Sign in to follow this  
E-V-A-N-S

Ex Audi S3 owners

I know there are quite a few ex Audi S3 owners on here and I've never seen anyone say they preferred the S3 over the R. I'm just wondering what your reasons are behind this?

Reason I'm asking is because my boss has just bought a brand new S3 and I have to be honest looks wise its lovely and it sounds nicer than I remember my standard R sounded. I've also just come back from picking up an Audi A3 S line for the misses. It's only the 1.4tfsi but I was really impressed with it on the 150 mile journey home. The manual gear box actually felt nicer than the one on my R and after sitting in the car for 5 hours on the way home (had to take country lanes route due to road closures so took twice as long) I can't make my mind up which interior I prefer. Just by looks I used to prefer the golf interior but after sitting in one for a few hours I may have been swayed. The steering wheel is definitely nicer, its a lot thicker and just feels nicer to hold. I really liked the seats too, but I don't think they hug you as much as the R seats so I'd probably say the R seats just pick it for comfort and function.. after all it is a 300bhp car so needs seats that hold you in place. Looks wise though the Audi seats win it hands down imo. 

I know its a common question between the R and the S3, as they are pretty much the same car. I've seen many reviews and videos on it but I'm just interested in hearing opinions from people that have owned both.

It's all I'm hearing off my boss too, how his S3 is the better car to have and quite frankly its getting a bit boring hearing the same things from him now lol.

I had an 8 P. Lovely car but just boring to look at.

I like the latest 8V but the golf looks much better. In the S3 not one person commented on it. But the golf I do all the time

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

i test drove both the s3 and r before buying an r.  my observations were the same as many others i think -

• s3 sounded a bit better but then the demo had a few '000 miles on the clock
  • liked the look of the s3 super sports seats but they didn't feel as supportive as the r's (in any case i got vienna perforated leather option which i love)
  • the r felt more connected/precise round corners
  • i got a better deal on the r considering available spec.  also easier to get car <£40k list price to avoid excessive annual tax
  • i felt the golf would be more economical to service
  • liked the s3's interior but the cabin felt smaller/closed
  • had a slight preference for the exterior look of the golf. loved the led lights
  • not sure about the s3's ipad infotainment. tend to prefer the integrated golf digital display

both great cars though

1 hour ago, Raiden said:

I had an 8 P. Lovely car but just boring to look at.

I like the latest 8V but the golf looks much better. In the S3 not one person commented on it. But the golf I do all the time

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes I agree there the golf looks better. Little things annoy me with the golf like the spoiler of the S3 is much nicer and small touches like the audi rings shining on the floor when you open the door. You can put it in the golf but it should be like it from factory. 

1 hour ago, swissi said:

i test drove both the s3 and r before buying an r.  my observations were the same as many others i think -

• s3 sounded a bit better but then the demo had a few '000 miles on the clock
  • liked the look of the s3 super sports seats but they didn't feel as supportive as the r's (in any case i got vienna perforated leather option which i love)
  • the r felt more connected/precise round corners
  • i got a better deal on the r considering available spec.  also easier to get car <£40k list price to avoid excessive annual tax
  • i felt the golf would be more economical to service
  • liked the s3's interior but the cabin felt smaller/closed
  • had a slight preference for the exterior look of the golf. loved the led lights
  • not sure about the s3's ipad infotainment. tend to prefer the integrated golf digital display

both great cars though

I’ve heard a brand new R and S3 and the S3 was definitely louder. 

I agree with nearly all your statements there, but I haven’t driven one so cant comment on them all. I was arguing with my boss that i think the VW infotainment and digital display is better than the audi. 

Service wise its the same engine, gearbox, brakes etc so unless audi charge a considerable amount more for labour I’d have thought service costs would be the same. 

56 minutes ago, E-V-A-N-S said:

Service wise its the same engine, gearbox, brakes etc so unless audi charge a considerable amount more for labour I’d have thought service costs would be the same. 

think you might generally pay more at audi than vw dealerships. maybe at independents with some haggling you'd get the same price

off course this is a highly subjective opinion!

I considered and drove the S3 FL and S5 S4 and for driving enjoyment prefer the Golf but My R wasn’t as good as the clubsport S I drove but family practically dictates a 5 door DSG so for Me the golf won hands down. No dis on the audy but it felt soft and safe and had no edges to it. I think Audi build that vagueness in.

I have a manual stock 7R and I drove my friends manual stage 2 S3 Saloon...

I cant get on with the S3 interior, I know it’s a higher quality but it’s too cramped imo, also the steering felt a bit off compared to my R but that could have been in my head 

Even though I think S3 Saloons are one of the best looking cars I would still go with an R.

RS3 Saloon on the other hand is a different ball game 😂

So I have the new S3 and have driven a 7R and owned a 6R. Mrs also had a 7 GTD so can comment on the interior etc.

The reason I went S3 was at the time of ordering the S3 had just got the updated and got the upgraded gear box (7 speed DSG) and the extra 10 horses PLUS the sat nav and cruise control which were extra's on the previous S3 were now included so it was a bit of a no brainer for me. As for the handling, I know the R is a bit cleverer with the front dif and the seats are more grippy but to be honest they're both great cars and as I don't do track days i've never felt short changed.

One thing is great about the S3 is the infotainment system. From day 1 (2 years ago) i had full control of Waze, Google maps, Spotify, audio books, google play etc and the pop up screen is way better positioned IMHO as you dont need to look down and take your eyes off the road.

Finally the looks, I've grown to love my S3 (photo in my signature which if you click on you'll get a high res image) but also still love the R.

Fence firmly sat on!