours ago, Parttimer said:

Not true on my 7.5. If I use individual and set engine sound to race the valves open regardless of DSG mode.

So gearbox still in D??? 😲

That's interesting as I would prefer that, could setup a perfect Individual mode.

3 hours ago, Rich_D said:

So gearbox still in D??? 😲

That's interesting as I would prefer that, could setup a perfect Individual mode.

Yep gear box in D.

I tend to leave in race now mind you and use the DSG in D, it seems to give a better throttle response and still get the valves open.

I must admit these last few days I’ve had mine in race mode and DSG in D, I’ve certainly had more noise out the back end if you pardon the expression! This is in a new 7.5 with 320 miles on the clock. Still on the first thank of fuel so I’m not doing too bad! Ha 

I thought that after engine off, the valves close and you have to reselect S to get them to open - unless that's changed mid '18... 

I got so sick of opening the valves every drive I finally coded them open permanently.  I now have the lovely sound, and drive it in M all the time to get it to do what I want gear wise...  Throttle response - mash harder for faster - good enough for an ape like me!

The open valves though have  had unintended consequences...  On cold startup, and at the right lowish RPMs, the deep basso growl upsets my wife - "it gets in my ears and moves stuff" as she puts it - it's very unpleasant for her...  🙄 I love exactly that effect - it's energising!  It seems to crop up more with the windows down, so I guess it's all windows up air-conditioning from here on in!

Cheers,

E

2 minutes ago, Summons said:

I thought that after engine off, the valves close and you have to reselect S to get them to open - unless that's changed mid '18.. 

On the Facelift the valves aren't controlled by S, so do not revert to closed on restart. As long as Race mode or individual with engine sound set to Race they are open on restart.

Interesting...  Simply was not how mine acted - always drive with the mode in individual, drive in race. 

Maybe a mid year change or purchase location difference?

All sorted for me - hope you have the same success!

E

26 minutes ago, Summons said:

Interesting...  Simply was not how mine acted - always drive with the mode in individual, drive in race. 

Maybe a mid year change or purchase location difference?

All sorted for me - hope you have the same success!

E

Mine is MY18 so could be a change then.

7.5 defo is different engine noise in individual has to be set on race for the proper bangs on the exhaust (Akrapovic)

also so I have to reselect race on startup as even if dsg in S it doesn’t pop on downshifts etc until I reselect race. 

I was wondering is anyone knew if i were to change the soundakor volume via OBD11 if that would keep the pops and bangs or would it stop it like putting engine sound on eco?

I just went for a quick little drive and here’s what I’ve noticed leaving the DSG in S and letting it shift and downshift itself. 

DSG-S and “Engine sound” in Eco obviously has less soundaktor noise but also less pops? coming from the back of the car. 

I’m DSG-S with “Engine sound” in Race, I find there is more noise (more bass like sounds) coming from the back of the car which I’m going to assume is the pops and banging from the exhaust. Whenever I came off the gas and let it hang at around 3,000 dropping to 2,000 rpm, you can hear some subtle banging coming from the back of the car. 

I’m driving a MY18 with 290bhp and 1212km just if anyone is curious about the power difference potentially affecting the sound.