Sign in to follow this  
ChrisW

Discover Nav Pro

The latest nav Pro is an expensive option at £1325 but looking at the vw website it is not clear what it offers above the standard navigation system. The screen is slightly larger and it adds gesture control but does it offer any additional functions? I was wondering if anyone that has one thinks it’s worth having and what the differences are.

Yes, nav pro has bigger screen but also it's a higher resolution. Other functions include: hard drive, 2x SD card slots, can play DVDs, voice control is included too. There's also google maps on it. Probably lots more but that's some of the main highlights. 

Thanks.  A bigger, higher res screen is useful and voice recognition if it works. 

Not sure I would ever want to play dvd’s or download music as I can use a memory stick. Probably not worth the extra if that is it. 

Android Auto includes voice, Google maps, Waze. Got a 2x SD slots in the glove box. Higher res seems a bit pointless, as does having maps in 2 places. 

As Golf67 says, having a knob is a big plus of the non-pro 

I believe the Pro also has better interaction with contacts.

one of the various reason the normal Nav is shit, is that you cannot just select a contact that already has a post code assigned and just drive there.

this means manually inputting post codes, which is bollox.

VW Sales (like most) are utterly shit in regards to product knowledge, this means finding anything out about a car is a nightmare. It really annoys the hell out of me that a person responsible for selling a companies product invariably knows nothing about it.

by rights it should just be a case of them explaining the exact details of each media system and what the pro does over standard....

I know what you mean about the sales rep. I took one for a test drive with the nav Pro and asked what the difference was over the standard unit. He said, bigger screen gesture control and the maps were different but he didn’t know what the difference was.  There is no detailed description of the differences in the vw sales literature that I could find either. They seem to want you to pay £1325 without explaining what you are getting for it

4 hours ago, mardon85 said:

What so even on the 7.5 standard unit you can't have the map up with the dials?

Yes you can but not on the info unit display at the same time.

The maps on the pro have 3D buildings for some area I believe.

Cant see its worth the extra £1300 tbh.

Pretty sure doesn’t support google maps any more, saw a thread a while back from early adopters who were disappointed.

your cash, your choice

Due to an issue with DCC missing from the car I got it January I've had both systems (I got Nav Pro FOC on the 2nd car I got a few weeks ago due to mess up). Is it worth the money, probably not although the additional features are nice. Differences I notice day to day...

Home screen on pro is nice. Displays map, phone contacts and music act the same time.

Map graphics are 3D in Pro. Landmarks show up as colour 3D graphics and building as well. Route choice system makes still awful. Doesn't pick logical route

Big screen looks nice and in my opinion cleaner looking than standard system. Fair enough volume knob was handy but never used other knob.

Resolution looks the same in both systems

When using route guidance can use different zooms on both screens so can get a much wider overview of journey. 

Handy to keep a DVD in the drive when you're stuck waiting for someone, kills the time

Gesture control a gimmick but I do use it when flicking through songs. Doesn't work on CarPlay though

System in general also much quicker than standard one

Probably a few other minor bits and pieces. Having had both, would I pay the premium on my next car? TBH yes, but I like gadgets and tech

Thanks Charlie, a much better comparison than I ever got from the vw sales guy. Your point about two maps at different zoom rates is good, I can see that could be useful. I think it looks better without the knobs, i tend to use the volume control on the steering wheel anyway.

Does the voice control work or is it a pain to use?

I have Discover Pro in my car and in my opinion the gesture control is a gimmick.

As far as I know, the only function of it is to swipe through the screen without actually touching it. Yes, it is useful when driving as it doesn't take your eyes off the road and makes a nice little swosh sound but other than swiping through songs, it doesn't do much. However, gesture control does give you a fingerprint free screen! 

The no knob thing does take some time to get used to but now when I'm driving, I don't ever control the volume from the screen but from the steering wheel instead. 

People who are worried about the no mute button, you just got to tap the "On" button. 

I think the bigger screen does make the car look more modern and last a couple more years down the line too.