DrainBamage

Pulled the Plug on the Golf R - Detailed explanation

Love it Love it

swapped my A45 for Golf R mainly because I had A classes for 4 years and wanted a change

Golf is a stunning piece of kit but a few annoying flaws as with any car and it's horses for courses

I was really wary of getting the CLA as there had been so many probs with the FL gearboxes, which I'm sure they've sorted now

Miss the noise of the perf exhaust and all the trick noises which could scare pedestrians, and the manic downshift but the Golf is a lot more stealth

Hate the mirror control what an oversight ! and the Merc cruise is far easier to operate

Love the Golf gearbox seems faster, dash stunning, sweep indicators stunning

Miss the Merc brakes and seats

My Grandkids said no need to pick us up from school in the Golf !

Just done 9k now and it's going like a rocket

Worst thing is the VW dealer service, bit worried really as I was really well looked after by MB and that was by Whitfield

You'll love it I'm sure, me I'm waiting to see what the A35 ( what f...ing daft name) is like,

on paper it's a Golf R with a little bit more

P.S is your CLA on 18's or 19's ?

cheers

Alan

36 minutes ago, ALS391 said:

You'll love it I'm sure, me I'm waiting to see what the A35 ( what f...ing daft name) is like,

If an A35 was good enough for James Hunt then what's the problem?

Some of us are old enough to remember them sold as new cars.

http://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1967-austin-a-35-van---ex-james-hunt

On 01/10/2018 at 11:12, ALS391 said:

Love it Love it

swapped my A45 for Golf R mainly because I had A classes for 4 years and wanted a change

Golf is a stunning piece of kit but a few annoying flaws as with any car and it's horses for courses

I was really wary of getting the CLA as there had been so many probs with the FL gearboxes, which I'm sure they've sorted now

Miss the noise of the perf exhaust and all the trick noises which could scare pedestrians, and the manic downshift but the Golf is a lot more stealth

Hate the mirror control what an oversight ! and the Merc cruise is far easier to operate

Love the Golf gearbox seems faster, dash stunning, sweep indicators stunning

Miss the Merc brakes and seats

My Grandkids said no need to pick us up from school in the Golf !

Just done 9k now and it's going like a rocket

Worst thing is the VW dealer service, bit worried really as I was really well looked after by MB and that was by Whitfield

on paper it's a Golf R with a little bit more

P.S is your CLA on 18's or 19's ?

cheers

Alan

18's Alan

On 01/10/2018 at 08:24, Charles M said:

Out of interest.....

I know everyone seeks different things, and feel one thing is more important than another, but why is noise such an issue for so many people? Why do people want an aural assault?

Makes you feel like your driving a proper sports car and with me personally gives me overwhelming adrenalin rushes, Also same reason Supercars have such an epic soundtrack

A45 noise for a 4 cylinder is very distinctive

but the V8 AMG's make a mental noise, I've been lucky enough to have a few as courtesy cars and gone to Heaven with the epic noise they make

for me probably as a result of teenage visits to F1 stock cars, unsilenced Chevy V8's, amazing ground shaking monsters.

In fact last night I had to open the back windows to have a bit of noise driving home from work, I should have picked the Akrapovic exhaust but 3k is ridiculous

5 minutes ago, ALS391 said:

A45 noise for a 4 cylinder is very distinctive

but the V8 AMG's make a mental noise, I've been lucky enough to have a few as courtesy cars and gone to Heaven with the epic noise they make

for me probably as a result of teenage visits to F1 stock cars, unsilenced Chevy V8's, amazing ground shaking monsters.

In fact last night I had to open the back windows to have a bit of noise driving home from work, I should have picked the Akrapovic exhaust but 3k is ridiculous

Agreed i had the Akra chosen on the build. To try and get better sound.

You dont need any windows down on this CLA45 AMG Nice and loud just right to me anyhow. With windows down or pana open a bit. You could listen to it all day.

Like a gun going off on upshifts.. Really loud. Sounds a real weapon  :)

On 30/09/2018 at 10:15, Jon R306 said:

Good on ya bud I know you’ll have plenty of fun in the CLa and a great sound track.

as you know when I went looking for an R the 6 months waiting for a DSG was nuts so lucky I found a stock car I liked that was available.

just right place right time for us.

I had a deposit down on a GLC amg then a cla then a Gla 45 before coming across the golf so as you say there’s plenty of alternatives. 👍👍

good luck buddy and happy motoring. 😁😎

How’s the Golf ?

Any further bits planned this year?

Had a bit of moment about selling mine but decided the outlay for a M2 Comp or RS3 was too great right now.

Speaking to Tom last week re a Littco blower on mine LT450 or X depends on cost. I can run my APR software on the X

No fuel pumps needed either but both needed for 450 version