Jump to content
AgtX

Still carbon buildup on latest tsi engines?

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, mustard said:

Back in the day, well my grandfather's anyway, a decoke of the engine was required at regular intervals.

Yes, and manual chokes for cold starts, 3,000 mile engine oil changes, points that constantly needed adjusting as did drum brakes, and if you were lucky, valve clearances too.  Then there were crossply tyres (and if you were poor, retreads that kept loosing a tread).  If you had multiple carbies they often needed synchronising to keep your car running properly. 

 

The "good old days" weren't actually that great.  But I will admit cars were easier to maintain & fix (and just as well, because they needed a lot more attention).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gregozedobe said:

Yes, and manual chokes for cold starts, 3,000 mile engine oil changes, points that constantly needed adjusting as did drum brakes, and if you were lucky, valve clearances too.  Then there were crossply tyres (and if you were poor, retreads that kept loosing a tread).  If you had multiple carbies they often needed synchronising to keep your car running properly. 

 

The "good old days" weren't actually that great.  But I will admit cars were easier to maintain & fix (and just as well, because they needed a lot more attention).

As my grandfather and a lot of elderly people say, “They don’t make cars like they used too” 😂😂

too bloody right they don’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first car (in 1995) was a 1982 MK1 Fiesta. It had a manual choke, points and due to poverty spec a foot operated screen wash pump :D

 

No thanks. Modern cares might be difficult to do anything with yourself but for a daily driver I wouldn't go back. My 90's hatch is about the sweet spot between easy to do yourself and reliability and that'll do me nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Took my car in for its 2nd service today and they tried to sell me some engine cleaner fuel additive for £15 supposedly to help 'clean the engine'. 
I wonder if its worth buying?!?


Whenever someone takes their car in for service complaining about a rough idle/cylinder misfire, the first thing they do is have you clear out your gas tank (bad gas) and then have you pour a bottle of that additive in. If that doesn’t solve it, then they dig further. For $18 I use the OEM additive every 10,000 miles. I just figured at that price, why not. Will it clean the tops of the valves? Nope? Will it clean injectors? Possibly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few points on the dual injection:

 

At idle and low loads only the port injectors are used.

At medium loads both port and direct injectors used

Only at high loads does it switch to direct injectors only.

 

The primary reason VW started to use port injectors was to meet EU6 emissions targets. At low loads, efficiency is reduced with direct injection as the lower intake air speed and volume results in an uneven air fuel mixture and hence combustion efficiency is reduced.

 

For NA and some ROW markets such emission requirements were not needed, and of course if they don't have to do something they won't - to save money. The fact this also resolved the carbon build up problem was just a side effect as far as they were concerned - obviously they didn't care enough to leave it on for the NA markets.

 

Another effect of dual injection is that real world MPG is better on euro models than NA models.

 

Another side effect is idle is a lot better than past TSI engines - which have always had (or developed) the TSI/FSI twitch/heartbeat, where you can feel the engine soft misfiring on occasion.

 

The NA market really did get boned on this - dual injection has a lot of benefits!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if the 2018 built Golf R MK7.5 which is sold in Australia with the DJHB engine is multi-port injected or direct injected? My dealer has no idea and claims to have no knowledge of carbon build up issues with any of the TFSI engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a long chat with a bloke that works for a fuel additive company.  He maintained that BRANDED fuels were mostly much of a muchness and if you're buying super to go branded not supermarket, as the supermarket ones don't typically have the nice things that clean up your engine's gizzards.

 

In my experience with carbed bikes, Redex can foul plugs but if you chucked branded super through every few tanks (the R obviously wants super every tank if possible) the carbs and plugs etc all looked like new, eliminating the need for additional additives.

 

Edit:. Obviously fuel additives only clean where fuel goes.  This won't help US cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2018 at 03:54, NetSpyder said:

Does anyone know if the 2018 built Golf R MK7.5 which is sold in Australia with the DJHB engine is multi-port injected or direct injected? My dealer has no idea and claims to have no knowledge of carbon build up issues with any of the TFSI engines.

How strange, a Dealer having no idea! At least yours admitted it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2018 at 07:56, Baldchap said:

I had a long chat with a bloke that works for a fuel additive company.  He maintained that BRANDED fuels were mostly much of a muchness and if you're buying super to go branded not supermarket, as the supermarket ones don't typically have the nice things that clean up your engine's gizzards.

 

In my experience with carbed bikes, Redex can foul plugs but if you chucked branded super through every few tanks (the R obviously wants super every tank if possible) the carbs and plugs etc all looked like new, eliminating the need for additional additives.

 

Edit:. Obviously fuel additives only clean where fuel goes.  This won't help US cars.

 

The big name fuel companies have their own refineries and distribution, so know what additives are present. 

Others buy on the spot market so you get whatever they bought in Rotterdam or wherever from whoever the previous week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2018 at 08:37, mustard said:

Back in the day, well my grandfather's anyway, a decoke of the engine was required at regular intervals.

Had a 2 stroke moped at 16. Every three months used to dismantle exhaust and put silencer baffles in a can to brun off the coke. Ran a lot better after that for a few weeks.

 

Agree with others on here, old cars were crap. Manual chokes, drum brakes, little silver tinfoil rear window heaters, new exhaust every couple of years, new battery every year or so, and regularly recharging in winter.

 

Most youngsters today don’t even have (or need) a toolkit. When I bought my first car had a socket set and a tool box in the boot all the time, just in case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a call from Volkwagen Australia confirming that the current 2018 Golf R MK7.5 is fitted with the DJHB engine. This means the Golf R MK7.5 is being imported to Australia with same engine design as supplied in Europe - the multi-port and direct injection system. This will be on comfort for those Australian buyers concerned about carbon build up issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...