dgo

Speeding convictions in your Golf Mk 7

All true —and I don’t think all speed is bad but I’ve stopped counting the number of RTCs with fatal or life-changing injuries that I’ve attended where speed *was* a factor.

...and I think it’s a fair bet that in many, if not most, of those someone thought their speed was “appropriate” — right up to the point where suddenly they discovered that it wasn’t.

I’m not plod mate and I’m not after anyone’s licence or even their fun.

I and my colleagues would, however, quite like not to have to do the “I’m really sorry but s/he has died” conversation with distraught families quite so frequently and certainly not in situations that were entirely avoidable.

I totally get it; speed limits feel entirely arbitrary and there’s a whole separate (and perfectly valid) discussion around disproportionate enforcement in this one area, just because it’s a relatively easy process to automate and can be seen as a cash cow to milk.

Whether you like it or not, that doesn’t change the facts that (a) speed is a significant factor in a large proportion of fatal and serious injury RTCs (the kinetic energy leading to the trauma has to come from somewhere) and (b) there is good performance psychology to show that many drivers do over-estimate their abilities and underestimate the significance of their speed.

The limits ARE there for a reason and they existed before you took to the roads so you knew what the score was when you first started driving.  This is not about avoiding the inconvenience and irritation of points or speed awareness courses.  It’s about preventable loss of life, disability, loss and grief.

I’m very happy to be told that you know better and that you can drive however you like.  That’s entirely up to you but do it in the knowledge that what I’m saying is true.  I’ve been that paramedic and now I am that doctor so I really do know what I’m talking about.

9 hours ago, DangerZone said:

Why set your DCC or speed limiter to (speed limit + x%) when you can just set the damn thing AT the speed limit?

Tried that on the M23 last week, and ended up almost getting TPAC’d by a couple of Eastern European artics who didn’t care about the average speed cameras as they had foreign plates 

One sitting about three ft behind my rear bumper and one overtaking me for a good few minutes. Defo not a good feeling

No, being boxed-in like that is not nice at all.  If you were sticking to a limit and conscious of average speed cameras then I suspect that if they were minded to drive like that then they'd do it whether you were driving fully adaptive cruise or pure manual.

DangerZone's observations are both thoughtful and a little disturbing.  Inappropriate speed for conditions is the real culprit.  Speed limits, especially arbitrary limits, can't always address this issue.  To defend limits in general in the name of fewer deaths and serious injuries runs the risk of missing the point and sounds uncomfortably close to "Speed Kills" and other Anti-Destination League rhetoric.  Technology has made magnificent strides in enhancing vehicle capability to operate safely at greater speeds and protect occupants from serious accidents and injury when things go pear-shaped.  Granted technology can't entirely compensate for lack of driver competence and judgment.  Nor can it defy the laws of physics.  Even so, our support of speed limits should be measured by the extent to which they actually address the safety concerns DangerZone eloquently presents.

All true —and I don’t think all speed is bad but I’ve stopped counting the number of RTCs with fatal or life-changing injuries that I’ve attended where speed *was* a factor.

...and I think it’s a fair bet that in many, if not most, of those someone thought their speed was “appropriate” — right up to the point where suddenly they discovered that it wasn’t.

I’m not plod mate and I’m not after anyone’s licence or even their fun.

I and my colleagues would, however, quite like not to have to do the “I’m really sorry but s/he has died” conversation with distraught families quite so frequently and certainly not in situations that were entirely avoidable.

I totally get it; speed limits feel entirely arbitrary and there’s a whole separate (and perfectly valid) discussion around disproportionate enforcement in this one area, just because it’s a relatively easy process to automate and can be seen as a cash cow to milk.

Whether you like it or not, that doesn’t change the facts that (a) speed is a significant factor in a large proportion of fatal and serious injury RTCs (the kinetic energy leading to the trauma has to come from somewhere) and (default_cool.png there is good performance psychology to show that many drivers do over-estimate their abilities and underestimate the significance of their speed.

The limits ARE there for a reason and they existed before you took to the roads so you knew what the score was when you first started driving.  This is not about avoiding the inconvenience and irritation of points or speed awareness courses.  It’s about preventable loss of life, disability, loss and grief.

I’m very happy to be told that you know better and that you can drive however you like.  That’s entirely up to you but do it in the knowledge that what I’m saying is true.  I’ve been that paramedic and now I am that doctor so I really do know what I’m talking about.

Couldnt agree more and its not just yourself you have to think about, my recent accident where a van cut me up on a rounabout is a prime example. Im going across a dual carriageway roundabout in right hand lane and white van in left lane decides he is going round and hits me pushing me on to central reservation and hitting barrier, car totalled...

When i checked my cam its a 50mph limit and I could easily have been doing that at the time across the roundabout and I have if its clear, but i slowed and was doing 26 when I got hit, if i had been doing 50 i would have gone in to the traffic on the opposite side possibly killing myself and others.... the vans fault or mine?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk