Sign in to follow this  
JaseW

Updated Nav and now it’s not working

I updated the maps on Friday and since then I haven’t been able to get it to work in the car.

1) I have done everything word for word that discovercare tells you to do - hasn’t worked

2) I then searched both on here and google for other solutions and followed what I found word for word - ie downloading the zip file, extracting and placing on the SD card manually - hasn’t worked.

3) I have a MacBook and have read this can cause issues sometimes so I have also done it both ways via my wife’s pc - hasn’t worked

4) Yes I am using the original vw SD card that the car came with.

This is what I am getting when I turn the nav on........

Although if I eject the SD card and reinsert it, the screen says this card contain navigation database.

So I’m completely stumped...... and don’t understand computer-y speak very well so any solution needs to be in laymen’s terms.

aad88e09ed6a4d5985f2df3c13e19fba.jpgdff069d992f68ead129f22a596812249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use 7zip to extract the files? When I did mine I found the windows extraction tool didn't work right.  Also, when you look at the SD card you should see the Maps folder at the root. e.g. F:\Maps

Yes Downloaded that and unzipped it to get a ‘maps’ folder with the 6700-odd files

Then simple drag and drop onto the SD card
It all transfers ok - apparently - but when it’s plugged back into the car it comes up with the messages in the photos

Also used Winzip on my wife’s pc and the unarchiver tool on my Mac.

Currently uploading to a different SD Card to try that.

Also used Winzip on my wife’s pc and the unarchiver tool on my Mac.

Currently uploading to a different SD Card to try that.

Could possibly be a corrupt SD card, did you back up the files? Try putting the original files back on and see if it works, if not that would suggest an issue with the card. Also try formatting the card (You may have already done that) could be an issue with the download, maybe download a fresh copy if you haven't already tried that

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tried all that mate, hence why I’m trying a different card now.

I have been using the original vw one up to now.

I did have a couple of error messages on the download the last time saying it couldn’t copy files over to card.

Formatted every time since it went wrong and in the FAT32 format each time

Have you tried a reboot of the system by holding the power button in for 10 seconds, worth ago if not tried.

My latest Maps folder is 12.5 GB with 5887 files and 862 folders, June released.

Yep tried that mate. Cheers.

Even factory reset option on the head unit too.

The release I am getting from vw is exactly that...... so it’s the right one I have then.

This is really pi$$ing me off now.

If there’s an update it just plain simply f*cking update. I’ll be livid if I have to buy a new card from vw because their stupid updating app doesn’t work.

I had the same issue. I used disk utility to wipe the card and format as FAT-32.

Then I used the VW software to download to a 'third party' SD card. Worked after that

I had the same issue. I used disk utility to wipe the card and format as FAT-32.

Then I used the VW software to download to a 'third party' SD card. Worked after that

And when you plugged it back into the car it automatically recognised it without any issues?

I’m trying one last time now. If this one doesn’t work I will contact vw chat tomorrow and see what they say.

1 - card formatted to MS DOS FAT 32.
2 - now installing downloaded media for Europe 1 maps.
3 - using 3rd party SD card option
4 - fingers are crossed.

So........ after that latest effort...... I plugged it into my wife’s pc (for the umpteenth time) and it pops up with an message saying the SD Card is damaged.....

I run the ‘fix it’ option it gives me then run it through the discovercare process using my Mac.

Also plug it into slot 2 this time and place the speed camera alerts SD card into slot 1.

Alas it works.

I now wonder if slot 1 has some kind of issue......

But for the time being I have a working nav system.

Why it didn’t tell me the SD card required fixing beforehand, or why it didn’t work before in the 10 other attempts to do it is beyond me.

Thanks for the pointers guys!

Glad you sorted.

Sometimes SD cards corrupt if connection is lost or unplugged from PC etc. Still readable by some devices but need error checking for others.

There is usually an option to disconnect the card but most of us don't use it, me included.