DrainBamage

Pulled the Plug on the Golf R - Detailed explanation

Pulled the plug cancelled the Golf R getting nowhere and just simply not prepared to wait and not even given a build slot confirmed date. Only at stage 2 with factory on VW Tracker.

As many of you may be aware i ordered in June:-

Golf R Indium Grey 5DR DSG

Reversing camera

Performance pack

Akrapovic Exhaust

Panromic Roof

Keyless start

90% Tints

DCC

DynAudio

Just short of 45k

After extensively looking and reading i found a different car ( Curse me if needed, Flame jacket fully on )

I have found and gone for a CLA 45 AMG Shooting brake pretty much loaded,  In stock Facelift as new September 2018.

Colour - Mountain metallic sheen grey ( Golf was Indium Grey not too different )

Night edition plus (Active parking , Full Panoramic roof, Both front electric memory seats.) Golf roof not as big plus getting parking assist and Memory/Electric seats drivers and passenger )

AMG Exclusive Package ( Upgraded full leather AMG seats black with red perforations and brushed aluminium few other interior bits) After sitting and being in these seats they are class and i was getting the cloth on the R as didn't want leather but simply fell in love with these AMG ones - Space age looking and this option was already on the car)

Load Compartment Package ( Much better for me for work - Seats go fully down and proper loading bay and side nets etc)

Mirror package close and fold etc.

AMG Ride control Sports suspension with Adaptive dampers ( Similar to DCC But less settings )

Full Command OnLine pack ( Another £1875 and does quite a few tricks )

AMG Performance Exhaust System ( Sounds absolutely awesome different class )

Note :- Keyless start comes on it too, As with b Pillar black tints and reversing camera.

Overall i was really impressed with the CLA45 AMG when i took for a test drive last Saturday.

Extremely quick, Quite ferocious. I liked the power delivery had a smile i've not had in a long time.

Sounds fantastic, Much better sound than the Golf i dare say.

When Idling, Whilst revving and on up and downshifts. Bare in mind i opted for the Akra too so could not compare to that without listening in real life not on Youtube..

Too me looks great in flesh in my eyes all subject to taste, Plus missus mega liked sat in it her face was like a crimbo tree, and when i said about the Golf she simply said get a grip??

Inside cabin especially with AMG exclusive Pack is just such a nice place to be looks great and the seats are simply amazing.

The Panoramic roof seems a lot bigger than the golf and literally 3/4 of the car roof is glass.

Also some nice touches like auto close boot. A lot more just can't think of right now.

I feel like i have got everything i was getting with the Golf and more. But here is the Icing on the cake.

It is going to cost me less than the Golf that i specced.

This CLA45 AMG is well over 54k with the spec.

Some of you might disagree some of you might thing i've done the right thing.

I feel i'm getting no less of a car with all the spec i was getting on the Golf. I have mentioned to several friends and people and places i've worked this last week , Shown them pictures etc. Not one of them said i should of waited for the Golf, No brainer was said many times.

Hey i'm not here to slag the Golf R i was getting one had it on order since June. But i'm impatient and i just really don't want to wait.

I appreciate all you guys on here and all the questions i have asked and how sensible this forum is and the welcome and replies i have recieved. On tuning and other elements of the Golf R

All ready doing homework on CLA45 AMG Tuning apparently DMS, Renntech, MSL, Collins for proper remaps, Plenty of piggyback Ecu Boxes too Litchfiled,Tricolore...

The more trusted tuners cropping up DMS and MSL not 100% with the 381bhp model facelift say the increase for stage 1 is around 420-430bhp and 580-600nm. Apparently the mid range becomes even more awesome and it's like £750 for DMS and they will demap and remap for dealers as many times as needed there reputation seems outstanding and they come to your home to do it with a 48hr prebook. for service and warranty, Pretty awesome.

It would look not sure again on mY19 facelift that the DCT box is NOT as strong as the DSG maybe a bit quicker on downshifts. Overall not as a good a gearbox though. Not sure if improvements are on the MY19 boxes still reading.

Tuning seems a bit like the Golf Stage 1 to 2 is like 10bhp and 20nm But only like £1000-1200 stage 2 on CLA not 3k like the Golf for stage 2

Then stage 3 is Turbo change and 5-6k which for the figures and graphs i've seen dosen't seem worth it, Another 30bhp and not more Torque as the Gearbox not keen over 600nm without a Gearbox cooler. £595

According to many owners a good stage 1 remap map and maybe Induction is about right for these cars.

This is a done deal. Anyone had A45,CLA45,GLA45 and would like to share there thoughts.

I'm not having 2nd doubts i believe the overall package is better and worked out less money for me.

I just feel i should be respectful rather than just dissapear off the forum without explaining why. I'm sure i'll still come on and read as i'm a car nut just like the next petrol head.

