wolverine

Pretoria (19'') wheels

Hi guys,

Damaged my wheel really badly over the weekend beyond repair unfortunately going over a massive pothole on a country lane - checked and there was marking around it but it was at night so I couldn't see it till the last minute and unable to swerve as fairly narrow road.  Fortunately I have a spare car to use in the interim...but...A few questions. 

1) Costco mentioned that if I get an aftermarket (Pretoria) wheel a) the tyre may not fit very well and b) I have to get the tyre sensor fitted properly by VW?  Is this true?

2) Do the wheels have an electronic sensor fitted inside?  I haven't had the tyre taken off so I'm not sure

3) Are aftermarket wheels going to be any good?  Yes, they're around 1kg heavier, will this really make a difference to performance as the car should adjust automatically over time

4) Buying a 'genuine' wheel second-hand online..dodgy or not?  How can I tell if its buckled or doesn't roll true?

5) What's the likelihood the suspension is damaged too?  I've put on the spare to check, car seems to drive fine, just has the tyre pressure light come on. 

Any suggestions please?  Don't really fancy paying £850+ for a new wheel plus I will need new front tyres too. 

Thanks, 

Wv.

There is no tyre sensor as such. The pressure sensing system works via the ABS system.

I wouldn’t be keen to put an aftermarket wheel on one side and an OEM wheel on the other side on the same axle, personally. 

Guys on here are running aftermarket wheels without issue, but being heavier they increase unsprung mass, which will have influence on how the car handles, however small.

You may find a genuine wheel that’s pukka, you may buy a buckled one. There’s no way to tell unless you get it checked professionally. Pay by credit card, usual rules apply regarding protecting yourself from dodgy deals online. Pretoria wheels can be straightened. 3 of my wheels were buckled when I got my car but they were sorted by the dealer.

If the car drives fine, you’ve probably escaped damage, but it may be worth considering a 4 wheel alignment check.

Do you have a dash cam that captured the impact? Or is the pot hole close enough that you could return and take photos? Check on fixmystreet and potholes.co.uk as to whether the defect was previously reported. Pursue the local authorities for the damage (plenty of details on here and those two websites as to how to do so). 

I tw*tted my front near side Cadiz a month ago, tyre blebbed too. After much googling I got a refurbed OEM from Alloyhub. New tyre fitted and tracking sorted via Blackcircles at the local BMW dealer. Seems ok now. Claim for £600 now with the council. I reported the fault which was a low gully grate and received a reply which stated action was required...as much of an admission of liability as I could hope for!

Who ever in Costco told you the tyre may not fit very well and only VW can fit the tyre pressure sensor may need to stick to stacking shelves 😂 why and how would people be able to sell wheels that could potentially be fatal if the tyre doesn’t fit well? 🤔 

Anyway, would you not consider a set of copy prets from CM wheels for £500 as a temp fix till you can find a good genuine pret? Or failing that keep the reps and sell your remaining 3 genuine prets to cover the cost and maybe have a little change? 

23 hours ago, wolverine said:

Hi guys,

Damaged my wheel really badly over the weekend beyond repair unfortunately going over a massive pothole on a country lane - checked and there was marking around it but it was at night so I couldn't see it till the last minute and unable to swerve as fairly narrow road.  Fortunately I have a spare car to use in the interim...but...A few questions. 

1) Costco mentioned that if I get an aftermarket (Pretoria) wheel a) the tyre may not fit very well and b) I have to get the tyre sensor fitted properly by VW?  Is this true?

2) Do the wheels have an electronic sensor fitted inside?  I haven't had the tyre taken off so I'm not sure

3) Are aftermarket wheels going to be any good?  Yes, they're around 1kg heavier, will this really make a difference to performance as the car should adjust automatically over time

4) Buying a 'genuine' wheel second-hand online..dodgy or not?  How can I tell if its buckled or doesn't roll true?

5) What's the likelihood the suspension is damaged too?  I've put on the spare to check, car seems to drive fine, just has the tyre pressure light come on. 

Any suggestions please?  Don't really fancy paying £850+ for a new wheel plus I will need new front tyres too. 

Thanks, 

Wv.

You guys must have some really crap roads over there:wacko: