DSG DQ381 Fluid Capacity

ASRman

Just had the oil changed on my 7 Speed DSG. Initially was told it would take 6 litres but turns out was topped off around 4.7L. Is this different to the capacity of the old 6 Speed DSG in the 7R? 

Secondly is there any (easy) way for me to check my DSG oil level myself to ensure its at the correct level. Hear that overfilling is much worse than slighty underfilling. 

Thanks 

Not sure about the 7 speed. On the 6 speed the total fluid capacity is around 7 litres, however the serviceable volume is only around 4.5 litres.

It is impossible to totally drain all the fluid.

No way to check level either.

Who did the service? Isn’t the service interval on the 7 speed around 80k miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, slider09 said:

Not sure about the 7 speed. On the 6 speed the total fluid capacity is around 7 litres, however the serviceable volume is only around 4.5 litres.

It is impossible to totally drain all the fluid.

No way to check level either.

Who did the service? Isn’t the service interval on the 7 speed around 80k miles?

Yes 4.5L sounds about right as that's the amount drained and refilled thanks. 

Service done requested by me by my trusted Audi independent (also happens to be a Revo dealer). No idea what Audi recommends as service interval on the DSG but wouldn't trust their recommendation, even less so on a hard driven car and less even more on a hard driven tuned car,such as my one is.

Turns out after 33k in mine the filter was filthy and the oil was in quite a bad state so I'm very glad I did it now as I was contemplating putting it off for another 10k or so. Always better to change too early than too late :)

9 hours ago, Richard_Nottm said:

Really. thought it was 40k?  That how i have it set up on my service plan.

Yeah, 80k...see link below. It's stated at the bottom of the page. It's from a USA site but no reason to suggest that the interval would change for UK models...in terms of the DSG.

https://www.jorgevw.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2018-VW-Maintenace-Scheduele.pdf

What worries me is that the service schedule is for all vw models. Servicing on performance models (especially when the performance is used) should be adjusted as necessary. I wouldn't leave it beyond 40k - there have been lots of instances on the 6 speed box with issues caused by not following the 40k oil change. Not worth the risk imho.

Also, the US models are not the same as UK models - I think they're down on power and torque.

I'm in agreement, I wouldn't go the full 80k and will most likely do DSG oil changes every 30-40k. The post above was just to highlight what VW (USA) has stated for the 7 speed DSG (Golf R).

The rest of what is on the pdf you can throw in the bucket....as I for one won't be following VW service schedule interval periods.....whatever VW say i'll be cutting it by half, just to be safe....as there is no harm in doing that, other than the cost to you.

• 2 years later...
Thanks very much, don't suppose you have a link to a guide for changing it as well..lol

Cheers

MarkC

Have a look on YouTube, there’s loads on there.
Do you have a scan tool, you need to ensure the new oil temperature is within a certain range during the levelling process?

I have OBDeleven Pro, I can check gearbox temp with that ?

I wasn't going to change the filter just the oil, I don't think my gearbox has enough oil in it so was gonna empty and refill with fresh oil.

Can you check the oil level to see if there's enough in it and just top it up ?

Cheers