Sounds when reading back like i'm making out the CLA45 AMG is better. Not my Intentions at all just just explaining why and how i came to all my decision making. I respect all cars have good and bad points. But boy i assure you the CLA45 AMG is serious fun.

Dave

5 hours ago, DrainBamage said:

Pulled the plug cancelled the Golf R getting nowhere and just simply not prepared to wait and not even given a build slot confirmed date. Only at stage 2 with factory on VW Tracker.

As many of you may be aware i ordered in June:-

Golf R Indium Grey 5DR DSG

Reversing camera

Performance pack

Akrapovic Exhaust

Panromic Roof

Keyless start

90% Tints

DCC

Just short of 45k

After extensively looking and reading i found a different car ( Curse me if needed, Flame jacket fully on )

I have found and gone for a CLA 45 AMG Shooting brake pretty much loaded,  In stock Facelift as new September 2018.

Colour - Mountain metallic sheen grey ( Golf was Indium Grey not too different )

Night edition plus (Active parking , Full Panoramic roof, Both front electric memory seats.) Golf roof not as big plus getting parking assist and Memory/Electric seats drivers and passenger )

AMG Exclusive Package ( Upgraded full leather AMG seats black with red perforations and brushed aluminium few other interior bits) After sitting and being in these seats they are class and i was getting the cloth on the R as didn't want leather but simply fell in love with these AMG ones - Space age looking and this option was already on the car)

Load Compartment Package ( Much better for me for work - Seats go fully down and proper loading bay and side nets etc)

Mirror package close and fold etc.

AMG Ride control Sports suspension with Adaptive dampers ( Similar to DCC But less settings )

Full Command OnLine pack ( Another £1875 and does quite a few tricks )

AMG Performance Exhaust System ( Sounds absolutely awesome different class )

Note :- Keyless start comes on it too, As with b Pillar black tints and reversing camera.

Overall i was really impressed with the CLA45 AMG when i took for a test drive last Saturday.

Extremely quick, Quite ferocious. I liked the power delivery had a smile i've not had in a long time.

Sounds fantastic, Much better sound than the Golf i dare say.

When Idling, Whilst revving and on up and downshifts. Bare in mind i opted for the Akra too so could not compare to that without listening in real life not on Youtube..

Too me looks great in flesh in my eyes all subject to taste, Plus missus mega liked sat in it her face was like a crimbo tree, and when i said about the Golf she simply said get a grip??

Inside cabin especially with AMG exclusive Pack is just such a nice place to be looks great and the seats are simply amazing.

The Panoramic roof seems a lot bigger than the golf and literally 3/4 of the car roof is glass.

Also some nice touches like auto close boot. A lot more just can't think of right now.

I feel like i have got everything i was getting with the Golf and more. But here is the Icing on the cake.

It is going to cost me less than the Golf that i specced.

This CLA45 AMG is well over 54k with the spec.

Some of you might disagree some of you might thing i've done the right thing.

I feel i'm getting no less of a car with all the spec i was getting on the Golf. I have mentioned to several friends and people and places i've worked this last week , Shown them pictures etc. Not one of them said i should of waited for the Golf, No brainer was said many times.

Hey i'm not here to slag the Golf R i was getting one had it on order since June. But i'm impatient and i just really don't want to wait.

I appreciate all you guys on here and all the questions i have asked and how sensible this forum is and the welcome and replies i have recieved. On tuning and other elements of the Golf R

All ready doing homework on CLA45 AMG Tuning apparently DMS, Renntech, MSL, Collins for proper remaps, Plenty of piggyback Ecu Boxes too Litchfiled,Tricolore...

The more trusted tuners cropping up DMS and MSL not 100% with the 381bhp model facelift say the increase for stage 1 is around 420-430bhp and 580-600nm. Apparently the mid range becomes even more awesome and it's like £750 for DMS and they will demap and remap for dealers as many times as needed there reputation seems outstanding and they come to your home to do it with a 48hr prebook. for service and warranty, Pretty awesome.

It would look not sure again on mY19 facelift that the DCT box is NOT as strong as the DSG maybe a bit quicker on downshifts. Overall not as a good a gearbox though. Not sure if improvements are on the MY19 boxes still reading.

Tuning seems a bit like the Golf Stage 1 to 2 is like 10bhp and 20nm But only like £1000-1200 stage 2 on CLA not 3k like the Golf for stage 2

Then stage 3 is Turbo change and 5-6k which for the figures and graphs i've seen dosen't seem worth it, Another 30bhp and not more Torque as the Gearbox not keen over 600nm without a Gearbox cooler. £595

According to many owners a good stage 1 remap map and maybe Induction is about right for these cars.

This is a done deal. Anyone had A45,CLA45,GLA45 and would like to share there thoughts.

I'm not having 2nd doubts i believe the overall package is better and worked out less money for me.

I just feel i should be respectful rather than just dissapear off the forum without explaining why. I'm sure i'll still come on and read as i'm a car nut just like the next petrol head.

