Sign in to follow this  
goodbadboy

Voice Control

22 minutes ago, adibordoy said:

Only used android auto for voice controls

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

+1

It actually works very well (with AA at least), but its a bit of a gimmick and the novelty soon wears off.

However, the rumours are that the Mk 8 will be "fully digital" (no buttons at all, just touch screens - God help us), so voice is set to become more important...

As a test (in the 7.5), I sent a few texts by voice and it was word perfect every time (the text gets read back to you before you say "send"). Like all voice recognition systems, it depends on how clearly you speak and whether there is any "background noise" (wife, kids, dog etc, ha ha!). I think the systems have come a long way since Clarkson tested one in a merc on TG about 10 years ago. Hilarious 😂. A nice standard inclusion, but not something I would dream of paying an extra $600 for..

Yep, I use the standard VW voice recognition fairly frequently to select artist for my music. Think I have tried the navigation function but didn't seem to work if I remember correctly.

Android Auto though does work very well, press and hold the voice button on steering wheel to enable it and google assistant will function. You can have fun asking it strange questions if you are bored on a trip, like "how much wood can a woodchuck chuck?" gets a suitably silly answer. Besides that I do use the google voice a bit as well, but I am used to the key phrases for google so find it easy.

Definitely not worth £600 though 😵

If you have an Android phone and plug it in, you can activate the voice command by either the Google key word or press the Mic symbol on the touchscreen, then state your google command, so no need to pay VW a rip off £££'s for the VW voice control.

I use it all the time. My wife’s last few cars have all had it too, so guess we’ve got used to using it. This IS the way forward....for those that complain of touch screens, the reality is that there is no long-term intention of users interacting with machine using hands - almost everything will go voice....we’re just in a bit of a crossover phase where the voice interface needs to do a bit of catching up (ie being able to control ALL car systems rather than just some).

Think of the home with Alexa type devices - just the way it’s going....until that develops on to command-by-thought.....

23 hours ago, PhilC22 said:

+1

It actually works very well (with AA at least), but its a bit of a gimmick and the novelty soon wears off.

However, the rumours are that the Mk 8 will be "fully digital" (no buttons at all, just touch screens - God help us), so voice is set to become more important...

As a test (in the 7.5), I sent a few texts by voice and it was word perfect every time (the text gets read back to you before you say "send"). Like all voice recognition systems, it depends on how clearly you speak and whether there is any "background noise" (wife, kids, dog etc, ha ha!). I think the systems have come a long way since Clarkson tested one in a merc on TG about 10 years ago. Hilarious 😂. A nice standard inclusion, but not something I would dream of paying an extra $600 for..

Food for thought..Thanks Phil:afro:

19 hours ago, shurcomb said:

Yep, I use the standard VW voice recognition fairly frequently to select artist for my music. Think I have tried the navigation function but didn't seem to work if I remember correctly.

Android Auto though does work very well, press and hold the voice button on steering wheel to enable it and google assistant will function. You can have fun asking it strange questions if you are bored on a trip, like "how much wood can a woodchuck chuck?" gets a suitably silly answer. Besides that I do use the google voice a bit as well, but I am used to the key phrases for google so find it easy.

Definitely not worth £600 though 😵

If you have an Android phone and plug it in, you can activate the voice command by either the Google key word or press the Mic symbol on the touchscreen, then state your google command, so no need to pay VW a rip off £££'s for the VW voice control.

Thanks Stuart..I'm of similar thought...Cheers:afro: