Roby3087

Help/Advice needed

Hi all, Dont know what to do or where to turn here.

My car was in a crash about 4-6months ago. Was fixed under insurance under a approved repair centre. (passanger side wing got hit meaning, new bumper, new wing, new wheel, new wheel hub, new light etc) Now my car is in getting a new clutch and i get a voicemail saying big problems with doing the clutch job. I ring them back and he explains that it looks like someones done a job on my car, i explained about the crash and he understands now. The problem is that they have over tightened 4 of the 5 bolts going into the gear box, and snapped the 5th. Also something to do with a flange and theres hardly any grease left.

He explains the car is dangerous to drive so he wont let me drive it away without being fixed. He said hes going to see what he can do to fix it and get back to me

Hes rang vw for parts and the uk and germant dont stock these parts.

Where do i stand? Do i ring the repair center or the insurance i was with and see what i can claim back? Also my finance company have said when i bought the car if i have any problems at all to ring them and they will help, should i try them? I dont really want the car to go back to the repair center as they didnt even notice the headlight washers wernt working.

Any help or advice here would be great.

Thanks Roby

I would start with the repair place see what they have to say, even if they take ownership still contact insurance and finance best to keep everyone up to date.

Good luck sorting it, hopefully the repair place will admit liability

Unfortunately will any duff repair you have to let them try to rectify it usually

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bloody hell thought I was reading my own story from the repair centre that done my car too. I was given 3 year warranty on all work carried out by the repair centre so I'd have thought you have the same, or if not 3 years at least 12 months or so. What company done the repair? It wasn't IRG by any chance was it ?😂

Depends if they say they've had any reason to be near the gearbox or not. Have you had the car since new? If so you can fall back on this saying only vw and the repair centre have touched it. 

I assume the mechanic doing the clutch would be referring to the bolts that hold the drive shafts to the cup in the gearbox as apposed to the actual gearbox bolts as I can’t see any reason why they would have needed to touch the actual box itself. 

Firstly I would contact the body shop that did the repair and see what they have to say as it’s shoukd definitely be on their toes. 

If my theory above is correct then maybe try and find a second hand drive shaft cup (only way I can think of describing it “tired ha) just to get the car on the road again then I would get the car to an independent body shop to inspect the full repair as if they can’t get this and the washer right then what else is wrong? As @E-V-A-N-S knows all to well 

This is the part I’m refering to and has a bolt through the centre that holds it in the gearbox, 8mm Allen bolt iirc

Maybe if you could find someone selling a gearbox they would kindly sell this part sepperare 

D607B1B6-B50E-4ECD-A406-34D32DD465FC.jpeg