Sounds when reading back like i'm making out the CLA45 AMG is better. Not my Intentions at all just just explaining why and how i came to all my decision making. I respect all cars have good and bad points. But boy i assure you the CLA45 AMG is serious fun.

Dave

Bummer Dave..but understandable decision....I enjoyed reading your post..:)

I can be impatient as well, but IMO VW have shot themselves in the foot with all these huge delays in building & releasing cars that meet the new WLTP standards.  It's not like there aren't alternatives.

Dave, enjoy your Merc 👍

Don't blame you at all - i wouldn't wait 6 months plus for the R personally. R is a good car - don't get me wrong - but VW aren't as well built as they were imho.

I do like the CLA - I looked at the CLA250 AMG version - I wasn't sure about the ride personally - the stick on dash everyone goes on about - its where it is as its easier to see - more in line of your eyes.

I did like the CLA shooting brake - looks better than the CLA coupe - but in the end lease deal on the r came up and it was about £200 a month cheaper than the CLA - so that swung it for me.

However CLA will be on the list possibly to replace - although won't be the CLA45 - I'm pretty much done with fast cars now - I dont use the performance - or if I do its about 1% of the time - my missus hates the R if I put my foot down.

Choosing cars is always a personnel thing and a lot of time can be a right pain.

always best to go with what you feel.

we looked at the Merc and but discounts where pretty crap and bizarelly the lead time was longer.

lead times for cars are likely to get worse, there is a huge global component (capacitors, etc) shortage, lead times for basic stuff have moved from say 8 weeks to 22 weeks, this obviously affects the car industry supply chain.

WLTP is just icing on the cake, then wait for Brexit borders....

On 28/09/2018 at 08:00, Rmick said:

Glad you got sorted, ETTO, IMHO CLA is a fugly car, especially the afterthought iPad stuck on top of the dash.

Like i said good and bad points on most cars.

All subject.

On 28/09/2018 at 08:24, gregozedobe said:

I can be impatient as well, but IMO VW have shot themselves in the foot with all these huge delays in building & releasing cars that meet the new WLTP standards.  It's not like there aren't alternatives.

Dave, enjoy your Merc 👍

100% was really looking forward to the Golf with a lovly spec too.

Not even talking about doing the emission testing till November.

I really don't have the patience.

When i looked around there is alternatives.

I had some nice plans for the Golf R too. Doing lot' s of homework.

I think i will have just as much fun in CLA after driving one.😀

On 28/09/2018 at 08:03, goodbadboy said:

Bummer Dave..but understandable decision....I enjoyed reading your post..:)

I know Bummer agreed.

Glad you enjoyed my post just wanted to be honest. I'm one of them people when i want something i go to any lengths to get immediately.

Games Consoles, Mobile phones etc etc.

That's how i am and who i am. Don't think i will ever change always been that way. To order June and not even accepted off factory stage 2 on VW configurator is a joke in my eyes.

Then not knowing if it's going to be 310ps and not knowing if the sound would not be the same with the new GPF filter etc.

So the questions marks on top didn't help.

I honestly don't think i'll be any worse off with my new selection.☺️

On 28/09/2018 at 12:33, Jedi1971 said:

Wouldn't be for me having driven the A45  !  just a little bit too much all or nothing on the driving experience ---- hope it ticks all the boxes for you ! 

Without exageration it ticked all my boxes and more. I was mightly impresssed with the overall package.

Seriously quick and the sound made me grin constantly, Would never get bored off listening to it.

One thing i was always in gripe with the Golf was the sound hence opting Akrapovic hoping it would of made the huge difference i required.

I don't need to worry now about sound, The full AMG performance Exhaust sound is perfect. Music to my ears.

On 28/09/2018 at 13:04, gazza5 said:

Don't blame you at all - i wouldn't wait 6 months plus for the R personally. R is a good car - don't get me wrong - but VW aren't as well built as they were imho.

I do like the CLA - I looked at the CLA250 AMG version - I wasn't sure about the ride personally - the stick on dash everyone goes on about - its where it is as its easier to see - more in line of your eyes.

I did like the CLA shooting brake - looks better than the CLA coupe - but in the end lease deal on the r came up and it was about £200 a month cheaper than the CLA - so that swung it for me.

However CLA will be on the list possibly to replace - although won't be the CLA45 - I'm pretty much done with fast cars now - I dont use the performance - or if I do its about 1% of the time - my missus hates the R if I put my foot down.

Totally understand.

In theory the car is more expensive but working out cheaper for me with more spec than the Golf. Got a great deal. Was like wow.

Missus loves it too. She hated the sound of the Golf hated it. She also loves a bit of heavy foot road permitting so lucky in that respect.

I get the whole stick on Dash IPAD slagging i really do. But the full Online Command Info system is great with some cool features. I can bare with that small hiccup because the rest of the car excels all expectations.. To me they did anyhow😎