hostman

Coolant alert on 66 reg

Hi,

just been out out in the car, coolant alert has popped up.  Parked up and the level is well below minimum.

What should I check for before topping up?  Any particular type of coolant I should use?

Its due in for a 2nd service later this month.  Mileage just over 20k.

Hi,

just been out out in the car, coolant alert has popped up.  Parked up and the level is well below minimum.

What should I check for before topping up?  Any particular type of coolant I should use?

Its due in for a 2nd service later this month.  Mileage just over 20k.

Well I'd get it checked under warranty in the first instance, otherwise you may be pissing your money down the toilet, to coin a phrase..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Theres i a common fault where the water pump / thermostat housing fails and leaks. You mat be able to smell coolant but its hard to see as it sits on the top of the undertray rather than leaks to the ground.

Should be under warranty for you, i think it can be about £550 to fix otherwise. 

Google it, its a common one sadly.

When was it last checked?  

Top up with G13 coolant, diluted preferably with deionised water.  

Some cars have airlocks in the system but by 20k miles that should be long gone.  Water pump leaks and thermostat housing problems resulting in drop in coolant are not uncommon so I’d get it checked whilst under warranty. 

I don't think theres any need to panic just yet with people jumping to quote prices for new water pumps and what not.

Happened to my car around 5k miles ago. I was at 25k miles I have a 17 plate. Coolant light came up I topped it off with G13 and it hasnt budged since :)

Coolant cost around £6 from ECP if you class that as p*ssing down the drain...

3 hours ago, EcosseGolfR said:

Is there a factory brand of G13 coolant or can I simply top up with any G13? Basically can you mix n match as long as it's G13?

Yes there’s a VW/Audi G13 coolant.  You can get ready mixed or concentrate (part no. G013A8JM1) which needs to be mixed with water (pref DI water).  

Amazon and eBay. 

I don't think theres any need to panic just yet with people jumping to quote prices for new water pumps and what not.

Happened to my car around 5k miles ago. I was at 25k miles I have a 17 plate. Coolant light came up I topped it off with G13 and it hasnt budged since

Coolant cost around £6 from ECP if you class that as p*ssing down the drain...

Lol, it's the principle here I would argue..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mines going in to replace the thermostat and water pump on Monday when I mentioned about the drop in my coolant on my service last last Friday. They  had a TSB out for it and they are doing the work.

Mines a 66 plate and clocked about 17K miles now.